Which is the best Android Phone- Budget Max 15000/-

• Thread starter Thread starter saurabh_g
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 151
  • Views Views 31,761
Nokia OVI Store is a joke. I tried using it on my the E5. I decided against it. Went to m.opera.com and downloaded the browser manually. I am not sure how many apps Nokia OVI Store has... But surely, i do not see it featured on the mobile services I use that frequently.

So, now Symbian Foundation is no longer an open source community? It is just a licensing body? What happened to your previous statement?

Look at millions of Nokia devices that are sold in the Indian market. How many of those people upgrade the software on their phones? How many have the OVI desktop app installed on their computers? i bet 95% of Nokia smartphones sold in the market are never updated. Why? coz it is painful to use the OVI store to do it. I tried doing it on my wife's phone last year. It was painful. Phone lost all the data it had (luckily i had a backup). Android upgrades are OTA.

Google Nexus One? Died? Seriously? Google discontinued it. But it is still supported. It would be the first phone apart from Nexus S to get Android 2.3. And I can get it would also get the Android 3.0 update next year. I spent 27K on it. I am going to sell it for 15K to a friend. I can probably get 20K for it on eBay if I try hard.

Samsung has their Bada platform. But they know, Android has the momentum. And they need it to keep closing in on Nokia. and they are doing a pretty good job of balancing between Bada and Android.

As for Sony... They are a freaking disappointment. Anyone who goes for a Sony goes for their brand name. As for me, I am sticking with Android for the time being. Hoping to see HP does something wonderful with webOS (which i believe is the best looking smartphone platform we have in the market today). I am going to stick with Google branded phones that come with stock android builds (thats the reason i am replacing N1 with NS). And i am waiting for the Android 3.0 tablets to arrive in the market.

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

You are correct. I do not own an Android but would love to know what are those third party apps with real world applicability that Nokia doesn't have an answer for.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Both options are available.

good to know that symbian 3 can update OTA.

as for apps, i have no idea what OVI store has. but it is pretty clear from what i see, the order of priority for app developers is : iOS > Android > Blackberry (if the app has corporate use) / WP7 > Symbian

nokia worked with foursquare for their official app for the symbian platform. that was nice.

but i use a lot of google branded apps that have not so cool and delayed versions for other platforms.

i use picplz which is a not so popular web service similar to instagram in nature. they are probably not going to release anything for symbian in the near future because iPhone and android userbase is big enough for them.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

i am not going to be like the crowd and compare the numbers. but the point remains. symbian does not excite me when it comes to its user interface. its app store. its future. nokia has already confirmed that E-Series phones would get Meego from next year. They have given enough indications that Symbian would power their low and mid range devices in the future. Meego would be their top of the line offering. things would get pretty clear next year.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

i am sort of excited about meego. if it is adopted by other companies. it could become a solid offering in the coming years. but only time will tell where google takes android and where nokia/intel takes meego.

---------- Post added at 02:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

as for a real world application... i have tried nokia's free navigation service. downloadable maps are great. but now that i have a decent mobile internet connection, i am more comfortable using google maps for navigation (version 5 was just released and is fantastic) that is likely to have more up to date maps. compared to nokia where i have to download and update maps on a regular basis. of course, if i am lost somewhere and my mobile data connection is not working... google maps navigation won't really help me out. :D

---------- Post added at 02:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:37 PM ----------

hmm. but then i suppose, google also has their maps service for symbian. and that would fetch the maps from the web. so this is sort of countered already. :D

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

as for the original question that was posted by the thread starter. here is the response from a friend who develop apps for android platform.

Twitter / Kalpik Nigam: @Sushubh LG Optimus One

my choice --- LG Optimus One P500 --- Android 2.2Best in the market and i purchased it for 11200

I'm no Nokia dealer but I am a longtime Nokia user. You want one top notch hardware Nokia, that's N8 for you, it offers more features that the next iPhone 5 and has beaten a Sony digicam in blind camera shootout on GSM arena. Then there's stuff like 5.1 channel Dolby digital plus, HDMI out, USB host mode, it will take years for Google and Apple to catch up with these features.

you do realize that all of these are technologies that can be incorporated by any decent mobile company if they want to? it's not like these are stuff that are patented by nokia. :) google is focused on software. apple has their own roadmap. it depends upon companies like sony, samsung, HTC and LG to take the decision on hardware specifications.

hardware is easy because you just need to talk to various component suppliers. software is complicated if you are developing it on your own. android makes it easy for mobile companies to focus on hardware. the sad part is that these companies do not get it. they start working on the software mostly messing it up with their own UI layer and not focusing on the hardware instead. :D

i understand that most android phones have a major problem with the software layers bundled on them. but if you stick with devices that are popular with the dev community, you can get the mods which can be faster than stock android builds for the same phone. :D

Also. countering another point of yours. :D

How many previous generation Nokia smartphones (!) are getting the Symbian^3 upgrade? Nokia is not even planning to release MeeGo for Nokia N900! Even though they were testing it on this particular device. :|

I hope android dies within an year or two. Google has not even released the source for android 2.3 yet while the development of meego happens in front of you in the public Internet. Meego is much better.

yeah it is much better when it is not even out.

Back