Times of India on Fair Usage Policy

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 134
  • Views Views 23,042
Hayai gives you 75 GB @ 1300 , 150 GB @ 2050 and that includes taxes

@offtopic
Stop quoting still on paper plans for God's sake. If airtel can give 150GB for 2k @ slower speeds then they can also provide it for half the price. No one knows it better than mg himself and don't forget the 3-4 rs. BW costs which all of u are quoting does not exist for Airtel(we all know why!). Hence it is not a question of why but when?

So in that sense, they are charging more at the beginning itself :D
I am sorry they would get it for Rs 6-7/Gb as of now. As they are buying bandwidth initially in small amount.
When their customers database grows and when they buy Good amount of Atleast STM 64 bandwidth they would get Per GB for Rs 3 or 4.

I think Rs. 10 per GB is a bit on the higher side. Currently, the difference between Airtel 75GB and 150GB plan at both 2mbps and 4mbps speed is Rs. 400 /- i.e., Above 75GB. the additional 75 GB costs Rs. 400 /- which is like Rs. 5.33 per GB. If ISPs can get wholesale bandwidth at Rs. 3-4 per GB, I think a price of Rs. 5-6 per GB is fair for the consumer.

My quote of Hayai was in response of this comparison only

----------

The poster compared the Rs.10 of Hayai?

Can you tell me which 2 plans are you referring to

Airtel - I see them 1599 (75 GB) & 2099 (150 GB) @ chennai... That does NOT include TAXES...with taxes 1750 & 2300 respectively

Hayai gives you 75 GB @ 1300 , 150 GB @ 2050 and that includes taxes

Airtel plans in Chennai:
@2 Mbps: 75GB = Rs. 1599; 150GB = Rs. 1999
@4 Mbps: 75GB = Rs. 1699; 150GB = Rs. 2099

are you kidding :D? That Rs 3-4 Per Gb which company is paying that would be for Whole 1Gbit/s Speeds.
at that 1 or 2mbps speeds or say 4mbps a company like beam can provide a Gb at 1 Rupee!
So stop getting confused.

Basically Hayai here Assume is getting per GB for Rs 6, they are selling it for Rs 10 Inclusive taxes. Let it be flat rate or Pay as you Go. You are asked to pay infrastructure fees+ 10/Gb.

I wasn't aware of that. In that case, we are being fleeced. In any case, I personally think the high speed data amount should be increased even at the current tariff.

the plans you all are talking about are based on laws of averages. some users might use more. others might use less. the plans i am talking about are individual plans that are not loss making to the ISP. and thus, they have no reasons to NOT OFFER these plans.

Airtel plans in Chennai:
@2 Mbps: 75GB = Rs. 1599; 150GB = Rs. 1999
@4 Mbps: 75GB = Rs. 1699; 150GB = Rs. 2099

These are Dumbest plans In my opinion. you are being thrown back to 256k after using few hundred of GB.

----------

the plans you all are talking about are based on laws of averages. some users might use more. others might use less.

the plans i am talking about are individual plans that are not loss making to the ISP. and thus, they have no reasons to NOT OFFER these plans.
Yeah they are based on law of averages. If someone downloads more, the other will downloads less.. then there it will be adjusted and companies easily makes a profit.

133t said:
lets say 3000 inr is roughly 46 euro

Sweden 100/100 16 to 35 euro [ depending on region] no fup , no throttling no other shit, 1000/1000 for roughly 80 euro for 130 euro you get teli and other frils.

Norway 120/120 fiber 70 euro max or 500 NOK, again no fup and other crap

Japan 1000/100 35 yen .

ALL of these countries use an unbundled loop which is all government owned/subsidized and as such is not really comparable to the situation in India which, despite there being hundreds of licensed ISPs, is not a competitive market.

NTT Japan is one of the largest carriers of bandwidth in the world and there are phenomenal amounts of capacity between Japan and the US.

Sweden and Norway likewise have the advantage of being relatively near to AMS, FRA, CDG and LHR (that's Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and London for those who don't know Airport codes) which are among THE LARGEST Internet exchanges in the world. Moreover, in the Nordic countries the huge taxes are doing a lot to get all this wonderful new infrastructure built. In India, all the government infrastructure is WAY too expensive for private players to be bothered with - it's cheaper to build our own by a very very large margin.

In all of these countries, peering is dirt cheap. And I mean REALLY dirt cheap. As in like, 1,000 euros for 10gbit/s interconnects. One of Europe's newest IX points, STHIX which started only a couple of years ago in Stockholm, already dwarfs the entire capacity of NIXI, which started in what, 2003?

Finally, Telia (Sweden) is, like NTT, a HUGE carrier of bandwidth, and has more routes from North America to Europe than we can even dream of at the moment, and US-Europe bandwidth rates are dirt cheap as well.

