Reliance Jio Fiber STB picture quality issue.

@abhishjha let me clarify few points here.
voot is app and should not be referred to as free to air because they don’t air anything. Do you mean it’s free to use or free download?
Next
You are paying for bundled subsidised subscription for voot in jio stb. Hence restricting it to be used only with jio fiber is good point to prevent misuse.
next
With Hotstar is genetic app for tv which contains ability to watch live channels if you have subscription. Since it’s bundled with jio you can watch it in jio stb. I’m on iPhone app using jio sim I can watch live tv as well. In short yes.

So jio is allowing users to watch most of the important live tv channels via tie up with respective broadcasters and then integrating those channels within their jio tv+ app..this is a good moove.but if u can recall we saw few youtube videos where we could see all live tv channels being played within jio tv app inside set top box.the u.i was same like Tata Sky u i..if jio has all the channels with them.then why they skipped their iptv plan and partnered with lcos is really strange!!

@cyberwiz yes it does . they can stream to any platform they want. They own the content they own the platform, they can stream in ott (voot) or iptv (jio stb ) it’s their choice. Only for other channels they have to sign agreement with each distribution company in each platform to stream / broadcast their respective channels by paying subscription fee on behalf of customer (Hotstar vip) or leave it to the customer to pay for it (typical ott).

You are forgetting that broadcast of TV channels does not only require ownership of content and agreements with those whose content you dont own but also licenses from the Government. There is also a regulatory framework from the Government of India that has to be complied with. No content provider can deliver TV channels unless it has appropriate licenses from the Governemnt. Take for example Jio, just becase JIO owns the content of TV18 would not allow JIO to broadcast it on a DTH service unless it has a license to launch a DTH service in the first place. Hence, the statement that ownership of content does not automatically mean that you can use whatever means you want to reach the public. The medium by which you reach the public is regulated by a licensing regime.

Having said that, OTT's currently, strictly speaking fall into a legal grey area, wherein statutes like IT act and IPC are applicable, however how far OTT's should be allowed to broadcast live channels in the absence of a licensing regime is currently under consideration by the Government of India.

However, the issue here was why is there buffering in live channels that clearly are being streamed from JIO's servers as they are not available on 3rd party OTT's.

@abhishjha let me clarify few points here.
voot is app and should not be referred to as free to air because they don’t air anything. Do you mean it’s free to use or free download?
Next
You are paying for bundled subsidised subscription for voot in jio stb. Hence restricting it to be used only with jio fiber is good point to prevent misuse.
next
With Hotstar is genetic app for tv which contains ability to watch live channels if you have subscription. Since it’s bundled with jio you can watch it in jio stb. I’m on iPhone app using jio sim I can watch live tv as well. In short yes.
Does the LIVE TV in voot work with Jio STB even if we stop recharging 699 or higher plan and switch to the 199 plan?

Nope, your subscription will expire. Just see in MyJio App, it's all there. Subscriptions + their expiry dates.

You are forgetting that broadcast of TV channels does not only require ownership of content and agreements with those whose content you dont own but also licenses from the Government. There is also a regulatory framework from the Government of India that has to be complied with. No content provider can deliver TV channels unless it has appropriate licenses from the Governemnt. Take for example Jio, just becase JIO owns the content of TV18 would not allow JIO to broadcast it on a DTH service unless it has a license to launch a DTH service in the first place. Hence, the statement that ownership of content does not automatically mean that you can use whatever means you want to reach the public. The medium by which you reach the public is regulated by a licensing regime.

Having said that, OTT's currently, strictly speaking fall into a legal grey area, wherein statutes like IT act and IPC are applicable, however how far OTT's should be allowed to broadcast live channels in the absence of a licensing regime is currently under consideration by the Government of India.

However, the issue here was why is there buffering in live channels that clearly are being streamed from JIO's servers as they are not available on 3rd party OTT's.
dude it is by default understood that broadcasting via satellite / cable / Internet does require licensing under MIB and regulated by TRAI.... however there are no 3rd party involved... only one single party reliance under its subsidiary. i guess the reason its not available on Voot app outside jio stb is that they yet to launch it officially and testing it with Jio stb which might also indicate the constant buffering.... they are still figuring out how to set it up and run it. Hope for the best

Does the LIVE TV in voot work with Jio STB even if we stop recharging 699 or higher plan and switch to the 199 plan?

yes... all your OTT bundles are only available for plans silver and above. many of our guys have mentioned it.

dude it is by default understood that broadcasting via satellite / cable / Internet does require licensing under MIB and regulated by TRAI.... however there are no 3rd party involved..

You have missed the point. You said if Jio owns the content then it can broadcast it whichever way it wants. That's incorrect as for broadcasting you need a separate license even if you own the content.

So even with owning the content and no third party involved a separate license would be required to stream/broadcast.

However as i mentioned before OTT players are enjoying the fact that online platforms are not fully covered by current regulations. The government is in process of framing regulations that would apply to them.

okay, ill be crystal clear when i talk about anything from now on. (y) thanks. any government regulated will turn to dust. the only neutral unbiased is internet(atleast till net neutrality ). enjoy it till it lasts... else we will be forced to go down to deep web.

@Nitin - Hey Nitin. I received new STB for my other jio connection and its model is MCM3000. I assume you have the same. Is it still running on older Android 7 and have you found a way to install third party apps ?

Back