Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
Let me too add a voice of support to MTNL. I too think the article showed an anti-MTNL bias. From all the discussion on this thread, it is pretty clear that Airtel and MTNL are the two most popular ISPs for whatever reason. None of the others seem to even come close. So let us for argument sake list them as number 1 and 2 respectively although some may argue in favour of the reverse order.
In such a scenario to accuse MTNL of being unreliable is unfair because it is without any frame of reference. It therefore implies that MTNL is unreliable in comparison to even the Tatas and Tikonas of this world and that is certainly a totally unfair assessment by any standard.
I myself have been using MTNL for a few years now and have been reasonably satisfied. I started years ago using VSNL dialup. Later, with the advent of broadband, I shifted to IQARA, now called YOU. I had loads of downtime with YOU, the final straw being 36 days down. It was then that I shifted to MTNL. MTNL has a problem with customer care because the call centre people are not very bright. Now may I know which ISP has bright CC people?
I cannot argue that overall MTNL is better or worse than Airtel because I have not encountered the ISP of the latter but certainly had issues with their mobile phone CC.
In general I am satisfied that MTNL delivers what I pay for. To single them out for unreliable service is grossly unfair.
Note what I am saying. I am not claiming that the service is completely reliable as both MG and admin have provided cases of unreliability. But to single them out when they are probably in the top quartile at least is grossly unfair. You may have more complaints about MTNL but that could be because of higher penetration. I am sure 50% of unsatisfied customers will complain about service while a small fraction of one percent of the satisfied ones will declare satisfaction.

While Sushubh (@admin) and I can point out a number of people who experience significant downtime with MTNL, many others may be able to point to a number of people who do not experience much, if any downtime.

As with any ISP in India at the moment, unfortunately, the experience is never guaranteed and thus "your mileage may vary". We hope to change this which is why we're not working with cablewalas and everyone who has asked about franchising has been told that, even if we did franchise, they would have to adhere to *my* guidelines about building a network so as to not have anyone do a "half-assed" job and provide sub-standard service. They would also have to adhere to our official pricing (no extra hidden charges). That seems to scare off most of them.

While I agree that the article may have been wrong to single out MTNL, I agree for the most part that MTNL is probably as reliable or unreliable as any other ISP, however, the point was made for one reason only: MTNL is pretty much the only ISP left in India which does not have an explicit fair usage policy. I feel that the reason behind the author making this comment is this: yes, it has no FUP (yay), but obviously some percentage of the user-base complains about reliability (boo), which negates that particular positive aspect.

I hereby dub this predicament "Broadband Roulette" - do you feel lucky?

i would like to clarify again that neither mg nor me talked about mtnl in our response. i was all about airtel. mg was mostly about the technical aspect.

Just wanted to update you guys. I had a talk with ToI guy again who is doing another story one year after this one was published.

Here is what I said basically in case they quote me incorrectly or whatever!

[*]I understand that unlimited plans are not practical anymore especially on high speed plans.
[*]I am not against fair usage policy as long as limits are reasonable.
[*]I am now more in favor of data based plans for users who are regularly affected by fair usage policies on unlimited plans.
[*]Data based plans have to be reasonably priced considering they are not unlimited and should be targeted at heavy users.
[*]I believe 10-15 bucks per GB is reasonable based on the unofficial reports that wholesale bandwidth costing is around 3-4 rupees for ISPs.
[*]Bottleneck of speed should be removed for people on data based plans as they are paying for what they are consuming.
[*]Essentially, let us (heavy users) buy bundles of bandwidth at reasonable prices (I emphasized that 10 bucks per GB is something most of the people on this forum are okish with) and let us consume them at speeds that are not restricted at all.
[/list]Basically... I am not actively protesting against the fair usage policies anymore but the fact remains we are not happy with the current broadband scenario in the country.

I would imagine that some of you might not support my views. But I think this is a more reasonable alternative to fair usage policies for heavy users.

^^ perhaps you should have given ur reply in a more simple way fr general public....Pay for X Mbit then forget. make restriction on mad downloader's as in consensus with TRAI guidelines(I hope many have faith in them).I think some TRAI consultation papers even questioned the unusually complicated plans with 'hidden' fups and all. In due future a directive from them is bound to come in this matter.

my response was largely focused on this forum as he asked me as a broad representation of this forum's current point of view. general public and a lot of people here too might not agree with my points. there are still going to be people who would expect 1/2/5mbps unlimited with no FUP for 1/2/3000 rupees or less or whatever. :)

10/GB is pretty reasonable. Companies like MTNL don't even have to charge for laying cables etc. So 100-200 rupees as maintenance. Most people would be okay with such a plan.

well i largely stated my views based on statements made by mathew on the forum wrt bandwidth pricing.if he is happy to (re)sell bandwidth at 10 bucks per GB... companies like mtnl/bsnl/reliance/airtel should easily be able to match him!

there are still going to be people who would expect 1/2/5mbps unlimited with no FUP for 1/2/3000 rupees or less or whatever. :)

lets say 3000 inr is roughly 46 euro

Sweden 100/100 16 to 35 euro [ depending on region] no fup , no throttling no other shit, 1000/1000 for roughly 80 euro for 130 euro you get teli and other frils.

Norway 120/120 fiber 70 euro max or 500 NOK, again no fup and other crap

Japan 1000/100 35 yen .

the idea of paying as you use is not going to work , no one wants to a mini calculator doing data calculations per month. there is tons of bw going around but isps have limited pov of what you should get and we are easily some 5 to 10 years behind the rest of good net world, with hayai becoming operational , it would be start but there are still miles to go and i really don't think any isp in india is interested in going that extra mile. i would easily pay 8 to 10 k for 100/100 with absolute no limits in India as am sure many other people would.

btw you should mentioned that airtel should stop throttling speeds and stop doing deep packet inspections too :P

I hope you are not Forgetting your are living in India?Offering Such Speeds at Rs 10/Gb is more than a Bargain.

the idea of paying as you use is not going to work , no one wants to a mini calculator doing data calculations per month. there is tons of bw going around but isps have limited pov of what you should get and we are easily some 5 to 10 years behind the rest of good net world, with hayai becoming operational , it would be start but there are still miles to go and i really don't think any isp in india is interested in going that extra mile. i would easily pay 8 to 10 k for 100/100 with absolute no limits in India as am sure many other people would.

I too think the idea of data paying is bs, This is not wireless where such things are necessary. And this kind of concept is really detrimental in long run, i don't think any other bb developed country uses it.
about the lagging problem i think we have no option, we are still developing and a long long way to go. Don't expect any drastic changes before BB penetration reaches 5-6 cr.

Back