• Replies Replies 15
  • Views Views 5,305
S

siddharth021

whenever i start ubuntu i get the following message:

Alert! /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk does not exist

version= 8.10

plzz help.....

how did you install it? if you have windows do a full disk check for bad sectors...

i installed it inside windows........

how did you install it? if you have windows do a full disk check for bad sectors...
diskcheck done.......now ??

Remove unwanted start-up programs from service settings and session preferences.
how ??

BTW...r u talking abt windows ??

so it stopped working suddenly or is it a brand new installation and you just cannot boot into it?

I guess this is due to corrupted ntfs(window$ partition ,which window$ can repair if you boot into that thing) partition where the root.disk image reside , which cannot be read from Linux(ubuntu).what you may try is to boot into your window$ ,select the partition where root.iso exists or simply check every partition to be checked and fixed by file system checker(dont know what it is called?) in window$.
remember ,your ubuntu is mounted on /hosts directory!dont mess with that!
--
wubi is not recommended.why not install from CD ?too much dependence on window$.
--
My Solution is - you download Ubuntu iso ,burn it into a cd and install on a seperate Linux partition(ext3).
Help is here:
Standard installation

To install Ubuntu, you will need compatible hardware and an installation CD. The following guides will help you with these steps.

[*]Check if your hardware works with Ubuntu and meets the minimum system requirements. (see SupportedArchitectures, HardwareSupport and Installation/SystemRequirements)
[*]Obtain an installation CD. (see GettingUbuntu)
[*]If you downloaded a CD image, burn it to a CD (see BurningIsoHowto) and check to make sure it was burned correctly. (see Installation/CDIntegrityCheck)
[*]Install Ubuntu by booting from the installation CD. (see GraphicalInstall)
[/list]

wubi is perfect for cases when you 'do not' want to partition your drive. i have worked on wubi powered linux for months at a stretch as my primary OS. i just made sure i kept all the documents and files on the windows partition. this way, any potential problem could be fixed by reinstalling linux from windows again. you do lose your personalization but you do not have to mess up with partitions and stuff like that.

Back