Windows 8/8.1 activation after PC upgrade

• Thread starter Thread starter Nishant
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 26
  • Views Views 5,397
You paid for it. You have the moral right!

I would do this before replacing the parts, then power it off before it boots for the first time, change the parts and then boot :smile:I just want it in a state without any drivers installed.Anyway, I'm going to try a lot of things in a particular order. Would post the outcome here :tongue:

Windows gets activated through HWID (Hardware Identifier). The HWID is generated by the operating system when it is installed for the first time. This identifier represents all the hardware devices attached to the host computer and is transferred to Microsoft. Every 7 days and after every reboot, a new HWID is generated which is compared with the one generated at the time of installation. If both the IDs are close to each other, then the operating system assumes that it is running on the same device. Otherwise, the operating system needs to be activated by Microsoft. when a user changes components like Mobo, processor, RAM, gpu etc, thus generating a considerably different HWID on the subsequent reboot. This can cause the operating system activation to be blocked, and the user must then contact Ms ccphone activation.

^^ what he said, win 8 upgarde keys don't work after any hardware change or even if you do a clean install or a format, found it the hard way after i had put in a new hdd and win 8 refused to activate anyway since it is frigging windows just follow these stepsPress the Windows key and type regedit. Press enter to open the Registry Editor. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/ and double-click on the MediabootInstall key in the right pane. Change the key's value from 1 to 0. Exit the Registry Editor, press the Windows key again, and type cmd. Right-click on the Command Prompt icon and run it as an administrator. Type slmgr /rearm and press Enter. Reboot Windows. activate windows. doneedit i have tried this on win 8 , no idea for 8.1 , cause i rolled back to win 7 , only need windows for gaming and win 7 rocks on that.

@Sushubh
After installing the new components, the system booted without any issues. Though it gave me the 'Windows is getting ready' type messages which shows up during the first install. After that it booted up fine, all data and programs/apps intact. The activation was lost. I was not comfortable with a system like this, so went ahead with formatting.
I used the Windows 8.1 ISO and used a temporary key which was provided with the ISO. While activating, I typed my key and it gave an error 'The unlock limit for this key has crossed'. Called the Indian Toll Free and typed the Installation ID, the call kept disconnecting after I typed the last set. So I called the Toll Free number of US via Skype, as you said. It asked for the installation ID, and after I typed it, it asked me a question 'How many PCs have I used the key' for which I replied '1'. It then gave me the confirmation ID, and voila! Got activated! :smile:
Thanks Sushubh for your tips! Really helped! :smile:
Thanks everyone for your heads up!
Installing software now!

Back