Nokia Lumia 920

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 235
  • Views Views 21,693
if Nokia was milking money from their phones, they would have been posting record profits. but if you look at the bigger picture, they are largely surviving on the basis of financial assistance from microsoft.

That was pretty straightforward!

there is another problem with nokia. which might not be permanent though. the number of devices they have launched in the last two years is just not good enough. let's assume that they do well in india and get a significant market share. what then? there are like 4-5 models that comes out every single year? and you have to wait for a full new year for a new flagship phone? what about the slow development from microsoft? from what i understand windows phone 8 does not support 1080p displays. so while your friends would be using 5" models with 1080p displays, you would be stuck waiting for microsoft to add support for these new resolutions.

i am not dissing nokia here. i love their hardware. but the problem is that microsoft is just too slow at innovating and this is going to hurt nokia. other makers? htc and samsung have android for their latest and greatest. for them wp8 is a small part of the pie which they are dabbling into. but even they know that to compete against ios they need to support android right now.

I have started feeling that Nokia is aware of Microsoft's seriousness about WP (I doubt it myself since recent happenings and will hold purchase of 920 just because of that). Microsoft has messed it with Skype integration in WP. iOS and Android has better Skype support. W8 and WP8 experience isn't seamless as many expected. Pace of overall platform development is very slow and is still catching and this unfortunate trend is likely to continue (eg. 1080p like you said). On number of occasions, I have felt that Nokia is more concerned about WP than Microsoft itself (Nokia is really trying hard to attract developers as well and I see no serious efforts from MS). They messed up in past too by delaying Tango and it did cost Nokia a lot. Non compatibility of 7.x devices with WP8 was a worst thing for Nokia being solely dependent on platform. Nokia deserved better and I am sure they are aware of this otherwise Nokia CEO won't talk about potential of HTML5 and won't say anything is possible in future when asked about OS other than WP on future Nokias. I believe that when their exclusivity and deal with MS comes to end, they will try something new. By that time, they can have more cash reserve and better overall condition. Current financial situations could also be a reason for Nokia focusing on less number of devices at a time. They have shrink in almost every department. Today's Nokia is very tiny compared to Nokia in pre Apple era.

i read yesterday somewhere that skype is still not available on windows phone 8. that cannot be right?Also from what i have read the deal between the two is definitely not exclusive at least publicly speaking.

Its available (as external app :shame:) but was pulled out from store due to some bugs etc. Situation is far worse than one would expect considering MS owns Skype.

righto. also annoying is that they charge on skype for group video conferencing which is at least free on google+ hangouts. not sure about other solutions. Apple facetime i believe is still one to one?and of course. considering they are shutting down live messenger and pushing users to migrate to skype in march this year!

Also from what i have read the deal between the two is definitely not exclusive at least publicly speaking.

Not exclusive as a whole but some things are exclusive between parties involved. For eg. Nokia has access to WP source code at deeper level. Nokia used it extensively in WP7.x in terms of app development (no visual customization though). eg. Nokia counters, Bluetooth sharing, ringtone maker etc. apps access WP APIs no other can.
Also, whole the thing, MS paying Nokia huge amount for using their software and marketing it is because MS want Nokia to solely dependent on it and it is a sort of exclusive agreement (obviously it would be for limited time) .

Facetime is one to one. Haven't tried g+ hangouts. Rarely use g+. Very few people in my circle are actively using it.

Skype app is so buggy on windows 8 itself.. So no wonder it won't work on wp8 devices too ..Right now also my msn contacts r not loading in skype while using the skype desktop version on windows 8 ..

Portico update is preinstalled on Lumia WP8s shipping to India. This should bring relief to early takers.

Skype app is so buggy on windows 8 itself.. So no wonder it won't work on wp8 devices too ..
Right now also my msn contacts r not loading in skype while using the skype desktop version on windows 8 ..

WP8 store Skype page still says **THIS IS A PREVIEW RELEASE, EXPERIENCES ARE NOT YET FINAL**
It's not that it won't work, its taking unexpectedly longer time for microsoft to deliver solid Skype experience on own products.

Back