Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
When you get new mtnl connection you should also get new wiring done, most houses have very old mtnl internal wiring which causes most disconnection problems.In 2003 we got mtnl disconnected and switched to airtel, then our mtnl line used go dead nearly once a week. Now i switched from airtel to mtnl in march this year and got new wiring done and so far line has not gone dead even once.Only thing i dislike about mtnl is that the internet auto disconnects every 6 hours.

let me tell you something. MTNL is making heavy losses. The government wants to FIRE 2/3rd of ALL EMPLOYEES. MTNL has threatened that if there are any job cuts, they would go on strike during the Commonwealth Games 2010.

MTNL Union opposes job cuts; threatens to go on strike - The Economic Times

The company is MAKING LOSSES. The losses they make is nulled by the money we all pay through our taxes. So, essentially, we all are paying a big price for their douchery.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

The company spent Rs 717 crore as staff costs for retirement benefits during the quarter ended June 30, 2010. MTNL incurred a loss of Rs 451 crore for the quarter.

funny thing is that the government is paying them Rs. 182 crores to provide infrastrucure for the commonwealth games. do you think it would be used judiciously? god knows how many MTNL babus made shit load of money from this arrangement.

if they had contracted with a private operator, they could have saved this money by giving them free advertising.

Since there seems to be a discussion about MTNL, let me add my data point. Overall I am quite happy with the service and it's been far more reliable than Tata Indicom which I used for several years. I am not sure where the writer gets the information that MTNL is a lot worse than the others. Apart from my own experience, my impression from reading this forum is that while some people may have problems,MTNL is pretty decent by Indian standards.

but then who usually sets the indian standards? i guess the government owned services. MTNL and BSNL have to set standards. of course Reliance and Tata are no where near them in most cases. but i still cannot/won't accept that MTNL is 'anywhere' near Airtel.

MTNL here again the victim of Yellow Journalism.
After struggling with BSNL for almost an year, I migrated to Airtel. I was Airtel's first subscriber in our society - in-fact, I was the one who helped them get clearance from our society secretary for trenching their black cables. In your case it's MTNL, in my case it was BSNL. Both orgs function almost in a similar manner. BSNL broadband used to go down ever other day - and would take anything from 6-12 hours to come back up. This was three years ago. Today, still nothing has changed. My friends who live in our society still complain that BSNL goes down every other day. Many people have even claimed that the officers from our exchange have eaten money to the tune of 2cr-4cr (from private players?). I guess this explains why BSNL broadband goes down every other day in our society.

On the other hand, I've been using Airtel broadband since the last 1.5yrs and total downtime during these 1.5yrs must be 6hrs-8hrs at the most. Need I say more? The list goes on...

The thing is that if your local BSNL/MTNL exchange is managed properly and if the officers manning it are not corrupt, you can expect pretty good service. But, in my case, it was the other way round as I have described above. Getting my point?

but i still cannot/won't accept that MTNL is 'anywhere' near Airtel.

Well that may be true. I have had Airtel mobile including GPRS for four years and I am pretty happy with them too. And certainly when it comes to things like having readily available customer service centers they are much better than MTNL. Last I checked Airtel broadband isn't available in my building otherwise I would probably be using them for broadband as well.

But my point is that I don't think MTNL is so horrible that it should be singled out compared to the average ISP like the TOI article is doing. I have had some truly horrible experiences with Tata Indicom and from the forums that seems to be the case with many other people as well. My guess is MTNL is a bit above average by Indian ISP standards.

I am glad to see many ppl supporting MTNL. I thought I was alone taking their side.For me, whenever I complained (i didnt complain for broadband problem but some other reason) I got callback within a day most of the times on the same day itself.For landline complaints.. i get callback within 1hr most of the times within 10 mins... this is something always amazes me.. because I never expected MTNL to callback so fast.. but they consistently called back within an hr. Lineman come within 2-3hrs if call is made by 2 or 3PM otherwise next day.May be few ppl are unlucky, but based on reviews on this forum I can surely say that MTNL is reliable.

Nice work there Sushubh Mittal, Appreciated. Now Airtel, Tata or (TRAI) has got to do something. I liked "FUP" = f**k usage policy. It can be "Free Usage Policy" and the data limit can be set to Unlimited. lol

FYI, the article showed up today on page 12 of TOI-let paper Pune edition.

FYI, the article showed up today on page 12 of TOI-let paper Pune edition.

Yup it did, so its getting some exposure, at least, I hope. Kudos to admin and mgcarley and whoever else contributed to this piece. Cheers!

Back