MTNL Mumbai: Rs. 999 for Unlimited Data (3 Months Promotional Plan)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 196
  • Views Views 37,874
Mtnl 3g has serious issues with network and signals. I was getting good signals till yesterday. Now, since yesterday evening no signal whatsoever. I can get some signal on the road, but soon after you get into an enclosed space (like shop, house etc) no signal. I'll have a serious talk with them about this once my card activates.

Michael clarke fan said:
Mtnl 3g has serious issues with network and signals. I was getting good signals till yesterday. Now, since yesterday evening no signal whatsoever. I can get some signal on the road, but soon after you get into an enclosed space (like shop, house etc) no signal. I'll have a serious talk with them about this once my card activates.
This is to be expected, which is why I suggested you to order dongle only if you're satisfied with the network, speed, etc.
In my case - After using it for a couple of days, it is clear this can never be a replacement for a rock solid wireline broadband connection.
Aside All - Sometimes the "H" symbols disappears and downloads stop all of a sudden. This happens in tethering mode and it looks like the connection is going into dormancy. It returns to normalcy when I start a browsing session on the handset itself. Any idea whats going on? Do I need some kind of a keep-alive software or something on the phone(note 2) being used as a hotspot? Thanks

sanke1 said:
Note 2 Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 21 Mbps
Note 3 Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 42 Mbps
MTNL 3G Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 3.6 Mbps
Actual 3G speed using speedtest: 2.3 Mbps (between 200-280 kBps)
So whatever device you use, you will never get speed more than 2.3 Mbps in Mumbai and Delhi.
However on BSNL 3G network, you can get speed up to 6 Mbps as some towers are 7.2 Mbps capable.
Thanks alot Sanke1. That pretty much sums it up!

Mate, I bought dongle for future purposes. I have to go to pune also many times. I have reliance 3g sim, idea 3g sim as well. So, I bought the dongle. Thank you for all your help guys. And yes, the 3.5g signal has again come back to my place. And, it has good network. Mtnl network is very fluctuating. Lol.

Mate, I bought dongle for future purposes. I have to go to pune also many times. I have reliance 3g sim, idea 3g sim as well. So, I bought the dongle. Thank you for all your help guys. And yes, the 3.5g signal has again come back to my place. And, it has good network. Mtnl network is very fluctuating. Lol.

Michael clarke fan said:
Great. For travel purpose i think this is perfect, but offcourse just as you, Im also new to it so I will leave it to the experts for final comments.
Same here though, speeds fluctuate like anything but its not affecting me much as im using it mainly for downloads.

Michael clarke fan said:
i usually get good signal. But when mtnl3g signals are lost, i research and i always get bsnl3g signal..

My sim got activated yesterday. My dongle came today, put dongle on forced 3g mode. Getting 1-2 bars of umts/hsdpa signal on dongle. Activated 22rs./1day/ 150 mb recharge. Was getting a speed of 110 KBps-210 KBps speed. Speed was fluctuating though. Now its time to use USB extension to dongle, it will improve signal. My zte mf190 dongle is good, takes very little time to install and all the settings were already saved after inserting the card. So far so good, but it all depends upon the signals. I'll try it out on different times of day to see the signals and speed variation. And, then only I'll activate 999 rs plan.

Michael clarke fan said:
My sim got activated yesterday. My dongle came today, put dongle on forced 3g mode. Getting 1-2 bars of umts/hsdpa signal on dongle. Activated 22rs./1day/ 150 mb recharge. Was getting a speed of 110 KBps-210 KBps speed. Speed was fluctuating though. Now its time to use USB extension to dongle, it will improve signal. My zte mf190 dongle is good, takes very little time to install and all the settings were already saved after inserting the card. So far so good, but it all depends upon the signals. I'll try it out on different times of day to see the signals and speed variation. And, then only I'll activate 999 rs plan.
if difference between best signal place and your pc is 3-4 meter, then go for simple extension cable (also called PASSIVE EXTENSION CABLE).. But if difference is beyond 5 meter, then i will recommend ACTIVE EXTENSION CABLE..

I've found the sweet spot. There's no need of extension cable. I've tried 3-4 times during the day. I was getting 150+ KBps speed on torrent on avg. It was also going over 200KBps sometimes. Tomorrow I'll recharge with 999 rs. after this plan expires. I have my download list ready. Lol.

Back