Unfair practice being carried out by TATA SKY

• Thread starter Thread starter VivR
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44
  • Views Views 10,745
DTH India - Tata Sky Faq's

Can a subscriber transfer the ownership of the box to someone else?

Effective 30 December, 2010 the Transfer of Ownership facility has been withdrawn. In case of discontinuation of services on subscriber’s request, the subscriber will not be allowed to transfer the digicomp/connection to anybody else.
The subscriber’s account will stand cancelled. Remaining account balance, if any, shall stand forfeited.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

haha!

well TS gets criticism even if they price their boxes low..... amazing ...In a world of changing lifestyles be prepared to keep any item not more than 2 years except land and gold(even wives are changed by some after 2 years)...so whats the big deal abt a set top box...

well TS gets criticism even if they price their boxes low..... amazing ...In a world of changing lifestyles be prepared to keep any item not more than 2 years except land and gold(even wives are changed by some after 2 years)...so whats the big deal abt a set top box...

:rofl:

They have introduced a NEW service which requires NEW hardware.

May be but where is the proof!

YOu have a car - you now want to upgrade to the newer model. How can you insist that

1. they value the new offering based on what their previous one was sold at?
2. that they buy back old ones.

They do buy old ones sometimes or at least can surely arrange for it through some third party. Also it is a mismatched example, because you may have two cars and you can use both at different times, but having two sets are pointless if the newer one is having every thing which the older set is having plus extra features.

Remember - No one held a gun to our heads then, and no one is holding a gun to our heads now.

Yes! Neither Tata Sky is holding gun on me nor vice versa, but, if not legally, it is both commercially and ethically wrong not to give some options (e.g., exchange offer) to their customers who have bought the sets 1, 2 or even 6 months back and are willing to upgrade it to their new offering of HD PVR.

On one hand you (Tata Sky) say - hey, you cannot transfer it to anyone else - and it is locked so you cannot sell it also - on the other hand you compare it with car and computer accessories. Tell me any car or any electronic gadgets or computer parts which get so much outdated in just six month that it becomes so worthless that you cannot sell it for any money at all

Totally agree on the outdated/can't sell/exchange part - Only the price part , I feel they have right to set market prices based on their business strategies and costs (World Cup being a lucrative time to sell loads of them)

Guys!Because they have kept the price a bit lower this time and because HD with PVR is a new thing and people are more in the mood of celebrating it along with the ongoing WC, rather than seeing what could be valid in my arguments, i would like to give up here.But before i leave, let me tell you one thing - if we do not see anything wrong in this move Tata Sky has taken - then the time is not very far when they will come up with another feature - say, downloading contents directly in your PVR or surfing the web on TV through the PVR through the internet you already have at your home or office - but wait! - Tata sky will announce - you have to purchase another box @ Rs. 3999 or Rs. 4999 - why so? - because the current box is not compatible because they have not put the WAN card in it (so that you can surf or download wirelessly through wi-fi) or even not through the already available ethernet port in it because it has become outdated by now or there is some technical glitch. Ok Tata sky - no problem - we are new generation folks and we understand that the things get outdated just even in six months - so we will buy a new box, we will pay another 4000 rupees and we will also throw away the existing box which we paid Rs. 3,999 for and we will accept that is absolutely worthless in six month as far as the new features are concerned.And as soon as the whole customer base of Tata sky plus settled down to enjoy with another new box, voila! they have a new feature - you can plug your 20 GB USB pen drive directly in the STB and can play all the music, photos and videos therein and open and read documents - word, excel or pdf - as well as - you can send them attached through email if you wish to anyone you want. Also, the user interface is super cool this time, more user friendly, more intuitive. Do you want it? - yes, yes of course! - i do want it i send a lot of emails or it is cool to be able to play media of my own choice on my LCD just by inserting by USB pen into it..... Hey! But wait... the existing USB port is not compatible and the new UI can also not be implemented just through software update... so you have to purchase a new box, and sorry this time it is a bit costly - Rs. 8,999 + 99 paise + taxes. Oh! And what about the existing box we just upgraded just a couple of months ago? Sorry my loyal customers! throw away - that is of no use folks. And no you can not sell it - it is locked and you have signed an agreement for that, and there is also no ownership transfer possible so you can even not gift it.The problem is here guys! On us, they do have kept gun... the only thing is you have to see it in long run...Thanks!

