Vodafone 3G USB Stick

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh28
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 39
  • Views Views 16,854
BSNL already cut down 3G data tariffs to Rs 700/month if u pay for 6months ! expect Aircel to offer UL 3G data plan @ Rs 500

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

airtel, reliance, vodafone announce that they will deploy HSPA+ series i.e. upto 21Mbps - but availability will be in selected cities, yet data plans will be costly!

BSNL already cut down 3G data tariffs to Rs 700/month if u pay for 6months ! expect Aircel to offer UL 3G data plan @ Rs 500

airtel, reliance, vodafone announce that they will deploy HSPA+ series i.e. upto 21Mbps - but availability will be in selected cities, yet data plans will be costly!

Forget the unlimited plan on 3G till first 1-2 yrs of operations, I can bet on it, no one is going to offer it without a fair use policy.

Secondly what i know as of now, Docomo has some serious plans to push speeds to new levels once they start kicking in.

Aircel to offer Unlimited 3G data plan @ Rs 500

you are probably dreaming. if 3G unlimited prices are so cheap, no one would take wired broadband.

keep dreaming , sometimes dreams comes true Reliance and Airtel are going with HSPA+ , is all their 3G network is HSPA+?

When Cellular services were introduced first time, it had out of the world costs....once they reduced, Fixed lines rates had to reduce - and this spiral is continuing even today leading us to almost all types of "Free" offers in Fixed lines.....

If only the same had happened in some other countries - we are still paying Rs16 per minute, often up to Rs30 per minute for a cellular call here in NZ.

It's actually cheaper for me to call an Indian cell from my NZ cell than it is for me to call an NZ cell from the same.

If only the same had happened in some other countries - we are still paying Rs16 per minute, often up to Rs30 per minute for a cellular call here in NZ.

It's actually cheaper for me to call an Indian cell from my NZ cell than it is for me to call an NZ cell from the same.

Cant help it!! As you would be more aware than me on this - Our market always grows rapidly in these kinds of areas.....actually, the population is so large, that the High Fixed costs are recovered almost instantaneously over here, as compared to other nations.
And pls dont take it as an offence - but once while watching cricket, i think Danny Morrison - the NZ cricketer himself had said - There are more sheep in NZ, then Humans!!

So, i mean to say is, that the costs recovery would take time.....:)

Cant help it!! As you would be more aware than me on this - Our market always grows rapidly in these kinds of areas.....actually, the population is so large, that the High Fixed costs are recovered almost instantaneously over here, as compared to other nations.

Well... high is relative. Obviously to support so many million customers and a large coverage area, they have to put in sufficient nodes. It's not like they can magically cover 10x as many people with the same number of towers we would use for the same coverage area. Auckland and Mumbai are similarly sized in Square Kilometers (ok it's about 500 compared to 650, but similar enough), but I would say there are only 1/20 as many towers in Auckland to cover that amount of area simply because there is 1/20th of the population.

And pls dont take it as an offence - but once while watching cricket, i think Danny Morrison - the NZ cricketer himself had said - There are more sheep in NZ, then Humans!!

So, i mean to say is, that the costs recovery would take time.....:)

There are about 47 million sheep in NZ, and around 4 million people, but NZ has had 3G services since 2004 or 2005. The average time to recover the cost on a tower (not a base station, a full-fledged tower) is between 12 and 18 months depending on the population density of the area where that tower physically is - I worked out that based on an average tower cost of US$300k, recovery costs (not including termination rates which are wildly expensive here, or land leases and things of that nature) would be something like 6,600 minutes.

I would say that the towers/base stations cost about the same in India as they do in NZ, since the networks are both built by outside companies (Alcatel Lucent or Nokia Siemens or whoever), but since minutes are cheaper in India, it's probably going to take a lot more minutes for them to recover the costs. Fortunately, I would say Indians spend way longer on the phone than Kiwis so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Of course, Vodafone told me on Twitter that my numbers are wildly wrong but then I went and had a look at Vodafone NZ's accounts (publicly available) to find that I wasn't as far off the bat as they would have me believe: they also claimed to have spent $3bn on the network when their accounts show a total value of about $1.1bn with very high amortization rates, but even with $3bn spent I could only justify the cost-per-customer of about NZ$200 per year - with the (almost minimum) ARPU of NZ$40 (Rs1320) with a grand total of 60 free minutes, this means that if everyone only spends this much, then they are still making 120% profit assuming that NO calls are made between users on their own network.

As for spectrum, Vodafone paid a whopping $27.8 million NZ dollars (about 92 crores) with a lifespan of 30 years, which comes out to less than NZ$1 million per year, and if we assume that Vodafone has 1 million customers (it claims to have 2.5 million, but I suspect this is also landline and broadband customers), so that spectrum works out to under $1 per customer per year, whereas Vodafone India paid about US$2.5billion for a customer base of about 80 million and a lifespan of about 20 years (I think), which works out to about US$1.55 per customer per year.

