Why airtel XStream fiber latency is higher than JIO Fiber?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dravin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 3,523
ISP
Airtel Xstream Fiber, Jio Fiber
I am unable to understand why Airtel offer bad ping as compared to JIO Fiber. Its almost 10 years, still Airtel unable to solve the Routing issue as we are facing High latency as compared to Jio. There is no doubt that the Airtel has best after-sales service and reliability in the network but still, there is latency issue. Any Suggestion will be helpful. Thanks.

On which IP addresses are you facing the latency issue?

@Dravin Airtel is trying to milk it's existing infrastructure to it's most. It's not focusing on joining further subsea networks or adding one of it's own. Jio already has more inland Fiber network laid in the country and is in fierce capacity enhancement mode with it's proprietary IAX and IEX subsea cables.
You can see the difference in the broadband deployment topology itself. Jio uses Mesh Topology 3/2 nodes 12/24 core thick Fiber Cables in it's FAT Boxes. Airtel is mostly relying on Ring Topology 2 nodes 6 core Fiber Cables.
Airtel has lower number of gateways in it's network. Your latency to your gateway itself might range beyond 10 ms.

Last edited:
You have mentioned, "fiber latency". How did you measure it, and what is the difference? Is there any specific time when it is terrible?

@Lolita_Magnum I didnt measure Fiber Latency; I measured my Connection Latency; when became worst at peak hours, especially in the evening.

Well, since you are connecting to AWS and Steam-CDN servers, then these will have huge egress points and should not really be a problem.

What I am guessing is that the issue is local to you.
Maybe,
  • your area has too many users
  • Airtel is over-compensating with one OLT
  • OLT has degraded?

Else, the problem would have been with everyone using Airtel.

Back