Pollution Problem in Delhi NCR

Kejriwal did a lot of pr around car free days. Both days he was seen riding a bike without a helmet in the middle of the road. It's a pr exercise. Create viable alternative transport mode and people would switch. A lot of people in Gurgaon take cycles to Gurgaon by will. More will if it is safer. You have to provide infra not rules.

He wants to close the power plants in Delhi. Great. Should have been done years ago. But who would provide employment to people who would lose their job? How would he compensate for the loss of capacity? He can't even close these plants as they are managed by central government. But sure... Just shut them in the name of experiment for fifteen days from January 1! I fully support it. He can't of course because a twitter campaign cannot supply power to Delhi homes.

1 to 4 are not that easy in area like Delhi especially when roads are very small or not planned well.

Complete overhaul is required which may take years. But pollution under control is higher priority currently.

3 - More metro is easier way but it needs more trains. I dont know about Delhi but here Mumbai metro has made a big mistake. High ticket cost + less number of coaches per train. Labour or lower middle class can not use Metro as its way too expensive for them compared to normal local trains.

6 - Point 6 says that space is at premium so it counters point no. 1 of having carpool lanes.

7 - this probably is center's job.

8 - expecting civic sense is joke in India. Everyone has common sense but nobody bothers when it comes to have patience in rush hour. Everyone wants to break rule to reach faster.

Even when Govt is saying "just try for 10-15 days" - people are already thinking of having 2 cars and other ways to bypass rule. Noone has patience even to try it for 10-15days.

9 - Delhi already declared that they will bring Euro-6 much before center will make it compulsory. But when they are asking for ban on vehicles older than 15 yrs - there are people who object to that too. (there were objections here in forum too)

10 - Again if government makes car ownership difficult - people will complain for that too. They will be like its our right we have 3 cars - 4 cars who is Government to stop us.

Thing is above 10 points have their upside and downside. People will have objections with them too.

9 - Delhi already declared that they will bring Euro-6 much before center will make it compulsory. But when they are asking for ban on vehicles older than 15 yrs - there are people who object to that too. (there were objections here in forum too)
You need better quality fuel for Euro 6. You cannot just implement it without oil companies supplying the high quality fuel. Petroleum minister has already highlighted this in media.

Just like Delhi has made it mandatory (to the best of my knowledge) to have parking reserved for parking in new constructions... They need to make it mandatory for new car buyers to prove that they have the parking space for the new car. Gurgaon is not even learning from the mistakes of Delhi. It is still not mandatory for groundfloor to be reserved for parking. It is already too late as pretty much the entire urban Gurgaon is already pretty much constructed and most of the new constructions is societies with buildings which do have similar measures in place. You keep on ignoring the basic aspect here. Delhi Government has not shown anything that highlights that public transport today is a better alternative or even a sensible one or even a logistically possible one for the people of Delhi to switch to for this experiment. They keep on flashing their Metro Cards on social media as if the metro card gives you a one foot square space to stand on reasonably comfortably on the metro.

Have they announced anything to make the last mile connectivity safer and hassle free for the common man? I only hear patronization on how we have to take drastic steps because things have gotten out of hand and blah blah. They need to take on more responsibility before they just throw the people of Delhi under the bus.

would also like to highlight the part in a previous post of mind. delhi government is not even keeping an eye on the green tax being collected at the borders as the operators of the toll taxes are easily able to under report collections and keep the funds to themselves. plus there have been no indication what that money is being used for assuming it goes to the delhi government and not bjp controlled MCD which would make little sense.

collaborate with private companies providing last mile connectivity. instead of treating them as competitors for government operated buses and autos, make them partners. provide them access to government funds and machinery and ask them to provide quality service to the people of delhi. a lot of people here in gurgaon are using ola operated shuttl buses because it is convenient. people are using bike taxies on metro stations. because these modes of transport are convenient and affordable and they work. not because they are being forced to use them.

Just realized another complicated situation. What would one do if they have to travel outside Delhi? Take a train? Or schedule their travel to and back to match their number plate?

Load off my shoulders..thought my 10 year old diesel innova was till now..haha
Planning to use different number plates on my bike(cycle)..just for kicks haha

Back