133t said:
the idea of paying as you use is not going to work , no one wants to a mini calculator doing data calculations per month. there is tons of bw going around but isps have limited pov of what you should get and we are easily some 5 to 10 years behind the rest of good net world, with hayai becoming operational , it would be start but there are still miles to go and i really don't think any isp in india is interested in going that extra mile. i would easily pay 8 to 10 k for 100/100 with absolute no limits in India as am sure many other people would.

That would totally explain the popularity of Airtel's Rs9k a month and BSNL's 10+k a month plans. Oh wait, nobody takes them.

balajik said:
I think Rs. 10 per GB is a bit on the higher side. Currently, the difference between Airtel 75GB and 150GB plan at both 2mbps and 4mbps speed is Rs. 400 /- i.e., Above 75GB. the additional 75 GB costs Rs. 400 /- which is like Rs. 5.33 per GB. If ISPs can get wholesale bandwidth at Rs. 3-4 per GB, I think a price of Rs. 5-6 per GB is fair for the consumer.

It's a start. Rule of thumb in accounting suggests that the retail price should be minimum 3x the buying price. I'm confident that the larger ISPs get bandwidth at way cheaper rates than we do at present, but how much cheaper I can only speculate. I know what I pay now, and I know what I'm going to pay at my next tier, but I don't know what I'll pay when I reach 100gbit/s+ traffic levels.

balajik said:
l33t mentioned some examples from other countries. One of my friends in Canada uses this:

Shaw Internet

He pays CA$ 70 and gets 500GB at 100 Mbps.

See above about the situation in Europe - all this is over open infrastructure. The only difference is, they're connected to the USA instead of Europe. But the same effect is there.

From next year, they even have a Bump-Up Program. This means that if you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. You’ll receive the higher speeds and data allowance and will be charged the difference between package pricing. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data usage will be reset to zero. They don't throttle the speed to 256 kbps. These kind of speeds and plans might be possible in India may be in 2050.[/QUOTE]

sixfeetdown said:
are you kidding :D? That Rs 3-4 Per Gb which company is paying that would be for Whole 1Gbit/s Speeds.
at that 1 or 2mbps speeds or say 4mbps a company like beam can provide a Gb at 1 Rupee!
So stop getting confused.

Are you high? I think you are very confused - see my sig.

1GB costs almost exactly the same to deliver to the customer (save minor differences in the cost of electricity at the core routers and a few other basic factors) at 1mbit/s as at 1,000mbit/s.

If you buy a cable for Rs100 and connect it between 2 computers, is that cable magically going cost you any less if you artificially reduce the throughput of that cable to 1mbit/s? I very seriously doubt it.

sixfeetdown said:
Basically Hayai here Assume is getting per GB for Rs 6, they are selling it for Rs 10 Inclusive taxes. Let it be flat rate or Pay as you Go. You are asked to pay infrastructure fees+ 10/Gb.

There are good reasons for this. OTOH, these include
1. It reduces our annual license fee obligation.
2. It allows an easy switch of plan (flat-rate data, buy more data without more infra fees, upgrade/downgrade of flat-rate etc)
3. Transparency

devx101 said:
@offtopic
Stop quoting still on paper plans for God's sake. If airtel can give 150GB for 2k @ slower speeds then they can also provide it for half the price. No one knows it better than mg himself and don't forget the 3-4 rs. BW costs which all of u are quoting does not exist for Airtel(we all know why!). Hence it is not a question of why but when?

Prices as of now are final.

sixfeetdown said:
I am sorry they would get it for Rs 6-7/Gb as of now. As they are buying bandwidth initially in small amount.
When their customers database grows and when they buy Good amount of Atleast STM 64 bandwidth they would get Per GB for Rs 3 or 4.

I can't really comment on our actual pricing but I can say that yes, volume discounts do help a lot, to the point where you're way off about both our pricing and the cost at the STM-64 level ;)

Our initial bandwidth purchases are not that high, however we have committed to some pretty serious stuff and that's what they looked at when they gave us our pricing.

These are Dumbest plans In my opinion. you are being thrown back to 256k after using few hundred of GB.

----------

Yeah they are based on law of averages. If someone downloads more, the other will downloads less.. then there it will be adjusted and companies easily makes a profit.

there lies the problem. if majority of your users end up consuming more, you are going to make a loss. and this is where these companies thought about fair usage policies because a noticeable number of users were becoming loss making.

the concept i support today is such that the company has simply no excuse not to offer plans like these. because every customer pays for what he use and he remains profitable for the company. no complications. no worries about FUPs in the future. and as bandwidth prices goes down, the charges for the services goes down and not up.

the concept i support today is such that the company has simply no excuse not to offer plans like these. because every customer pays for what he use and he remains profitable for the company. no complications. no worries about FUPs in the future. and as bandwidth prices goes down, the charges for the services goes down and not up.
Mobile phone market has proven you wrong

6 months back I was paying 1p/6sec , now i am paying 1p/sec
GPRS was Rs48/month 1GB
now its Rs48/3weeks

Missed call service was free, now its Rs7/month
I guess its the same story with all operators

Back