• Thread starter Thread starter netfreak
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 4,777

netfreak

Regulars
ISP
Airtel GPRS EDGE + VSNL
PC that I have was upgraded last time in early 2004. It has AMD Athlon XP 2400, Cheap Motherboard , 512 MB RAM.

It works fine as of now. Problem is when I try creating DVD from JPGs and AVI files. It takes around 3 hours to create a DVD ISO from a bunch of JPGs and 1 hour of Video. So its time to upgrade this PC again [bought it for the first time in 95, still has original floppy drive ;)]

My main reason for upgrade is to improve DVD creation performance. In ideal case DVD creation should be done in 15 mins :P

This is the config I am thinking about:

Code:
RAM        :: 2 GB  DDR 2          :: 2700CPU        :: Athlon 64 X2 4800+   :: 5100MOBO       :: ASUS M2N-MX SE       :: 3000       CABINET    :: I-Ball Workhorse     :: 2100
Cost comes to 13k.

I am not in touch with current trends in hardware. So basically clueless about best "bang for buck" config.

What would be the best config in in this price range for such tasks? Main use of the PC is to develop things and run Linux / Solaris / Windows VMs. I do not play video games so grafix is not a priority.

Those who have similar config, how much time does it take for you guys to create a DVD with 1 hour video?

i have core2duo , a gig of ram and a liteon 20x dvd burner and it takes me approximately 10-15 mins to burn a full dvd at 16x but id suggest u get a core2duo instead of amd because they deliver better performance

15 mins a cool if you are talking about a DVD movie?Whats the source of data for DVD? If it some AVI file or movie from another DVD?

Okay, then we are probably talking about different things. I am talking about ISO creation time. You are talking about ISO burning time. Burning an ISO does not take more then 15 mins for me as well, its creation of ISO image (from RAW video footage + still pictures) that takes hours.

OO u are talking about making an ISO that too takes around the same time

i use this small 14 kb program to create ISO images and it does that pretty fast for me

Looked at this this program, it looks it just records ISO from DVDs and CDs. This is fine in current config as well.What I am talking about is creation of ISO from RAW video footage.

What software do u use for that ?ok just tried , magicISO took around 20 minutes or so to create a 5 GB im age file of 5 gb of videos

yea depending on the sofware you use, you might want to wait for the new 45nm Intel Penryn CPUs (dual or quad core) the base quadcore (2.5ghz,6mb cache) will likely be released at same price point of current 2.4ghz 65nm q6600, plus it has new SSE4 instructions which your updated software might take advantage of and will give performance boost.if you are into multimedia/video content creation i would recommend a quad core processor. if you cant wait then go for the config sneezymelon asked about in his thread :) intel quad core q6600 cpu...

Back