Reliance Jio Prime Membership (Free extension for one year)

Are you subscribing to JIO Prime Offer?

• Yes

Votes: 53 66.3%
  • No

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • Can't Say

Votes: 11 13.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is Prime like a pre paid offer ? What if I do not pay ₹ 303 for a month ?

have they clarified it yet? i mean it is clear that 99 has to be paid in the month of march. but is it mandatory to pay 303 every month continuously?

News on media were not very clear. Earlier, it sounded like you can recharge for ₹ 10 per day. Later, it was clear that it was just a break down figure.

that's what reliance does. play with words. it is not even clear if 303 is postpaid or prepaid. inclusive or exclusive of taxes.

Their is definitely reason to rejoice (when you consider the exorbitant prices Airtel and Vodafone were charging for 1 GB of data not too long ago) and to be skeptical (Fear of monopolization of market by Jio and quality of service/customer care).

We have got 3 JIO SIMs in our family. Where I live in Gurgaon, voice calls from Jio are a non-option as calls are connected less than 50% of the time. As for data connectivity, I usually get D/L speeds of anywhere b/w 50-200 Kbps in the day while browsing and loading of websites is exceptionally slow. (Forget video calling, whatsapp, Fb use etc). At night post 12 am, the speeds improve massively and from 2-5 am, they go up to as much as 4 Mbps. On the weekends, I download lots of movies and Tv shows using torrents and combined speeds of 1.5-3 Mbps are common. (Have easily downloaded anywhere b/w 5-30 GB every night depending on mood and need)

We have Airtel and Vodafone as our primary SPs and their quality of service and reliability is definitely on another level compared to other operators. We recently went to Bihar and Jharkhand for 2 weeks and I was surprised to find good connectivity (Both calls and internet) on both their networks, almost everywhere we went. (Including when we were traveling through some remote areas b/w towns). For Jio on the other hand, their were many areas we didn't have any network at all. (This isn't me having a go at Jio, just providing an honest opinion of my experience)

The network connectivity and data speeds on Jio are a bit better in my office In Delhi, but I would still call them low 3G levels than 4G to be perfectly honest.

Then comes the customer care part. My experiences with Jio have been really bad. (Initially couldn't get a SIM for about 3 months because of the dreaded "Barcode redeemed" problem and neither the Reliance Digital employees nor their CC were of any help whatsoever. It was extremely annoying to see how privileged and arrogant these guys came across (Just like BSNL babus), when local shop owners were openly saying they were getting these barcodes for money from the Reliance Jio employees itself. I finally managed to get a reply from them after about 2 months where they asked me to go to their service center in Gurgaon, where I was surprisingly given 3 JIO SIMs in about 20 min without any hassle. (The person who I got in touch with was extremely talkative and told me how they had gotten a good lashing from the top management towards the beginning of December and were instructed to hand out SIMs to as many customers as possible and to be more polite to the customers.) I haven't needed to call them since I got the SIMs, except to ask when they were launching JIO GigaFiber (Which surprisingly or perhaps not they didn't have any idea about). We only have a 4 MBps BSNL Broadband connection available in our area, so I was overjoyed when our local cable operator said he had signed a contract with Jio a couple of months earlier for DTH and broadband services.

However I also have to point out that I have been extremely disappointed with the callous attitude of Airtel towards their customers over the last year or so as well. We have faced multiple issues with our Airtel connections (Pre and Post, normal and corporate), whether it be network coverage and speeds, recharge and refund related issues and just 2 days ago, when I found out they had stopped the carry over of night data 10 days ago but didn't bother to advertise it or communicate it to the customers and one of my recharges for additional night data didn't give me the required benefit. I was so annoyed that I put in a port out request and such is the "Don't give a DAMN" attitude of Airtel right now (Even with Jio) that they gave me a call 48 hours later asking why I had put in a port request but didn't even bother to listen to my issues. (Their was so much chatter in the BG, as if 100 people were talking simultaneously). Call got disconnected 90 sec in and no callback.
Vodafone is the best (As far as my experience is concerned) when it comes to swift and prompt resolution of customer problems.

I am going to opt for the Rs 99 one time Prime membership fee (Possibly on 2 SIMs), but will definitely need better call connectivity and data speeds to shell out Rs 303 every month. My father is getting Free calls + 4 GB data (I think) for Rs 299 on his Airtel prepaid and I have heard my neighbor is getting free calls + 14 Gb data for Rs 249, so JIO might not be too far ahead when it comes to plans and pricing compared to other operators. (On the one hand, it is heartening they have bullied the competition into lowering the data and call prices but IMHO I felt their first paid subscriptions should have been lower. What about people like our parents or others who don't use data? For them paying 150 or 300 a month is not viable at all, esp when they have lifetime validity SIMs). Also will they still continue to provide services at lower costs once they have monopolized the market?

Sorry for the long essay, but that is my account of my experiences with our SPs.

P.S ::: Few questions here wrt JIO:
1) Would we still have incoming calls if we don't recharge for a month or we would have to opt for any plan to even have incoming call facility on the phone.
2) Are we sure JIO will continue with the free 2-5 am NIGHT data facility going ahead?
3) Is JIO going to provide services for non-4G phones in the future?
4) How do you find which band your phone is connected to? (Any app out there) And which band (And/or frequency) gives you better speeds.

I would appreciate if one or more of the members would answer my queries.

Last edited:
which operator(s) has reduced prices officially? people keep on talking about how this or that person is getting this or that from this or that operator. all of these are retention plans. retention plans do not benefit the masses. not everyone is going to call airtel/vodafone threatening to disconnect to get a better plan. unless airtel and vodafone reduce plans officially and make them available to all customers, nothing changes for the masses.

I think all operators are there with their unlimited call plans.... tentatively Rs.350....

And a surprise RCom too.... unlimited call plan @Rs.149... BSNL also has similar plan...

Data I won't pay any attention..... no need to waste energy on unreliable 4G/ 3G when we get much more reliable wired broadband...

Well that is a good point Sushubh. Their is no way of knowing how many people are getting access to these lower rate plans from Vodafone or Airtel and if they will continue with these plans in the future or not. All I know is that a lot of people at my workplace are getting access to these newer plans of around 250-400 which provide unlimited calling and significantly higher data (compared to 6 months ago when JIO hadn't made its entry), without having asked for them. And common sense would dictate that IF (and that is a huge If) JIO provides good services at these comparatively lower costs, then the other operators would have to follow suit or lose market share.

Their is the fear of monopolization or cartels forming and how that would be bad for customers. I am just looking at the DTH market and how the prices there have increased significantly from 3-4 years ago. (Granted we have access to more channels and better technology now, but the increase in prices is greater than the services provided though).

As for your question about the masses, well in this country nobody cares about them. Whether it be government or private players. t is only those who ask questions and pester who end up getting the benefits, if any are available.

@ijsa At my place we only have 4 Mbps BSNL wired broadband, so I would be really happy if any other operators with higher speeds were to start services here. :px'D JIO with night speeds of 20-30 MBps and D/L speeds of 2-4 Mbps is like some next gen stuff for people like me.
Also 249 and 299 mobile plans with unlimited calling and 500 MB per day are pretty good from my perspective.

Last edited:

Back