MTNL Broadband is injecting ads on your computer pretending it's a feature

O6ABNEG.jpg

Is this not illegal? Damn it is.. ! Man in the middle traffic tampering, data consumption, privacy, security concerns. + Net Neutrality issues

I had 203.94.227.140 blocked in my router D-Link ADSL Wifi. But while opening pages, Firefox showed waiting for 203.94.227.140 in the status bar below for good 5-8 seconds after which the pages were starting to load. Pings were normal. Hence I created a custom filter in AdBlock Plus to block that IP address and voila! My internet is miles better now. Pages load instantly and there is no lag of 5-8 seconds.

I think that ad server 203.94.227.140 is getting burdened serving ads to millions of users at the same time. Hence many people are reporting lag on websites. Chrome or IE/Edge do not show which IP address they are waiting to receive data from.

Moral, just block it at browser level in AdBlock as my dear friend @mtnlpacked3 mentioned.

I blocked this weeks ago, no ADS since then. Router block to host file block is useless.

This is why I blocked the network with my Comodo firewall (and you SHOULD be using Comodo).

Do this in Comodo.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Security Settings
> Firewall > Global Rules > (Right click and ADD a new rule) >

Action: Block
Protocol: TCP or UDP
Direction: In or Out
Description: MTNL #1
Source Address: Type IPv4

Create another rule similar to this and change description to MTNL #2, then change the source IP to 203.094.243.063

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you go. Blocked. No more ADS, no need to mess with host files or router. Takes less than 15 seconds.

Just an FYI, if you have NoScript in Firefox installed, it will show you the IP of these ADS on every page. You can block them if they change the IP's in the future, but I don't think they will.

ABP allows ad companies go be added to a 'whitelist' by paying up. I believe people who allow text ads see those ads then. If you've blocked all ads, its all the same.

Back