Suggest a suitable wifi router

I have decided to purchase a router to use with my Beam connection. My first router. So you can conveniently assume I have ZERO knowledge about routers and which is my I need your help. I will be placing the router bang in one corner of the house. What I am looking for :1. A router which will give me full signal in whichever room I am in which means a distance of ~50 feet.2. What do I look for while buying a router ?3. Which are the popular companies ?4. Which is current most-selling model ?I'd be buying it in Hyderabad and would definitely prefer a warranty. Any help ?

I use Netgear WGR614v9 54Mbps B/G router.Speeds are good with my airtel broadband and range is excellent. You can get this for around Rs 800.The setup is easy and has lots of features but does not support dd wrt. Also streaming videos over network using DLNA or AirPlay etc... is slow. Transferring data between devices is slow too, getting 1MBps.If you are looking for cheap router with good speeds and excellent range this is good. If you can afford more then definitely go for N router.Ranjit has done review of it at tech2buzz.com

Budget is no trouble. All I need it for is fast Internet. Thats it. No streaming videos or anything of that sort.@salmankhan : Thanks for replying. Looking thru techbuzz now.Edit : Whats dd wrt ?

For an average user, any reputed router will do, you don't need high end hardware or custom firmware for decent performance but if you insist on wanting the best then any of these should be fine if money is not a concern. Choose which ever model that suits your needs and check for reviews.

That sounds like a pretty sweet deal for ₹.3000, considering the USB ports, inbuilt torrent client, etc. I'm not using it but I think you should go for it.

Avoid Asus. Rashi is horrible at providing support for their products. The failure rate for these is unusually high. My piece also refused to function as an access point.

I bought this TP-Link 1043 for 3k. Its range is slightly better and its UI is less clunky.

TL-WR1043ND - Welcome to TP-LINK

Or else try the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300 or 450 for better range.

Wireless G & N routers with push-button simple setup & long range coverage | Buffalo Technology

For financially flush people, Routers like Asus RT-56U Linksys E4200 and Belkin N750 provide the best performance (Wireless and routing) but they demand a hefty premium.

DO keep in mind you may not be able to cover your entire home with 1 incorrectly placed router. Central placement helps but you can get full coverage by adding an access point or wireless repeater at
a convenient location.

Back