That is pretty much same will all products - I think you are unhappy with the speed of the changes that are happening. And it happens everywhere, take mobiles, TVs, PCs and pretty much everything electronic. That is why I said exchange/sell should be allowed - but you cannot tell them - you know what, get all features ready & then sell the product. With HD transmission starting recently (which they would have been made aware), they had to quickly get them up & running & sell as many as possible while it can sell it like hotcakes. Its purely business.

May be but where is the proof!

Sir... this is the HD PVR ... the older one is a SD PVR. The differences between the two are well cataloged on this forum. There you have proof of New service and New hardware.

They do buy old ones sometimes or at least can surely arrange for it through some third party.

Exactly what I said.... This is a SERVICE they render (that too ONLY if its a profit making division in itself). Not to be confused as A MATTER OF RIGHT by anyone. Every bill for any commodity contains the disclaimer the "goods once sold will not be taken back" :)

Also it is a mismatched example, because you may have two cars and you can use both at different times, but having two sets are pointless if the newer one is having every thing which the older set is having plus extra features.

Sorry but please do not generalise. In fact I have done exactly that - use two PVRs! The Older PVR was moved to the kids room and is hooked to our old 29" CRT. Kids are thrilled to have their own PVR! So I get to enjoy HD PVR on my Plasma, and the kids have their fill of SD stuff on the CRT. No duplication or wasted facility/resource! :)

I also did give the example of a CPU. That is relevant?

Yes! Neither Tata Sky is holding gun on me nor vice versa, but, if not legally, it is both commercially and ethically wrong not to give some options (e.g., exchange offer) to their customers who have bought the sets 1, 2 or even 6 months back and are willing to upgrade it to their new offering of HD PVR.

Sorry. You may buy anything today and the manufacturer may release another version the next day, a week later, or a month later. This is true with everything around us. You draw a line anywhere you will find people on both sides of it. Which side has benefited is always a matter of PoV. A good example will be School admissions - one is supposed to be 'X' age by 'Y' date .. lets say by 1st of June in a year. So what about the children who were born on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th of June - they have to either wait a full year to be eligible to join, or of course parents have to adopt other "methods" :) ?

IN business upgrades are a part of life - and any/all business literature would specify that clearly - including brochures. You will find the disclaimer that "specifications are subject to change" in any piece of literature since this is an ongoing process. When a new product is launched, exchange schemes are NOT a matter of right! In this case TS may have taken the stand that they are in the business of selling NEW connections - not reselling old hardware - and they are well within their rights legally, commercially, and morally to do so!

Newer models of anything will always have newer and better features. It is upto us to decide if the improvement is worth the money being asked for or not. If the answer is yes - then buy it, if not then dont.... the choice is still OURS and ONLY OURS! (the 'gun-on-the-head' bit....)

On one hand you (Tata Sky) say - hey, you cannot transfer it to anyone else - and it is locked so you cannot sell it also - [/B]

This I agree - You dont want to buy it back thats upto you, you should not prevent me from selling it/gifting it to anyone I want. But that stupid agreement comes into play. All TS subscribers sign an agreement which says the hardware including the STB and the digicard along with all receiving equipment (Dish/LNB etc) is the sole property of TS, and further that we will relinquish all of it to them any time they ask for it. So till such time that someone takes them to court on this stoopid clause (which I might be very soon!), they will think they are well within their right to do so!

Sorry friend - I am not FOR TataSky, neither am I against you. But what you raised is against principles of commerce and hence I had to point that out. Lets agree to disagree on this one.

Maybe a different choice of words , but I pretty much agree with kb10000 . Only point of argument could be that I feel thata. Since not allowed to sell/gift/whateverb. Cant be used with other operators - which was "supposed" to be mandated - not sure where we are on that nowThey are morally obliged - not mandated/required - but as an ethical practise - to atleast provide the exchange/upgrade as a service if possible - without making a loss

Back