MTNL Mumbai: Rs. 999 for Unlimited Data (3 Months Promotional Plan)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 196
  • Views Views 37,874
Michael clarke fan said:
Unfortunately I live in a flat on 2nd floor and its a 10 floor building. I lodged a complain for not getting 3g. Let's see what happens.
then you'll have to check signals outside your window.
If signal exists, then you need just around 5m extension cable and try to put your dongle outside window..

As I said earlier my brother and I bought 2 mtnl 3g sims. My brother went to pune. And my sim is yet to be activated. I didn't want to insert that in my moto g, as i would have had to cut mtnl sim. So I inserted that in my old Nokia e72 phone, with forced umts network. And now it is showing 3.5g, but it is yet to be activated, good thing its showing 3.5 g signal.

Michael clarke fan said:
As I said earlier my brother and I bought 2 mtnl 3g sims. My brother went to pune. And my sim is yet to be activated. I didn't want to insert that in my moto g, as i would have had to cut mtnl sim. So I inserted that in my old Nokia e72 phone, with forced umts network. And now it is showing 3.5g, but it is yet to be activated, good thing its showing 3.5 g signal.
if it is showing 3-4 signal bars out of 5, then its ok for mtnl3g. And u can get good speeds..
But if there are either 1 or 2 bars, then speed is going to be affected for sure..

Thank you bro. It is showing 3-4 bars of signal.Should I buy a dongle? Sim isn't activated yet but still 3.5g signal on my Nokia E72 is showing which should mean there is 3g network here.

Michael clarke fan said:
Thank you bro. It is showing 3-4 bars of signal.Should I buy a dongle? Sim isn't activated yet but still 3.5g signal on my Nokia E72 is showing which should mean there is 3g network here.
I would suggest testing it thoroughly with existing setup and only if satisfied, order the dongle. By the looks of it, your home is going to be your primary location of use and if you are already having signal issue then it wont go away just by getting a dongle. Hope this helps.
Aside All - As an update, im still doing approx 200kbps on an average. This is at home as well as while travelling.
Someone mentioned specs earlier so was wondering if using Note 3 as a hot spot instead of Note 2 will make any difference to the download speeds.
Any other suggestions on how to increase the download speeds, Thanks

ace said:
I would suggest testing it thoroughly with existing setup and only if satisfied, order the dongle. By the looks of it, your home is going to be your primary location of use and if you are already having signal issue then it wont go away just by getting a dongle. Hope this helps.
Aside All - As an update, im still doing approx 200kbps on an average. This is at home as well as while travelling.
Someone mentioned specs earlier so was wondering if using Note 3 as a hot spot instead of Note 2 will make any difference to the download speeds.
Any other suggestions on how to increase the download speeds, Thanks
Note 2 Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 21 Mbps
Note 3 Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 42 Mbps
MTNL 3G Maximum HSDPA speed supported: 3.6 Mbps
Actual 3G speed using speedtest: 2.3 Mbps (between 200-280 kBps)
So whatever device you use, you will never get speed more than 2.3 Mbps in Mumbai and Delhi.
However on BSNL 3G network, you can get speed up to 6 Mbps as some towers are 7.2 Mbps capable.

@x720 I'll buy a dongle zte MF 190. It's worth 950 rs on snapdeal. It is the most popular 3g dongle on flipkart. But can you force 3g mode on this modem? I think I've found a spot where there is good 3g signal. I forced 3g mode on my Nokia e72, it is consistently 3.5g at that spot(though not activated, but still phone shows dolphin 3.5g).

Michael clarke fan said:
@x720 I'll buy a dongle zte MF 190. It's worth 950 rs on snapdeal. It is the most popular 3g dongle on flipkart. But can you force 3g mode on this modem? I think I've found a spot where there is good 3g signal. I forced 3g mode on my Nokia e72, it is consistently 3.5g at that spot(though not activated, but still phone shows dolphin 3.5g).
then i think it should work. Try to activate very small 3g plan and use it at the maximum signal area and update here.. :-)

@TRU25 thank you very much mate. I'll start with a recharge of 22 Rs. I ordered the dongle from flipkart. It will be delivered after 3-4 days. After sim activation and using the dongle I'll update. Thnx once again.

Back