Suggest a suitable wifi router

Configuration is not tough at all. You just have to enter 4-5 values. VCI is 32. Mode is PPPoA/PPPoE, username and password are your telephone number and CA number respectively. I have actually ordered the TP-Link model I mentioned above yesterday, it should arrive in a day or two. I'll let you know about configuring an MTNL connection by yourself and what range you get(should be similar for D-Link and Linksys). Be warned though, some people on flipkart that setting up that D Link router is slightly tough as the options/menus it has are confusing.I have no idea whether the 450TC1 would support a repeater but since its a g network based one, i think it makes more sense to upgrade. Plus, you have the modem rental too so you'll recover the cost eventually. Unfortunately, its not possible to give a concrete value for the range. it may depend on a lot of factors like the thickness of walls, shape and design of the house, interference from other wireless signals.

I checked with mtnl, they will not configure the modem router if it is not the one they give. In that case how will I configure the D-Link/Cisco router in case i buy it and it does not work?

It's not so much that they wont, its because they cant :Flush: :D Even they way they handle the security aspects of the wifi router they install at a customers house leaves a lot to be desired. :D
BTW You get AP's which are wireless so you only have to worry about the power cable. Also correct me if I am wrong but I think range extenders usually connect to your wifi signal & boost & hence extend the range.

Just received it. Setup took exactly 2 minutes, didn't even have to open the configuration page. It comes with a CD which you can directly insert and it opens a configuration wizard. You just need VCI - 32, VPI - 0 and your username/pass values. Then specify the name and password for the wifi network. that's it. It also supports WDS(says on the box) so if you buy two of these, you can setup one as a repeater and have double the range.It even came with two RJ11 cables and a splitter in the box.Will comment on range/performance in a few days.

Thanks Manu.
Did you buy the TP-Link TD-W8961ND?

- - - Updated - - -

I will wait for your comments on range/performance. As that is most imp for me

Hi,I have recently applied for BSNL broadband, their sales team informed that they are out of stock and i have to get my own broadband wireless modem (Happy that i can get my gadget not their boaring one), i need to install a router rather than a modem coz i got multiple device to connect with, so i went to the market and i found that there are two types of router available, one is Wireless Router without modem and the other one is wireless router with modem. This got me confused as to go for what. Can anyone please guide me which router i need if i don't have a BSNL modem.I can make this that i need an ADSL2+ router but again with or without modem is the question. Please help.

You have to go for a "with modem" router as they are not providing you the modem. Without modem router is when you have a modem with you already.

Back