Sharing MTNL Triband Broadband on multiple computers with wi-fi connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter scotyard
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 154
  • Views Views 47,932
I live in a two floor house and have D-Link 2640T wireless ADSL modem+router installed in my upper bedroom in a corner. But it always gives me good to excellent signals on my laptop when i sit in the hall below which is about 7-8m away from the router considering both height and length combined.

actually the D-Link website says dat indoor range of DI 524 is 100m.

D-Link Building Networks for People..

n i had enquired at lamington rd. also...he also said its 100m......

Maybe its best to ring up their toll free numbers and check.
(1-800-222-002, 91-22-2844 7600)
BTW you havent specified what range you would be operating in. Like I mentioned before whether a particular gadget will live up to its specs in a particular environment, it's difficult to say:). If not you will have to add a 'Access point'

my range is around 80 feet.......but wat i wud lik to know is dat will the connectivity get affected by walls or closed doors???

Yes it does get affected by walls since it will have lots of iron/electricity wires etc.Doors are usually wooden, so they should not be a problem.

Hello,I have a Linksys Wirless-G 2.4 GHz Broadband Router, brought from the US and want to attach/configure it with my existing MTNL's D-Link GLB 502T router, to have one PC and a Laptop work with the existing Triband connection. Can any one please tell me the exact procedure to attach and configure this Wireless Router? THANKS in advanceDee Joe

@DeeJoe.
Welcome to BroadbandForum.in.

Please mention the model No of your wireless router.
step 1 Connect/Test desktop /laptop to ethernet port with RJ45 from modem.
Step2 : Remove Rj45 from desktop and connect to WAN port of Wi-Fi router.
Step3 : run the installation wizard.
Step4 : connect another Rj45 from LAN1 to desktop. TEST
Step 5 Test laptop in wireless mode
If any problem report details. of 6 & 7.
step 6 : start/ run type cmd type ipconfig/all.
Step7 :Also check the diagnostics page of modem and router.

Reference :.DI-524
select you model from bottom of page ( left hand side menu)

Thanks EssBeBe for the prompt reply. I am having Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router, which was in use in US before bringing it here ( Do I have to reset it before connecting ? If so, Reset it with power ON or Off ?) and already commected MTNL's D - Link ADSL 502T modem/router, which is working nicely. I will follow your instructions in connecting the WRT54G and get back to you with the results Thanks once again Dee Joe

Thanks Essbebe, I have managed to configure the Linksys WRT54G Router successfully - but my version indicated is v1.00.6 ! Is there any need or use for upgrading the Firmware ? If so, what is the procedure ? Also, I want to know if there is any procedure to increase the directional ability of the Wireless coverage Thanks once againHAPPY NEW YEAR !:)Dee Joe

Welcome to BroadbandForum.in.:)
Check out
Socrates?s experience: Configuring the D-Link 502T router for MTNL Broadband Do it yourself

Socrates?s experience: How to configure Linksys WRT54G wireless router

And I think resetting your wireless router is a good idea, to be done when its switched on :). The current ver of firmware is 7.00.4. If you dont have any problems in it's working then leave well alone, on how to upgrade the firmware check the user guide which would be on the CD which comes along with the h/w, if not goto Linksys.com - Support/Technical Support/Choose a Product/Routers and Access Points/Wireless Routers/WRT54G/Downloads for more info about the user guide etc.

Happy New Year

Thank you Socrates,Your Gudes for setting up the Router came in very handy. After resetting and configuring, it is working fine with the older Firmware - so I am wondering whether to upgrade it OR leave it alone ! ( Can any one tell me the advantage of upgrading, when the older version is working OK ? )Can the directional quality and the range be improved in any way? One new question ! Can we transfer Files/Photos/Program between the Home Desktop ( which is connected with a LAN cable to the Router ) and the Wireless Laptop?Thanks HAPPY NEW YEAR ! :)Dee Joe

Back