MTNL Mumbai: Rs. 999 for Unlimited Data (3 Months Promotional Plan)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 196
  • Views Views 37,880
lol. 3G should be activated instantly. You might not have 3g signals at your place. Use the phone/dongle in force 3G mode and check.

Michael clarke fan said:
My brother luckily managed to get his sim activated today. He doesn't use internet, but i recharged with 22rs for 1 day, 150 mb data half an hour back. It still is on gprs mode not 3g mode. I asked customer care and they said 3g would be activated within half an hour. I will update tomorrow what happens. No retailer does recharge of mtnl for data pack. y retailer didn't even know the recharge of 999 rs for unltd 3g internet. I had to use my debit card for a recharge of 22 rs. So far mtnl has been a pain in the a#se.
pain in the a$$ huh??
Welcome to MTNL my friend!!
learned your first lesson..

I might not have 3g signals in my area. Now even normal 2g internet is not working. This whole idea for me was a waste of time and efforts. If mtnl can't give 3g coverage in entire Mumbai, why would they start 3g sim cards. In manual network selection mode, yesterday I saw dolphin 3g as a network. But soon after connecting it to my laptop, it reverted to 2g. And since then, I haven't seen 3g dolphin in networks. I'd suggest everyone to check availability of mtnl 3g before buying sim or dongle. Surprisingly, some other people bought the same mtnl 3g card from that shop. I wonder if they are getting 3g signal.

Update- I dunno if its correct info or not. Mtnl customer care said they have problem with 3g servers getting 2g speed. They said it would be sorted out today evening. But my brother's going today evening. So if it gets sorted out before he departs, then I could tell. But I still doubt if here in my area there is decenr 3g connectivity.

Hi Guys, following your helpful advice, I got my sim from an exchange yesterday and my connection started almost instantly.
Im on 999 plan and my downloads have started non-stop as of last night, oh boy are they going to regret selling me an unlimited plan lol.
On an average im getting 200kbps of download speeds, which is not great but not too bad also considering its unlimited.
Im using the SIM in a note 2(which is my hotspot) and tethering onto my laptop and another Note 3.
Any suggestions on how to increase the speeds and/or reduce the fluctuations. Also, Im getting the "H" symbol, shouldn't this be "3G"?
Thanks a bunch!

3G (384kbps) < H (HSDPA-3.6/7.2/14.4mbps) < H+ (HSPA+ 21MBPS). So what you are getting is correct since mtnl has 3.6mbps towers at most of place.
These are the part of 3G evolution also known as 3.5G and 3.75G.

rj27 said:
3G (384kbps) < H (HSDPA-3.6/7.2/14.4mbps) < H+ (HSPA+ 21MBPS). So what you are getting is correct since mtnl has 3.6mbps towers at most of place.
These are the part of 3G evolution also known as 3.5G and 3.75G.
Oh wow, so im actually getting more than 3G. How come my speeds are so low though.
Also, sometimes this "H" keeps fluctuating with "E". Anyway to make it stick? Thanks

Well those are theoretical speeds of these specifications and all of these termed as 3G. E (EDGE) is when the phone is latching to the 2G network because of weak 3G signal.

You can force the phone to stay on 3G mode by going to Settings->More Networks->Mobile Networks->Network Mode->WCDMA only.

This way phone will stay on 3G only.

Still not getting 3g. Asked customer care if my area has 3g connectivity, they saidy area has 3g connectivity. Yesterday I tried with E signal, was getting 4-5 KBps only. Lol. In manual network selection option, dolphin 3g is not available. Anyways my brother has gone now. I tried forcing wcdma only, it didn't work. Only my home doesn't have 3g signal perhaps.

Michael clarke fan said:
Still not getting 3g. Asked customer care if my area has 3g connectivity, they saidy area has 3g connectivity. Yesterday I tried with E signal, was getting 4-5 KBps only. Lol. In manual network selection option, dolphin 3g is not available. Anyways my brother has gone now. I tried forcing wcdma only, it didn't work. Only my home doesn't have 3g signal perhaps.
bro, i would like to tell you about one thing..
Just put your mtnl sim in the mobile, and go on the roof.. Go in the different directions, and try to find out the maximum 3g signal tower occurs or not (if possible, then bring a wooden stair and try to find out signal with the help of it; as it will bring the maximum height)

now if you find the 3g signal, then it is jackpot.. And now u will need a 3g data card, ACTIVE EXTENSION CABLE(upto ur pc), and a 2 meter lightweight pipe (to be put on roof so that u can attach data card on its maximum height).. and if u want to operate many instruments via wifi, then a 3g SIM ROUTER will be required instead of extension cable and 3g data card..

u might be thinking that how can i tell u about this rubbish setup.. then bro i would like to clarify that i was facing the same situation as yours in delhi, but above setup worked great for me (3g data card, pipe and passivd EXTENSION CABLE).. :-) :-)

Back