MTNL Broadband: Miserable speeds on a 512k line

• Thread starter Thread starter shaunak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 7,442
sify also had that cablewalla problem... as the name suggest, they own cables of distribution !

^ Yeah Fivenet is good but the trouble is they supply through the cablewalla. Two problems with that. Firstly, the cabelwalla has his own favourite upline and he may not want to switch to Fivenet as in my area. Second issue is that even if your cablewalla condescends to supply you Fivenet, the price will be quoted by the cablewalla. This price has no relationship with the price Fivenet publishes.

Apart from the points you mentioned, basically the business model (mentioned in detail in other threads/post & on this forum & on my blog ) of operating thru the local cable wallah for the last mile connectivity is BS for one
These wires running over the tree top's/terraces/gallery's of diff bldgs. (prone to power surges which can destroy your LAN card/Motherboard & more )
Taking power legally/illegally enroute. (Many times customer providing the power may switch off & that is the end of your 24x7 'service'.
They just cannot technically cope with problems if/when they arise.
This joker may suddenly stop his service if he has a issue with the the company providing the bandwidth.
These are some of the problems faced (by me in the past) & currently by others in my area (some thing NEVER change).:evil:

Apart from the points you mentioned, basically the business model (mentioned in detail in other threads/post & on this forum & on my blog ) of operating thru the local cable wallah for the last mile connectivity is BS for one
These wires running over the tree top's/terraces/gallery's of diff bldgs. (prone to power surges which can destroy your LAN card/Motherboard & more )
Taking power legally/illegally enroute. (Many times customer providing the power may switch off & that is the end of your 24x7 'service'.
They just cannot technically cope with problems if/when they arise.
This joker may suddenly stop his service if he has a issue with the the company providing the bandwidth.
These are some of the problems faced (by me in the past) & currently by others in my area (some thing NEVER change).:evil:
Definitely agree with u on that. a couple of days back my HNS net was down for almost a day. the reason??... some idiot switched off the power supply to the cablewallas switch by mistake !!! this is just one of the many 'disasters' that happen every now n then. :(
unfortunately inspite of all this crap we have to stick with the service coz most of the times it the only option.

Definitely agree with u on that. a couple of days back my HNS net was down for almost a day. the reason??... some idiot switched off the power supply to the cablewallas switch by mistake !!! this is just one of the many 'disasters' that happen every now n then. :(
unfortunately inspite of all this crap we have to stick with the service coz most of the times it the only option.

Yup agree I was part og the 'Sify Sufferers club' for over 3 years then switched to MTNL after they started in 2005.

@socrates I was part of that s..... club too and switching to MTNL was a huge relief as I did not have to interact with the local cable goons.

I had this exact problem when I had IQARA as my ISP. This despite the fact that the cablewalla wasn't involved. Apparently some box from which they supplied their 3-4 customers in our building required power and this was provided by one of the customers. This guy used to switch it off whenever he felt like it.

similar thing happening with tikona?

tikona is useless . i try tikona wifi . sify from cable wala . plus some other local isp main probme is even there switch or access point get switch off u get disconnected about 3-5 hours

Recently I heard of a neighbour in my colony who had a Tata Indicom connection & had paid for SIX months subscription (in advance) found that the cable walah stopped this 'service' coz of some dispute with Tata Indicom.:iomg: He was offered a Sify connection & paid for another SIX month subscription in advance (total of ONE YEAR) :iomg::O:whistle: I mention this to highlight the innocence, ignorance & reluctance (dividing line between innocence & idiocy is very small ) of individuals to enquire with their neigbours of their experiences nor do they search the net.:wall: After doing all this he mentions this to me casually about QOS by MTNL. :hysterical: as he is thinking to shift after ONE YEAR. :hysterical::whistle:

Recently I heard of a neighbour in my colony who had a Tata Indicom connection & had paid for SIX months subscription (in advance) found that the cable walah stopped this 'service' coz of some dispute with Tata Indicom.:iomg: He was offered a Sify connection & paid for another SIX month subscription in advance (total of ONE YEAR) :iomg::O:whistle: I mention this to highlight the innocence, ignorance & reluctance (dividing line between innocence & idiocy is very small ) of individuals to enquire with their neigbours of their experiences nor do they search the net.:wall: After doing all this he mentions this to me casually about QOS by MTNL. :hysterical: as he is thinking to shift after ONE YEAR. :hysterical::whistle:

Real Dumbo :)

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Yup agree I was part og the 'Sify Sufferers club' for over 3 years then switched to MTNL after they started in 2005.

I was on Tata Indicom when they first came to my area & that was a very unpleasant experience to say the least :(

Back