Reliance Big TV DTH Service Launch

• Thread starter Thread starter pondpaka
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 424
  • Views Views 236,337
well its better to wait,bcause u will be so annoyed about changing channels which sometimes takes at snails place.

@adder Thanks... i will wait. :thumbsup:

I have a doubt and would like to ask a question here: Assume in monsoon we have a heavy rain and lightening in the sky. I am watching a TV through any DHT dish... will it affect my TV in any way? (I heard lightening affect TV sets through satellite waves or even sometimes on local cable - even sometimes these broadband providers also ask us to switch off their router or take out LAN RJ45 cable off from PC's/Laptop's LAN card to avoid any damage either to a PC or to a router) - and now using DTH is dealing direct with satellite waves! May be existing DTH users can answer this very efficiently. I am having a Sony 25' CRT TV at the moment (4 years older) but i love it :) its amazing and i dont want it to be get damaged in rainy season just because of 2500/- or something dish! While watching a TV through any dish, will heavy lightening in monsoon affect a TV?

Thanks... that links help and can see the solutions... we can disconnect STB from dish cable and nothing can happen (nor even harm a tv) - BIG Thanks :) BUT - my question is slightly different. let me explain again..."I am watching a TV during a heavy lightening/thunderbolt" - now will it affect my TV? (i dont care about STB - i can buy another by paying between 1k to 3k but i of course bother about my sweetheart Sony as i bought it by paying 29k 4yrs ago) So, i am concern about a TV more than STB...will it affect a TV in any case if i keep it ON during a VERY heavy lightening (connected to any DTH)?

Do not handle any electrical equipment or telephones because lightning could follow the wire. Television sets are particularly dangerous at this time.

Code:
http://www.a2gov.org/government/safetyservices/emergencymanagement/planning/Pages/Thunder.aspx
I found this while googling...

Thanks dude... this means --- we MUST turn off a TV while having a heavy lightening/thunderbolt in monsoon!!! OK...

Thanks dude... this means --- we MUST turn off a TV while having a heavy lightening/thunderbolt in monsoon!!!

OK...
See my solution for the lightning problem from the above mentioned thread on DTH & lightning:
One can make the dish safe from lightning strike by earthing the dish. Just run a GI wire from any earth point to any point on the metal of the dish. That should make it adequately safe !:)

As regards the STB read this:

You can get the surge protector vbhoj74 is talking about from your local electronics shop!

Also have a look at this (This definitely works -See Page 2 of installation manual under documentation tab):
APC Surge Module for Coax Cable/CableTV, Replaceable, 1U, use with PRM4 or PRM24 Rackmount Chassis
I quote from the manual -
\"Model PVR (Digital Cable Protection)
The PVR module protects the cable input to video/cable/modem equipment against surges and
spikes caused by lightning and electrostatic discharge (ESD). It is compatible with cable television
(CATV), digital satellite system (DSS), television, video cassette recorder (VCR), cable modem and
TV antenna equipment. It is also compatible with many DSS units having operating voltages below
26 volts DC. The PVR is recognized by Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL® ) as a secondary protector\"So you can install one and be peaceful!:whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
wwooo BIG TV also providing the Subtitle option

[1] where did you read that / how did you come to know? any proof?
[2] is it only for PPV or also for channels?
[3] why "wwooo" for that? its not that good that i thought its gonna launch tomorrow!!!! :wall:

Back