MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,080
After getting the 8mbps ADSL plan last month, my SNR dropped to less than 6, and thus disconnections every 3-4 mins, I changed the modulation to G.DMT, after which it stays between 6.5 to 10. I get disconnections but like once every 3-5 hours now. Line attenuation stays at 40 to 45. The mtnl guys say they have twisted pair cables in my area and cant do anything about it, and advise me to change plan to lower speed. I wanna give it one last shot. Do i replace my mtnl router with a TP-Link or Asus one from Flipkart. Is that gonna help?

akashniko said:
After getting the 8mbps ADSL plan last month, my SNR dropped to less than 6, and thus disconnections every 3-4 mins, I changed the modulation to G.DMT, after which it stays between 6.5 to 10. I get disconnections but like once every 3-5 hours now. Line attenuation stays at 40 to 45. The mtnl guys say they have twisted pair cables in my area and cant do anything about it, and advise me to change plan to lower speed. I wanna give it one last shot. Do i replace my mtnl router with a TP-Link or Asus one from Flipkart. Is that gonna help?
i dont think so a new modem will help at all... the linesman has answered your question... but if you have spare money you can give it a shot... i got a tp link 8817, but i dont want to again get into an argument with the idiots... hence i am on the 8mbps plan but speed profile is 4mbps...maybe you can also stick to the same plan but ask them to reduce your speed profile.. i get 10hr sessions on 4mbps and its sufficient for loading 1080p videos with negligible buffering... otherwise 720p videos load with no issues on youtube...

x720 said:
I am pretty sure that they keep the quality of their mobile services low. Despite having spectrum in the 900MHz band, coverage is abysmal and the network is ridden with glitches. WiMax is dead, AFAIK.
Still born more likely :) There was some company trying out Broadband over power lines in Pune & Mumbai, I wonder what happened to that technology, imagine BEST/TATA Power & Reliance Power giving broadband !!!!

kartoonz said:
i dont think so a new modem will help at all... the linesman has answered your question... but if you have spare money you can give it a shot... i got a TP-Link 8817, but i dont want to again get into an argument with the idiots... hence i am on the 8mbps plan but speed profile is 4mbps...maybe you can also stick to the same plan but ask them to reduce your speed profile.. i get 10hr sessions on 4mbps and its sufficient for loading 1080p videos with negligible buffering... otherwise 720p videos load with no issues on youtube...
Is changing profile possible through fone? cuz the aunties won't understand this

socrates said:
Still born more likely :) There was some company trying out Broadband over power lines in Pune & Mumbai, I wonder what happened to that technology, imagine BEST/TATA Power & Reliance Power giving broadband !!!!
lol...i think they must have been bribed as well...
akashniko said:
Is changing profile possible through fone? cuz the aunties won't understand this
i got it done through the local exchange... you can call 12540 from your landline and tell them your problem and change the profile to 4mbps...should be done in 10-15 mins max

ADSL Firmware Version​
:​
FwVer:3.20.17.0_TC3087 HwVer:T14.F7_11.2
Line State​
Showtime
Modulation​
ADSL2 PLUS
Annex Mode​
ANNEX_M
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin​
23.5 14.4 db
Line Attenuation​
12.4 7.6 db
Data Rate​
8192 2045 kbps
Max Rate​
19776 2469 kbps
CRC​
0 0
My stats of Tp-linlk TD-W8951ND...finally Annex M & ADSL+2 was activated after port change :peaceful: ..got new Alcatel port..(182.xx.)

sanke1 said:
Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser's addressbar
Username: admin
Password: admin
and then browse through your modem's interface to find those statistics.
Don't fix if it ain't broken.
Sanke1 - I tried this, but it is not working. Can you please help.
Guys, there is a lot of jargon being used on this forum such as SNR (which I understand is Signal to Noise Ratio), CRC, modem stats etc. Can anyone explain to me how I can get these stats for my connection at home. Thanks once again.

bone_china said:
Sanke1 - I tried this, but it is not working. Can you please help.
Guys, there is a lot of jargon being used on this forum such as SNR (which I understand is Signal to Noise Ratio), CRC, modem stats etc. Can anyone explain to me how I can get these stats for my connection at home. Thanks once again.
What part of it isn't working? Are you unable to log in to the modem? Please post your modem model #.
Also, was the modem configured by MTNL themselves? Do you have the admin username/pass (if they've changed it)

Back