things to check when getting a new jio fiber connection

• Thread starter Thread starter f0r3he4d
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35
  • Views Views 4,731
ISP
BSNL Fiber-AS9829
Today jio execs came to my place for the kyc. Tomorrow they'll be coming for installation.
What are the noob mistakes i should be careful about before they install. I see a lot of optical power bridge mode thrown around a lot in the threads what are the others. my current setup included 3 APs spread across 3 floors with a pfsense box connected to a ONU and a 8 port gigabit switch.

Getting Jio Fibre itself is a noob mistake if you are using Pfsense. Since Jio doesn’t allow Bridge mode, you are limited in what you can do with your pfsense box.

Uh oh Jio was planing to install cables in my colony and were given permission . It has got delayed by 2 months due to some infra issue on the main road.

If bridge mode is not allowed I am not sure I am taking this connection even if it happens in the future.

Jio laid cables in my colony in Dec 2017, they started giving out connections in June 2022, not even the whole colony yet. They went past my colony and have setup and working nearly everywhere except my colony. 2 months of delay won't hurt if you already have Airtel.

On a side not I kinda did get DHCPv6 relay working on Jio ONT but I'm not quite sure how to configure it for OpenWRT.

@HC1337 dude I am not complaining trust me. I am very happy with Airtel and TPBB...tried and tested and personally I don't like the no-bridge mode and other restrictions Jio applies or is rumoured to apply including over enthusiastic site bans, VPN restrictions DPI among others..not sure how true they are but this forum has feedback to that effect.

About your OWRT router just use it as a plain AP. Bridge mode on Jio's ONT wou;d've been great if they could just bridge the thing. Set the AP to relay and you have your v6 address on the LAN. Make sure you switch off Jio's wifi radio.

Sorry if it seemed like that, I didn't mean it in that way. As for no bridge mode and their restrictions, yes I totally agree and I myself am very annoyed by this. But I don't really have any better choice here, so I had to resort to Jio in the end.

As for the router, it is in pretty much AP mode, but the IPv6 just doesn't stay.

What happens if you go back to your OEM firmware? Does it work properly?

Don't get me wrong but if it's an AP then advanced firmware is kinda wasted..if it were a router then yes by all means go for for advance firmware. Unless of course you want to tweak radio output levels etc that you dont get in OEM firmware.

my current isp alliance has sever downtime issues. that is the only reason i have to shift to jio. also what is the best model for jio router and best model for jio stb since i picked up both of these

I think Jio gives you both a router and a STB..which one is best? No idea...you'll need to ask @tatyasky or others that have a Jio connection.

Back