Pollution Problem in Delhi NCR

more lolz...

they are considering exempting women.
outstation vehicles are likely to be included.

So now we have dedicated section for particularly ONLY DELHI city.

For other cities too situation is much similar and Government hardly bothers to do anything.

But here someone is taking some action (trying something new) but still people dislike it and come up with 10s of ideas (claiming it to be much better option)

Amazing India!

In case you do not understand the concept of personal transport in Delhi... Consider the hypothetical situation where Mumbai administration decides to shut down half the trains of the local network in Mumbai in the name of some social justice.

Also. Exempting women, two wheelers is just a slap on the face of the people who are actually included in the ban. Electric cars are also exempt as if people are charging them using solar panels in Delhi. There are also talks about exempting CNG vehicles though implementing it would be rather complicated because CNG cylinders are not exactly visible when a car is driving. A writer on Indian Express went on to suggest developing a device that would calculate the pollution caused since the start of the month and display a light near the exhaust. Green if it is under some predecided limit. Red if it is over. Cars with red light could be challaned for crossing the quota. A pollution quota per car? Brilliant. /s

This is way beyond the concept of experimental government that AAP has been trying to deliver since they formed the government in Delhi. New exemptions are being added on a daily basis apparently. Which is just showcasing that they are turning this ban into another joke.

Also. My problem is not with the ban they are forcing on the people of Delhi (and also me as an outsider whose vehicle is also included in the ban as per the tweets I have read today)... the problem is with the lack of initiatives from the Delhi Government. They continue to patronize without highlighting what they are going to do on their side. All their plans are just going to create new nuisance for the people of Delhi. There have been no talks about how they are going to fix this problem long term. What sacrifices they are making as the law makers. I have not heard anything on the bypasses for vehicles who have nothing to do with Delhi but still have to go through. They are just throwing ideas out there most of which are not even implementable (Euro 6 or Bharat VI or whatever/Shutting down power plants). Commercial transports are the worst hit. They pay MCD Tax, Green Tax and now they would have even fewer hours to pass through Delhi because there is no reasonable way to go around Delhi.

What exactly have they announced since they came to power? BRT was shut down IIRC. Some flyovers have been completed in record time and low costs. But what have they initiated? Any plans to improve public transport? Any plans to promote cycling? Any plans to promote solar vehicles? Any plans to promote electric vehicles? Until and unless they show a serious commitment on their side for this initiative, people are going to criticize this move because it looks more of a punishment rather than a collaborative effort between the government and the people who voted for them. Central government implements new taxes... Delhi government impose new restrictions. It's the common man on the road who suffers.

Here is an op-ed from a lady writer who supports the ban but has some reservations.

Betting on odds and evens

To be sure, there are problems with the proposed restrictions on private vehicle use in Delhi. In recent days, families with differently abled members have spoken out about the impossibility of using public transport that is neither seamless nor accessible and their fears about having to explain their situation at every traffic stop. A recent personal health-related experience with restricted mobility has given me much greater awareness of my privilege in being able to use a car when I cannot take the metro and fears for my own mobility from January on. Dozens of working women I know pride themselves on being able to work as late as the men in their office, secure in the knowledge that they can drive themselves home. Many parents with children in schools not served by buses are unwilling to use unreliable autos every day, particularly in winter. Last-mile connectivity remains patchy. Many such people, including me, are aware of the place of privilege we come from and are willing to work with the state so that our comforts do not come at the cost of everyone’s health, but the road map to that collaboration — which takes the form of permits and passes in the cities that have implemented such restrictions — is not yet visible. A vital link to both enforcing the system and tackling exceptions would have been the traffic police; however the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) continues to be relentlessly confrontational with the police, who have already expressed misgivings about their level of preparedness.

Where the AAP government will stumble is on improving public transport fast enough to accommodate the 45 lakh new commuters who will need to use the metro, buses, autorickshaws and taxis from January 1. The world-class metro is currently used by about 20 lakh people every day, while the Delhi Transport Corporation’s overstretched bus service serves 45 lakh passengers. Neither is equipped to take on several lakh new passengers within 15 days. Innovative reforms have either stalled or been killed, on one memorable occasion by the AAP government itself; in 2008, the then Congress government introduced a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system with a short dedicated high-speed corridor at a tenth of the cost of the metro. The 5.8-km BRT was not extended and it was poorly policed; in addition it created traffic snarls (as predicted in any road rationing scheme), angering car users and the city’s powerful car-using media. However, it did substantially improve its users’ experience, as I can testify to, having enjoyed a quick and comfortable commute for the two years I lived on its route. Soon after coming back to power, the AAP government scrapped it despite ample global evidence on how to improve it.

Latest is that the rule would be applied from 8am to 8pm. Final details would be released by December 25. I still am quite annoyed by the enforcement on outstation vehicle especially in cases where they do not even have anything to do with Delhi but have to go through Delhi because there is no other alternative.

1) PWD, Health and Home Minister Mr Satyendar Jain will be the nodal minister to coordinate the anti-pollution project.
2) Air samples will be collected from 200 locations across the national capital on a regular basis and will be analysed to determine air quality. Display boards will be set-up at all these locations to let the public know about the air quality. Delhi Pollution Control Committee will be doing this task.
3) In the first phase, the vehicles with odd-even registration numbers will ply on Delhi roads between January 1-15. It impact on air pollution and lives of people will be assessed after that, following which the next decision will be taken.
4) Odd-even vehicles will ply on roads according to dates. For example – vehicles ending with odd numbers will ply on 1st,3rd, 5th, 7th and so on. Similarly vehicles with even numbers will ply on 2nd, 4th, 6th 8th and so on.
5) Sundays will be free days – all vehicles can ply on Sundays without any restriction.
6) The timing for odd-even vehicles will be from 8 AM to 8 PM – before and after these hours, residents can use their vehicles without any restriction.
7) Department of Transport to put 1,000 cluster buses on roads within three months.
8) Civil defence volunteers to be engaged in large numbers to help the Traffic Police in implementation of the anti-pollution project.
9) Thermal power plants in Delhi sent notices to shut down operations within seven days.

latest reports indicate that single women car drivers might also get exemption. >:)

they should do the opposite. ban all male drivers. would not need so many exemptions.

Back