MTNL Broadband: 8mbps Plans

• Thread starter Thread starter Atul
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,949
  • Views Views 264,080
kartoonz said:
i dont think so a new modem will help at all... the linesman has answered your question... but if you have spare money you can give it a shot... i got a TP-Link 8817, but i dont want to again get into an argument with the idiots... hence i am on the 8mbps plan but speed profile is 4mbps...maybe you can also stick to the same plan but ask them to reduce your speed profile.. i get 10hr sessions on 4mbps and its sufficient for loading 1080p videos with negligible buffering... otherwise 720p videos load with no issues on youtube...
I went to the exchange, dialled 12540 in front of them, asked him to reduce my profile, that guy refused to do it LOL. The clerk at the centre asked me to shift to a 4mbps plan and try for a month. Lets see what happens now.

Got the linesman to use a different cable pair from the junction box to my house. SNR remains unchanged after this exercise.
As I see it, the problem can be extremely local - inside the house, or from the junction box to their office. Maybe a change in port will help.
@sanke1 - how much of a difference does re-crimping connectors make?

enkay said:
@sanke1 - how much of a difference does re-crimping connectors make?
It made huge difference on VDSL. A new wire from junction box with it's crimped end directly to splitter did the trick.My sync speed jumped from 15 Mbps to 55 Mbps. I cannot tell how much difference it would have made on ADSL. VDSL is extremely sensitive to line conditions compared to ADSL.By the way internet is very laggy today. Few timeouts experienced. Reliance money must have reached the offices.

akashniko said:
I went to the exchange, dialled 12540 in front of them, asked him to reduce my profile, that guy refused to do it LOL. The clerk at the centre asked me to shift to a 4mbps plan and try for a month. Lets see what happens now.
lodge a complaint here pgportal.gov.in/
i did the same and then got a call the 2nd day from the prabhadevi head office and explained them the problem... they contacted the local exchange and then the broadband incharge himself suggested to reduce the speed to 6mbps for a day.... this didnt work out, so then he reduced it to 4mbps and i have been on the same profile since 2 weeks... below are my latest stats...

enkay said:
What part of it isn't working? Are you unable to log in to the modem? Please post your modem model #.
Also, was the modem configured by MTNL themselves? Do you have the admin username/pass (if they've changed it)
I tried 192.168.1.1 and then it asked me for the user id and password which I keyed in as "Admin" "Admin" and it is not acccepting. I do not have the user name and password. The modem was configured by the MTNL guys themselves who came home to install it, it is Binatone DM 856W modem.

bone_china said:
I tried 192.168.1.1 and then it asked me for the user id and password which I keyed in as "Admin" "Admin" and it is not acccepting. I do not have the user name and password. The modem was configured by the MTNL guys themselves who came home to install it, it is Binatone DM 856W modem.
Most likely the password to access the modem will be either your telephone no, CA number or it may even be written below the modem. Try these. Else the only other way out is to reset the modem. Unless you are confident of setting up your ADSL login, don't bother with that step.

Use admin as username & password which is printed on the sticker..(wifi/admin password)..please see the base of the modem for it..even i have this modem

Back