Anyway, back to what I was saying, recovery will take some time, but not that much. RoI in the Telecoms industry doesn't typically expect to be longer than 5 years.

Apart from the figures, what i meant was even though you need many towers to cover so many people, but ultimately its the sheer Quantum that helps Break even very quickly......the cost of the licence, towers & all may be quite high.....but then even a smallest amount of Contribution earned per customer would help in quick recovery of Fixed costs, coz the numer of users is so large!!Say total FC = Rs.100, and Contribution per customer Re.0.01......still u need just 10,000 subscribers to recover the Fixed.....in contrast, if we compare NZ scenario - Say Fixed cost is only Rs. 10, and the contribution remaining constant at Re.0.01, you still need 1000 subscribers rite??That can create issues.....so they would just do something to earn little more contribution per subscriber - say Re.0.10 per Subscriber......even for that you are directly increasing the Revenue per customer - by Re.0.09.....I meant these numbers!!

Apart from the figures, what i meant was even though you need many towers to cover so many people, but ultimately its the sheer Quantum that helps Break even very quickly......the cost of the licence, towers & all may be quite high.....but then even a smallest amount of Contribution earned per customer would help in quick recovery of Fixed costs, coz the numer of users is so large!!

Say total FC = Rs.100, and Contribution per customer Re.0.01......still u need just 10,000 subscribers to recover the Fixed.....in contrast, if we compare NZ scenario - Say Fixed cost is only Rs. 10, and the contribution remaining constant at Re.0.01, you still need 1000 subscribers rite??

That can create issues.....so they would just do something to earn little more contribution per subscriber - say Re.0.10 per Subscriber......even for that you are directly increasing the Revenue per customer - by Re.0.09.....

I meant these numbers!!

As I was saying, the fixed costs still work out to be similar per customer - the fixed costs OVERALL differ based on the number of customers.

I think your math is flawed: if I have 1,000 customers in NZ and 10,000 customers in India, then if I can serve 100 customers from one tower, I will need 10 towers in NZ and 100 towers in India. Let's say my fixed cost per tower is US$200k, then I will spend $2 million in NZ and $20 million in India. Irrespective of the volume of customers my payback time is going to be the same.

The point of this is that Vodafone NZ isn't going to build a network that supports 20 million people because there aren't even 20 million people here - they will build what is needed to cover the population.

In reality, based on pricing I get in both countries, the per customer cost of the spectrum is similar, the cost of data at a wholesale level is similar, and I would anticipate that whoever is building the networks in either country is charging about the same amount per tower since they are likely to deploy the exact same hardware. The main differences I can think of might be things like the cost of fiber runs to the tower (higher in India), real estate (higher in some parts of India), staff (lower in India), taxes (similar), mobile termination rates (significantly lower in India) and probably a few other factors I haven't included.

So far, Vodafone NZ (nor any of the other providers) have been able to justify to me why calling rates are still so high here, although based on my talks with one telco (not a mobile provider but is a landline provider), my suspicion lies with the termination rates, which are as high as NZ$0.22 per minute (Rs7.25/minute), although I can't confirm if this is the sole reason for the rates here or not. Landlines are free within the same calling area and very cheap to call anywhere in the country so, it seems silly to me that mobile rates are still so high, even after 5 years of 3G & nearly 20 years of 2G.

In fact, I just noticed that perhaps mobile termination rates in NZ seem to be stupidly high, like NIXI's silly per GB charges for peering; while mobile termination in India seems cheap and plentiful, like peering in NZ. Weird.

Carley...
No mate, my math is not flawed. My Marginal Costing concepts are very strong - i have considered this difference in Fixed costs by mentioning 'if its Rs.10 in NZ, it will be Rs.100 in India....

And even in your example.....here are the figures:

NZ: $2 Million Fixed costs in all, with 100 Customers.....
We have to assume that the "Contribution" per customer, ie, Sale Price (Here Service charge) Less Variable Cost per customer....(This is because if you want the Rates similar to India, and as you mentioned, the running or Variable costs are almost similar - so assumption is a very scirentific one)

Say we assume it at $2000 per customer both in India & in NZ....
Then your Fixed costs will be recovered only when you have ($2million/$2000 per customer) = 1000 customers.....
Compare this to the 100 customers you cover.

Now take India.....
The Fixed costs is $20 Million. So we need ($20million/$2000 per customer) = 10000 customers.....
Compare this to the 10000 you had mentioned......

So, we just break-even at that Contribution level....
This is tabulated below -

Required no. of Customers___Actual no. of customers___Shortfall
NZ__________1,000__________________100_______________900
India________10,000________________10,000______________NIL

So it is quite evident, that the cos will seek to recover this shorfall by charging atleast 10 times higher than the charges in India.....
PS: I have done a lot of R&D in these kinds of analyses, where the sheer volume is targeted, just to charge low prices from customers.

Back