MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

I would not trust any Indian ISP regarding data privacy
their ads are making sites unusable, blocking the ad do not works pages get stuck at waiting for 203..,adphonso.. and gives a blank page so you have refresh every page 2-3 times ..for now only VPN is working as they cannot tamper the encrypted data
if this delhi mtnl experiment will become successful it would soon spread to other ISPs too as they care only about the profits though I do not think they would make anything max than Rs 10-20 per month from each subscriber with these ads

chromaniac said:
Have you guys filed a complaint with PGPortal?
I didn't because stupid mtnl will send the lineman to fix the problem :offended:

Update: It seems MTNL is even pushing these popups on mobile phones and tablets. Furthermore, you might find that at times when you try to open a website, it does not open and in your status bar, it says waiting for 203.94.243.40. This is the ad server of MTNL, and since access to it is now blocked, it is preventing your browser from opening the page. In such a case, it is best to close the browser and reopen it to remedy the problem.
http://www.yogeshsarkar.com/blog/2014/04/12/how-to-block-mtnl-popups/ (last para)
I am facing this problem

May be they've kept my IP (I have a fixed IP) out of this Adphonso c*ap because a I raised a shindig with the CMD and the Secretary, DOT as well as the National Human Rights Commission :nono:
I don't get to see the "waiting for 203.94.243.40" thing at all!

I haven't seen the Google AdSense ad since then but Adphonso popups still pop up from time to time. It's worse on mobile devices as I don't want to install VPN apps on my phone & whenever that adphonso popup appears on phone, it sort of breaks the scrolling of site which is quite frustrating.

Regarding RTI, won't it be better to file this in a consumer court. As mentioned above I also think they certainly wouldn't have added this in the terms. They are breaking their duty as an ISP. Their job is to carry the bits requested by the consumer, not add things on it. I mean if some ISP did this in US, that ISP wouldn't have been spared by the media and consumers alike.

alanwake said:
I mean if some ISP did this in US, that ISP wouldn't have been spared by the media and consumers alike.
In Europe, websites cannot even set cookies if user does not accept them. Now all the sites have to show "Do you want to accept cookies?" message in Europe and the user gets to choose. If you do not display this message, your site gets blocked or you are taken to court.

Europe is also forcing Google to let people become invisible on the internet. Which means that Google would be forced to remove links to public web pages just because it makes some individuals uncomfortable. EU has some good policies but overall they are sounding like douches.

but in India the Indian govt ISP itself is creating all the mess
so even if someone takes mtnl to the court it could take years to reach a solution

any advocate on IBF willing to fight against mtnl :p

Back