Tripleplay Broadband Review

• Thread starter Thread starter JB701
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 231
  • Views Views 35,564
I recently switched again ISP again from ANI Broadband to Tripleplay.

Context:-

ANI Broadband had been running very well for me with close to full speeds to international servers and good routing but recently they switched me (or rather the LCO) over to a different network which had many problems with reliability and speed. I was quite annoyed considering that ANI has worked well for me for close to 8 months. It seems to be an LCO specific issue as it is still good on other LCOs.

My LCO decided switch me over to another ISP (Precious Netcomm or PNPL) as ANI was having some reliability issues even on their side.

Unfortunately PNPL has its own share of issues, it works very well during morning (over 100Mbps to international servers) when there is little to no congestion but in evening it chugs (<5Mbps). So I was on the lookout for another ISP from another LCO.

@kanurag94 helped me out a lot in finding a new LCO (he lives in the same area as I). He told me about Tripleplay Broadband and gave me their number (Tripleplay doesn’t advertise much in my area; I wasn’t able to find any flyers with their number on it).

Setup/Installation:-

I messaged Tripleplay LCO and told them to set it all up on Sunday (9th Feb). The entire installation took 4 hours; I opted for fiber instead of copper, so setup took much longer. They came to my house at around 11AM and I had internet around 3PM. Installation cost was Rs. 2000. I had my own ONT so told them I didn’t want one. The termination box looks just like the one that ANI had.

Initially they didn’t set me up with Tripleplay, they made me an account with Zeonet. Zeonet had the same congestion problem as with PNPL except it was much worse (slowed down to mere 1Mbps at night). Here are the speedtests if anyone is interested:

9022873334.png
9022876407.png
9022878892.png

At evening:-

5732879660.png

@kanurag94 again helped me out and told me ask my LCO to switch me over to Tripleplay, I was worried that they won’t do it because I already paid for it. I messaged them again and they were willing to switch me over to Tripleplay.

The day after, they switched me over to Tripleplay with static IP.

Pricing:-

I’m paying Rs.1000 for 100Mbps. Its a much better deal compared to Rs.2500/month for ANI I have been paying for until now.

Public static ISP:-

In my ANI review I said that they were the only ISP in my neighbourhood who offered static IP but it turns out I was wrong. My LCO hooked me up with a public static IP right away. Its not 1:1 NAT like ANI either, I just have to put in my public IP directly on my router; pretty neat.

Speedtest Results:-

9029586997.png
9029589814.png
9029597024.png

Speeds are very good even better than ANI. At 6-7AM I’m able to hit close to 120Mbps even on international servers. The tests above were done at around 9:30PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
After that disconnection the social media situation seems to have improved a lot.
I monitored the speed while using it, earlier the average speed while browsing social media was around 125 Kbps which spiked to not more than 600 Kbps at times.
Now average sits around 800-900 Kbps and spikes to 1.5 MBps at times.

Tripleplay is struggling hard tonight with international servers during peak times (for some reason share button isn't showing up):

Ping doesn't increase though and there is no packet loss even to non-peered servers.
Its usually slowest between 10:00-10:30PM and improves quite quickly after that. It has been happening more this and previous week and I presume its because of higher internet usage due to the people working from home/staying at home? Not sure.

But to be fair to Tripleplay, my backup ISP PNPL fares much much worse:

Anyways, Extreme IX traffic graphs does indicate that usage has increased quite a bit during past week:

graph-php1.png

And hits peak right around this time:

graph-php.png

Even Cloudflare made a blog on this

Edit:

11:10PM, it's gotten better now

Speed normal in the morning

Last edited:
Tech guy from my local isp was also saying the same thing and thier transit link is running almost to full capacity and thier seeing slowdown at thier transit level at both tata and airtel.
This is mainly because of students,kids and all WFM guys.

students/ids choking their TRANSIT bandwidth? kids/studs these days mostly consumed peered traffic right?
( I suspect they are playing miser on buying TRANSITS thinking 90% of time they can get away with peering but nobody applies for broadband when they have mobile data for non -heavy <4GB/data day usage, gone are 2005 era days :D)

also other than people in hardcore IT/Design services, I haven't seen high bandwidth for other works personllY?

Torrents consume alot of international bandwidth.
IT guys may not consider huge bandwidth but the fact that they're home will have impact on data usage like smart tv etc. These guys don't have enough users/resources to setup a torrent cache server which might help them to free up transit bandwidth.

nope, have tripleplay and excitel both. Luckily excitel is working at max consistently. Tripleplay choked somewhat for a very small time to the extent I couldn't load photos on insta without a hiccup.

Well nobody is gonna sign-up for a broadband just for peering usage?(and these I have seen aversness to torrents by people who mostly grew on mobile platforms, torrent-beards are when who has computer and blessed with unabridged internet(broadband) in their earlier days, most people either strm on netflix/pirated-youtube video fo old flixes/123movies/sk their local vedor who sells movie INR2-10/movie as far as I have observed)

Back