Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
am i criticizing the government here? no.

am i saying i do not want to pay taxes? no.

what i am saying is that. you think mtnl is charging you less compared to other providers. but due to their mess, we all pay in the end.

you think they can continue to run a loss making operation for ever? no. even the government would get fed up one day. they are already considering firing majority of its workforce.

they would strike and the government would have to take back their decision. but be prepared for this... both MTNL and BSNL would either be privatized or sold off. unless they are profitable and competitive in the market.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

if you look at the bigger picture...

a loss making public company is a financial burden on every citizen of this country. including you and me.

the money that could have been used on infrastructure development would be used to keep it running. and we all suffer in the end.

of india published article on FUP hope atleast now serviceprovider consider decision on Fup

Well even BSNL suggested

Minimum BB Speeds

Dec 2010 --- 512 kbps
Dec 2011 --- 2 Mbps

I for one believe if not 2 Mbps at one go they should make it 1 Mbps right from Jan 1 2011 as minimum citeria for broadband ! Vodafone suggests speeds are not important.....even EDGE speeds of 144 kbps are good as long as they can reach the far flung areas :P

As of the PDFs in the link....open in IE so that it opens properly. in FF just delete those " ' "

Duly noted - I already downloaded the lot to my laptop. I sincerely hope that the minimums are raised, but at the same time as I've already mentioned, the wholesale prices need to come down.

As all of u r discussing about Fair Usage Policy. I have an idea for those who r all in Delhi and Mumbai if u r all on Airtel or some other ISP which has f**king Fair Usage Policy why don't u change over the ISP to MTNL Unlimited plans which doesn't have Fair Usage Policy and so u all dont crap about ur experiences with other ISP that have Fair Usage Policy.

This will atleast a team effort which will make other ISP to kick their Fair Usage Policy down the drain if they want consumer base.

If u all dont want Fair Usage Policy change ur ISP as simple as that. Very sorry about people in cities other than Mumbai and Delhi as they dont have MTNL.

I have been using MTNL Triband since its inception and never had problem. I'm on 1 mbps Unlimited plan and even cant cross 15GB in a month. God knows how do people cross 200Gb as said by Airtel which they call as data/bandwidth hoggers.

As mgcarley wrote as MTNL didn't capitalize on being first to have 3G they r in debt of crores but dont worry central govt can easily rescue them.
mgcarley r u Indian or just on working visa in India with Hayai broadband as ur name sounds foreignish:imwink:.

In the end just one thing MTNL is the best ISP in India.:dance:

I think the MTNL issue has been discussed. It works well for some people, for others it's hopeless.

Moving on, technically speaking, no-one can get 200GB per month on ANY of the new Airtel plans anymore - 256kbit/s allows a maximum of about 80GB per month plus whatever you can download at the faster speeds, so in theory 130GB is about the maximum unless you go for one of the ultra-high speed plans (only in Delhi, I think) or a business plan.

And MTNL's debt isn't just crores, it's THOUSANDS of crores - and central government can't really rescue them, because guess who MTNL owes the money to?

Yes, I'm very much a foreigner-ish-ist, and I kind of own the company since I provided the money for the paid-up-capital, and all the legal expenses came continue to come out of my pocket, and I came up with the idea of trying to build a better ISP in the first place. Next step: PIO card :D

admin of course it comes from taxes what's the big deal. U dont want to pay taxes, be realistic everyone needs to pay tax. And if u earn within 1.6 lac u dont need to pay tax. Pls be realistic friend. Either be a govt employee and enjoy benefit or else one will always criticize the govt.

1.6 lakh? A year? OMG. I could live on that if I had to, but just to be eligible for an employment visa I'm supposed to earn almost that much in a month (on paper, anyway).

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

of india published article on FUP hope atleast now serviceprovider consider decision on Fup

We take the FUP pretty seriously. That's why (technically speaking) we won't have one. Guidelines yes, hard limits... not so much. Better not to piss off the people who pay the bills - especially as a startup ;)

i wont say bsnl/ mtnl are best but in total are better than tata/ tikona crap .Mg i dont think anyone will have a problem with 100gb limit right now, u can always give them 10% afterwards on unlimited plans so they stay happy.Start soon lol !

that has been the whole problem with the mindset. i have people saying that they do not have problems with 8GB FUP. of course, a lot of people are not going to be affected by a 100GB FUP. but think of the future.

with these limits, how do you see india getting services that have become fairly common in the developed countries? video on demand?

MG wrote something about that in our response to times of india.

the limits are going to restrict the growth of online services in india.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Not only this, but restrictions are also preventing any of the “good stuff” which you might find in Europe. Finland, Sweden, Netherlands and Estonia, for example have successful startup companies delivering many great services to consumers which can only be available when there are no restrictions on Internet usage.

However, because of the restrictions in India, none of these sorts of things can actually start up or otherwise get a foothold in India - services like iTunes, Last.fm, Spotify and countless others. Even things like Microsoft Windows Updates and updates to other software products are affected by the FUP.

Unlike most of Europe and even the US, Australia and NZ, you can’t even watch the news online - in fact, pretty much the only freebie you can get in India is the IPL. It’s a start, but not really enough.

Our feedback to Times of India regarding Airtel Fair Usage Policy

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

i don't think even IPL was a freebie. airtel provided more bandwidth for the IPL streaming on YouTube. but i believe that bandwidth was counted in the total data transfer alloted to you.

i dont expect a new venture to be giving us all of a sudden no limit plans .They need to stabilize and recover initial costs.And by limits it will help because i dont see any change in isps if hayai fails !

most of airtel related complaints are related to FUP. and their mobile services.

i actually keep an eye on airtel keyword on twitter. so i know...

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

here is a sample complaint about airtel! Twitter / Mahesh: Dear AirTel, I really don ...

Let me too add a voice of support to MTNL. I too think the article showed an anti-MTNL bias. From all the discussion on this thread, it is pretty clear that Airtel and MTNL are the two most popular ISPs for whatever reason. None of the others seem to even come close. So let us for argument sake list them as number 1 and 2 respectively although some may argue in favour of the reverse order.In such a scenario to accuse MTNL of being unreliable is unfair because it is without any frame of reference. It therefore implies that MTNL is unreliable in comparison to even the Tatas and Tikonas of this world and that is certainly a totally unfair assessment by any standard.I myself have been using MTNL for a few years now and have been reasonably satisfied. I started years ago using VSNL dialup. Later, with the advent of broadband, I shifted to IQARA, now called YOU. I had loads of downtime with YOU, the final straw being 36 days down. It was then that I shifted to MTNL. MTNL has a problem with customer care because the call centre people are not very bright. Now may I know which ISP has bright CC people?I cannot argue that overall MTNL is better or worse than Airtel because I have not encountered the ISP of the latter but certainly had issues with their mobile phone CC.In general I am satisfied that MTNL delivers what I pay for. To single them out for unreliable service is grossly unfair.Note what I am saying. I am not claiming that the service is completely reliable as both MG and admin have provided cases of unreliability. But to single them out when they are probably in the top quartile at least is grossly unfair. You may have more complaints about MTNL but that could be because of higher penetration. I am sure 50% of unsatisfied customers will complain about service while a small fraction of one percent of the satisfied ones will declare satisfaction.

Back