Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
There's a good change that the article will be headlined : "Owner of India's largest broadband forum agrees that unlimited plans unfeasible, metered access the way forward"

^^unfortunately i feel that some here(many) are heading towards the wrong path. As a customer we should only care for ourself and what is in our best interest. metered access is definitely not the way, if the ISP's face headache:beat-up: due to this that's there problem not ours.The DoT(or TRAI rather) is already putting Roaming to a dead end(i.e. it will be abolished), it is high time that they also abolish FUP's.BTW the forum is reminding me of Germans under Nazis, completely brainwashed.:P ...just joking

Err.. If you notice TRAI just implemented a "FUP" of 100 SMS / day across the country... :pAlso .. what next .... would you say unlimited calling over phone should be the only option?

Err.. If you notice TRAI just implemented a "FUP" of 100 SMS / day across the country... :p

Also .. what next .... would you say unlimited calling over phone should be the only option?
I think the cap is more of an effect of the TRAI decisionmakers being 2-3 generations behind the users

They are unlikely to abolish them. Especially if ISPs can show about being non-profitable (on a per head basis) in that model...

I think Rs. 10 per GB is a bit on the higher side. Currently, the difference between Airtel 75GB and 150GB plan at both 2mbps and 4mbps speed is Rs. 400 /- i.e., Above 75GB. the additional 75 GB costs Rs. 400 /- which is like Rs. 5.33 per GB. If ISPs can get wholesale bandwidth at Rs. 3-4 per GB, I think a price of Rs. 5-6 per GB is fair for the consumer.

l33t mentioned some examples from other countries. One of my friends in Canada uses this:

Shaw Internet

He pays CA$ 70 and gets 500GB at 100 Mbps.

From next year, they even have a Bump-Up Program. This means that if you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. You’ll receive the higher speeds and data allowance and will be charged the difference between package pricing. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data usage will be reset to zero. They don't throttle the speed to 256 kbps. These kind of speeds and plans might be possible in India may be in 2050.

Err.. If you notice TRAI just implemented a "FUP" of 100 SMS / day across the country... :p

Also .. what next .... would you say unlimited calling over phone should be the only option?

FUP's on SMS was a bad decision but one can't undermine the good decisions taken by them also. Also the telemarketer/SMS policy just needs refinements, it is not structurally flawed.

about "unlimited calling" vs unlimted/no fup...it is purely a ques. about the model/the correct way. The world is based on unlimited Internet as it is the very requisite/ need of the system. In analogous terms the developed world pays for the pipe, the force of water but here u want to add and also make them pay for the volume of water.

Can you tell me which 2 plans are you referring toAirtel - I see them 1599 (75 GB) & 2099 (150 GB) @ chennai... That does NOT include TAXES...with taxes 1750 & 2300 respectivelyHayai gives you 75 GB @ 1300 , 150 GB @ 2050 and that includes taxes

I think Rs. 10 per GB is a bit on the higher side. Currently, the difference between Airtel 75GB and 150GB plan at both 2mbps and 4mbps speed is Rs. 400 /- i.e., Above 75GB. the additional 75 GB costs Rs. 400 /- which is like Rs. 5.33 per GB. If ISPs can get wholesale bandwidth at Rs. 3-4 per GB, I think a price of Rs. 5-6 per GB is fair for the consumer.

are you kidding :D? That Rs 3-4 Per Gb which company is paying that would be for Whole 1Gbit/s Speeds.
at that 1 or 2mbps speeds or say 4mbps a company like beam can provide a Gb at 1 Rupee!
So stop getting confused.

Basically Hayai here Assume is getting per GB for Rs 6, they are selling it for Rs 10 Inclusive taxes. Let it be flat rate or Pay as you Go. You are asked to pay infrastructure fees+ 10/Gb.

Back