Pollution Problem in Delhi NCR

Why does Delhi and other metro cities get special treatment wrt pollution norms? Why is it ok to dump your old vehicles outside Delhi because they are legal for another couple of years in smaller towns? Why does entry into Delhi requires a Rs. 2000 Green Tax along with a MCD tax? Are people living in Delhi special? What if every state in India starts regulating traffic coming from other states? Charging a green tax from them? If Odd Even becomes a monthly feature in Delhi, I really really hope Haryana takes necessary actions on controlling traffic coming from Delhi in to Haryana. Or at least a form of tax that is collected from vehicles going to Delhi passing through Haryana territory. More from commercial vehicles to fund their own green initiatives.

Last edited:
Then atleast AAP should stop calling Odd even experiment a success. There is no reliable data to support that pollution during Odd even days goes down. AAP is happy enough with the fact that Traffic goes down so pollution must be going down as well. And frankly having lived in Delhi for all my life, this is not the way you control traffic in Delhi. Just forcing people to keep their vehicles away is not a solution. Its a very bad solution. People are already looking into buying a new car to get around this issue.

saw a few posts on the gurgaon facebook groups where people are looking for second hand cng cars. i guess people are realizing that having a backup cng car is now a necessity look at where delhi and gurgaon are heading.

If I owned it, it would have been renamed already :D I should have retained the Gurgaon Group I created on the launch date of Facebook Groups. It could have been the most popular FB Group about Gurgaon today considering Facebook was not even popular back then. Too bad I got tired of the spam and removed myself as an administrator.

No body dumps old vehicles in other states it is that other states have allowed vehicles with age higher than the allowed age in Delhi.

I was not aware of other states charging tax on entry and so I did a google search,please note there may be more states these are just top 3 results of my google search.

Telangana: Collection of new Motor Vehicle Entry tax for other State vehicles begins
Goa: Do I have to pay the inter-state vehicle tax
Kerela: Kerala ups entry tax on tourist vehicles

Every state already charges tax from commercial vehicles registered in other states. So if I hire a taxi registered in Delhi and enter UP the taxi driver must have a permit to enter UP which he can get by paying an yearly tax. Generally that fee is directly proportionate to the size of the state so the fee charged UP is huge when compared to fee charged by Delhi (again my knowledge is generally limited to northern India.)

I think you already know about this and talking about an additional entry tax as Delhi charges but you know it only for the commercial vehicles therefore read on.

As I mentioned that the permit cost is generally proportionate to the size of the state and you already know that Haryana is bigger than Delhi so the permit cost is more in Haryana and therefore drive plying very frequently to Haryana prefer to get their vehicles registered in Haryana to save the recurring cost and till few years ago the cost of registering a new vehicle in Haryana was among the lowest in the country. As per my understanding (although I do not have any statistics for it) as more vehicles plying between Delhi and Haryana have HR numbers Haryana would end up taxing them more which, atleast for records, are its own citizens.
(My permit cost theory is based on the discussion I have had with several drivers during my office commute for approximately 5 years)

Last edited:
Doesn't calling it a success motivate people to participate in some thing good?

I agree there are people who will look for workaround but even if it reduces some traffic/pollution I guess everyone if a beneficiary.

Believe me, I know people who have started car pooling in my office during Odd-Even and continued. They always though car pooling will not work due to various work related issues.

Again, Pollution is killing us and it is killing us very fast every step to counter that should be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just waiting for AAP government to start regulating usage of diesel gensets. If they are so serious about the pollution problem. Let's see how they come up with an alternative source of power for complete housing societies and commercial establishments. At least they have kept their promise of getting vacuum cleaners to suck dust from the roads of Delhi. Did read about the procurement of the machinery last month. Hopefully these are now being used around Delhi.

A lot of people can move to alternative mode of transport. And they do when there is a decent alternative. Metro proved this. But the policy with a blanket ban and a heavy penalty is where the problem is. Odd Even was great during emergency situations where pollution levels goes beyond the dangerous levels as it happens during the New Year. Making it a monthly feature when you do not have a robust public transport is a sham. Plus, I still do not know what I am supposed to do if I have to travel to Karnal or Chandigarh for an overnight stay. I just need to pass through Delhi because there is no alternative. I have nothing to do with Delhi. And taking a bus/train is not really convenient in such scenarios. Of course, they also have not provided any solution for cases when dads drop their kids to school. Going to school is fine because the kid is in the car but coming back is not because the kid is no longer in the car. But it's great if you replace dad with mom right? There are tons of these smaller issues which have no solution. Having a blanket ban is bad. Encourage people to do carpooling. Forcing them to travel on buses or autos is where the problem occurs. This time around they do not even have the same number of buses like last time around because schools are open. And I have no idea where all the money being collected in the name of Green Tax is going. And I know from a personal source that the operators of toll taxes at the border responsible for Green Tax are massively underreporting the collection. I was told that just around Rs. 1.5 crores is being deposited with the government on a daily basis on a total average collection of around Rs. 4 crores. Delhi Government has no system in place to keep a check on the tax collection. Even if you consider a daily collection of Rs. 1.5 crores... Delhi should have been able to add 2-3 luxury buses or 6 regular buses on a daily basis.

So in this heat people asked to use public transport and wait un the sun for that.Has AAP regulated autos yet?

Goodluck to the NCR niwasis for the start of the 15 day circus again.

Back