New Promotional BSNL Broadband Plan BBG SPEED COMBO ULD 1091 CS70 Plan - 8 Mbps till 60 Gb

So I managed to snap up this plan too, requested a change to it from the self care website last month. Got switched over on Sept 30th, got a notification via SMS. As a bonus, I got unmonitored usage at 4mbps from the time of switch on 30th morning till the next IP refresh on 1st October. Scored around 30GB :D

However similar to many who posted here, they didn't change my speed to 8mbps for a while. Registered a complaint on the website but it got closed automatically after three days :p

Went over to the exchange, had a talk with the engg. He explained they were having issues at the exchange since Oct 2, mostly due to the switch to 2mbps/1GB. That had caused a lot of complaints to come in, and all of them (including my unrelated complain) were closed automatically after the issues were dealt with. He set me up at 10000/768 kbps (down/up) initially, which gave me an SNR margin of 10-11/6-7 dB. Caused my connection to lose sync every few hours. Got him to set it at ~8100/500 kbps, it's now at 14-16/6-7 dB.

Actual speeds I am getting are a fair bit lower than 8mbps though, and I was told to expect that by the engg. Burst speeds are reaching 8mbps, and I can get steady speeds of around 6-6.5mbps with well-seeded torrents. I'm happy with the situation, much better than the 999/4mbps/8GB plan :)

Last edited:
So I managed to snap up this plan too, requested a change to it from the self care website last month. Got switched over on Sept 30th, got a notification via SMS. As a bonus, I got unmonitored usage at 4mbps from the time of switch on 30th morning till the next IP refresh on 1st October. Scored around 30GB :D

However similar to many who posted here, they didn't change my speed to 8mbps for a while. Registered a complaint on the website but it got closed automatically after three days :p

Went over to the exchange, had a talk with the engg. He explained they were having issues at the exchange since Oct 2, mostly due to the switch to 2mbps/1GB. That had caused a lot of complaints to come in, and all of them (including my unrelated complain) were closed automatically after the issues were dealt with. He set me up at 10000/768 kbps (down/up) initially, which gave me an SNR margin of 10-11/6-7 dB. Caused my connection to lose sync every few hours. Got him to set it at ~8100/500 kbps, it's now at 14-16/6-7 dB.

Actual speeds I am getting are a fair bit lower than 8mbps though, and I was told to expect that by the engg. Burst speeds are reaching 8mbps, and I can get steady speeds of around 6-6.5mbps with well-seeded torrents. I'm happy with the situation, much better than the 999/4mbps/8GB plan :)

Can you post image of your line stats?

Can you post image of your line stats?
Too lazy to take a snapshot and upload it somewhere, so here it is in text:

Code:
     Internet Connection
     DSL Status                         Connected
     Downstream Data Rate               8026 Kbps
     Upstream Data Rate                 794 Kbps
     Downstream Attainable Data Rate    14375 Kbps 
     Upstream Attainable Data Rate      12179 Kbps
     SNR (Downstream)                   15.35 dB
     SNR (Upstream)                     6.5 dB
     Line Attentuation(Downstream)      24.5 dB
     Line Attentuation(Upstream)        8.0 dB
     Gateway                            automatically set
     Primary DNS                        8.8.8.8
     Secondary DNS                      8.8.4.4

Seems the Upstream rate has creeped up again, causing the Upstream SNR Margin to drop to 6.5. I'm about 800m (road length) from the Exchange, so the Attenuation is quite low.

Last edited:
Downstream : Upstream
SNR Margin (0.1dB): 118 80
Attenuation (0.1dB): 185 190
Output Power (dBm): 12.5 10.0

This is mine, and i don't know whether it is okay. @TJKV Do you get good ping results?

I have one doubt, what's the difference between SNR and SNR Margin? And in that case, how to check SNR of my ADSL connection without logging into Router?

Downstream : Upstream
SNR Margin (0.1dB): 118 80
Attenuation (0.1dB): 185 190
Output Power (dBm): 12.5 10.0

This is mine, and i don't know whether it is okay. @TJKV Do you get good ping results?

Modem DSL Statistics? What do the SNR and ATTN numbers show me about my line? Windstream DSL FAQ | DSLReports, ISP Information
What is considered good DSL Noise margin / SNR ?
Understanding SNR and Attenuation Rates

That should tell you what is what. Tell me an IP to ping and I'll let you know what I get.

oh i don't know how to give an ip, could you give one i will test. (pls tell me how to do it :D )

oh i don't know how to give an ip, could you give one i will test. (pls tell me how to do it :D )
Head to command prompt and enter:

ping 163.53.78.58

and press enter. I get about 80ms. That's flipkart's IP by the way :)

Similarly 173.236.194.106 is broadbandforum.co, which I take 335ms to ping.

That is not great at all, but I don't game so doesn't bother me.

Ping statistics for 163.53.78.58:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 272ms, Maximum = 273ms, Average = 272ms

Ping statistics for 173.236.194.106:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 325ms, Maximum = 326ms, Average = 325ms

Is there any other way to find SNR other than seeing in Router Status? Because today afternoon I connected my neighbour's router to my connection and checked SNR, but it came out as 20dB downstream and 28dB upstream. But when I plug in my Asus Modem its coming as 14dB, why is that so?

Guys my SNR margin looks good but Attenuation is bad, the exchange is located 3kms from my home. How to get it fixed? I need stable download speed.
SNR Margin (0.1dB): 236 138
Attenuation (0.1dB): 130 85
Output Power (dBm): 12.0 10.0
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 21032 1201
Rate (Kbps): 8191 861

Till yesterday night i was able to browse and download with high speed but today browsing is working damn slow and but downloading a youtube video is FAST it is getting downloaded at 8MB/sec any idea why this weird behavior???? :think:

Back