• Thread starter Thread starter shaunak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 7,442

shaunak

ISP
MTNL Ultd
Hi,

I am subscribed to a 512k line. For the past 2 weeks I am getting very slow speeds. The line is not to stable either, and youtube has become unusable.

Some speed tests-

SNR figures:
SNR Margin : 8.5 7.0 db
Line Attenuation : 41.0 28.5 db
Data Rate : 2048 928 kbps
[used to be 21dB at 512k]

Happened to me around yesterday 1800 - 1815 hrs speeds are around 0.39 Mbps :wall: Speed has crashed from 0.51 Mbps to 0.39 Mbps. There has been no change in the sync rate, only the attenuation has REDUCED but my speed has crashed. have a feeling that its become policy to THROTTLE the speed to 80% :( . I am finding it difficult to post here as the page gives an error at least twice before I succeed.

Yeah. Its frustrating. Dear MTNL, I dont want 2M on Sundays, just give my my normal speed so I can get on with my work the rest of the week! [PS: Throughout sunday, except for a couple of hours, I got like 200k, which was worse.]

@shaunak - your SNR marign is too low and line attenuation is too high.first thing you do is place a complaint on 198.

It used to be a good 24dB when my port speed was set to 512K. It fell after they increased it to 2M for april. I have written to then to this effect and asked them to set it back, but have got no reply.Do I place a complain for a general line fault (with a vague symptom like "noise") or do I specify the issue with all its technical details?

IF i was you i would have done following....Pick up handset and lisen to it is there any noise in line ?if not clear line then book complaint wait and see..if still noting then wouldhave gotten my line wire changed .To have stable connection Always on you must get Snr 25+ .....For youtube you will need 1 mbs line then buffer won't happen..... :thumb:

I am not complaining about the buffer. The line sorta disconnects midway and reconnects.... thus preventing the video from buffering as well.PS: No noise that I can tell. This started happening only after MTNL started the 2M scheme on Sundays [thereby increasing the port speed]. Earlier my port speed was 512K and I had a good SNR.

Hi

I am facing frequent disconnections, despite being looked at by the Lineman and even escalated to the DGM / GM / ED levels at Prabhadevi. There is no noise nor any disturbance on the landline.

My MTNL Triband plan is 1 mbps unlimited @ 999 and my modem is D-Link 502T. Here are the details

SNR Margin (dB): Downstream 12 Upstream 7

Line Attenuation (dB): Downstream 50 Upstream 30

What could be wrong? Sometimes I get no disconnection for couple of hours and if disconnected, I have to constantly switch off and on my modem to reconnect.

The good part is on Sundays I receive 2 mbps as promised and on other days 1 mbps. However, since past few days the connection gives me speed of 40 kbps or 5 KBps. Today it's been erratic ranging from 40 kbps to 950 kbps or 0.95 mbps. Besides the disconnection issue, I have to purposely reconnect too to get the speed as per my tariff..which is 1 mbps.

Please can someone guide me? Thanks in advance.

low snr means poor line quality . also check the splitter
Line Attenuation is used to calculate distance from exchange and speed which he can attain

Back