Why no HDMI output

• Thread starter Thread starter sdh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 12
  • Views Views 7,707

sdh

ISP
BSNL
What is the use of a Digital STB with MPEG4 technology if the only way you can connect it to your TV is using the lowest quality analog signal (CVBS).Why Airtel and other DTH providers not giving the HDMI output as this is the best way to connect to your LCD/Plasma TV.

hmmm, considering US has just shifted to HDTV format, India will take atleast 2-5 years.also, wot u are suggesting is, is nobody's care! i mean, c'mon man, so much infra needed for HD content. and becoz most channels aren't in HD format, converting them (blah blah) will b a pain in ass for dth providers!

agreed, even if the dth providers get it done, which are the indian channels that are producing hd content. So why waste so much money when there are not enuff response from channels.

@tehelka: Small correction. The US hasn't moved to HDTV format. It's moved to Digital format (which thanks to CAS and DTH we have also almost moved). They also only have a few channels in HD, and not everyone subscribes because it costs more (not to mention not everyone there has a HDTV either).@ganesh: Exactly. It's the channels that are going to have to broadcast in HD. DTH providers and TV Manufacturers can only try and persuafe them. But until channels shift, nothing happens.My best guess is that the initial leap would have to be taken by a) Discovery/Nat Geo type channels, and b) Movie channels. Normal entertainment channels / news etc. will only go HD once most other channels are HD.

@tehelka: Small correction. The US hasn't moved to HDTV format. It's moved to Digital format (which thanks to CAS and DTH we have also almost moved). They also only have a few channels in HD, and not everyone subscribes because it costs more (not to mention not everyone there has a HDTV either).

Correction to your correction sir.

US has HDTV in mainstream. That happened 2 years back. Now they have Cable TV (Comcast & AT&T), Local Channels (CW,ABC etc) & DTH (Dish Network and Direct TV) already have mainstream HDTV packages and yes they are not few but more than 160 channels

^ There are two things here. When you use the phrased "moved to" it implies a change in the basic format. That hasn't happened. I think Tehelka was referring to the legislation by which all TV broadcasts have to be digital by the year 2011 or something like that. Digital is not = HD. For example, CAS/DTH in India is digital, but not HD.

Does the US have HD channels? Yes. But from my recent visit across several states, I noticed that it was only a minority of channels that people had on HD. Maybe that's because HD is expensive, and no-one wants to shell out so much money to have a lot of HD channels, but only their favourite couple of channels.

true, now could anyone describe the connectivity airtel stb is offering or post some screen shots please

HDMI supports SD as well as HD resolutions. My point is they receive digital signals, then convert them to analog. The LCD TV then converts these signals back to digital and then displays. All this is loss of data. If STB gives 576p output and you connect it to LCD TV via HDMI cable, the picture will be much better.The point here is the so called DIGITAL STB with only ANALOG output.

hmmm, then you would need a decent HDMI cable , and of course the apparatus price will be over Rs 5k for such a set top box!:whistle:

Back