Tata Sky+ DTH Service: HDMI Output

• Thread starter Thread starter hitman
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 37,175
Thanks a lot Mr. amohan for the wonderful & informative hi-res images of the TS+ STB, gr8 job.
Hey guys,
I am an existing subscriber of TS & would like to opt for TS+ (considering the fact that it claims to record 2 tv shows, when I am out of home or busy). Some things I would like to know before I buy it is - Have any one of you until now got a chance to get a peek inside the new Digicomp's (TS+ STB's) chassis. I mean at the hardware layout. If yes can anyone send us some nice pictures of it (showing where the 160GB HDD's located, what make is it?, is it a SATA-I or SATA-II or PATA one & with what connector interface). Is it possible to remove \ replace this HDD (for connecting it to our PC for recording transfer & RND \ or in case of damage or upgradation). Guys I am asking this coz the Digicomp is a CPE (customer premises equipment) we had payed a good price for this hardware & service so I personally think it won't be wrong if we kinda manipulate it (to our desire, of course no piracy of TV shows & movies intended but just for our personal viewing & collection at later time).
Can anyone of you guys who have got this new Tata Sky+ please be kind enough like Mr. amohan did before to post a hi-res image of both the new TS+ Remote & interiors of the STB. Anyone found the specific use of that USB port at the rear of the STB ? It would be gr8 if it streams pre-recorded files from STB to our PC but I am pretty sure TataSky won't permit us to do so easily.
Please try to respond at your earliest.

^^^
I know 1 thing for sure is that, the recorded content of HDD cannot be transferred for viewing on any other equipment or PC. Because the format in which content is stored is only meant for STB and not recognised by other devices.
About replacing HDD, again I think the formatting of HDD matters & doubt whether we can replace it.
USB port may be to view JPG/image files on TV or listen Audio/MP3 files on TV through STB by connecting pen drive or external USB HDD. (I have used this features on 1 STB abroad, but not sure if USB on TS+ STB are for same purpose). BTW no idea if it works, but USB can also be used to recharge IPOD or MP3 players

:huh: Can anyone (existing user of TS+) till me the type of Hard Disk Drive used in the TS+ STB. What form factor it has, I mean is it a normal Desktop PC type 160GB SATA HDD or a portable size, like the ones used in notebook / laptop PC. About the data format of the HDD, I wish to know if its Windows ISO / Joliet compatible like FAT32 / NTFS / UDF format. I guess if TS+ incorporates MPEG2 & MPEG4 for video transmission & reception and MP2 & AC3 for audio, the recorded programme files would be AVI files in DivX for MPEG2 or H.264 / AVC codec encoding for MPEG4 (remember ithas upto 48Hrs or recording capacity). If this is the case they could easily be transferred & viewed on our PC with appropriate software, unless ofcourse they are in digitally signed & encrypted format as per DRM (Digital Rights Management) terms of Tata(Sky.

:huh: Can anyone (existing user of TS+) till me the type of Hard Disk Drive used in the TS+ STB. What form factor it has, I mean is it a normal Desktop PC type 160GB SATA HDD or a portable size, like the ones used in notebook / laptop PC. About the data format of the HDD, I wish to know if its Windows ISO / Joliet compatible like FAT32 / NTFS / UDF format. I guess if TS+ incorporates MPEG2 & MPEG4 for video transmission & reception and MP2 & AC3 for audio, the recorded programme files would be AVI files in DivX for MPEG2 or H.264 / AVC codec encoding for MPEG4 (remember ithas upto 48Hrs or recording capacity). If this is the case they could easily be transferred & viewed on our PC with appropriate software, unless ofcourse they are in digitally signed & encrypted format as per DRM (Digital Rights Management) terms of Tata(Sky.

Check thru the threads on TS+...one was opened and split wide open in the first week of its existence all the detailed pics are posted in this forum.. ....Hard Drive is a 160gig WD 3.0gbps SATA version. you can replace it with a bigger capacity similar speed HDD but will break warranty, or you can wait for TS to upgrade that once HD starts transmission. Also though ppl have tried to break the encryption of the files all over the world but none have succeeded yet, including some in this forum...so no pc viewing....but in Australia, Foxtel(a sister company of Sky) is planning to use the usb port for Extra HDD so you can expect something in the future to plug an extra HDD to copy the files and view thru the STB only but. that to only married to your particular STB and Viewing card...the ncryption is very precise

Last edited by a moderator:
New TS+ is just great I am having it. Video & Audio is great :) Earlier I had TS and Video quality is much better in TS+ as far as sound quality and volume is concern I am getting much better and high Volume in TS+ With TS I was using 15-20 TV Volume but now it hardly goes beyond 10 even I have to come down to 2-3 at night. Recording quality is Great :) and easy even my 7 year kid uses this feature without any problem. But yes I am missing HDMI too.I am facing other problems in TS+ (I wonder if anyone else facing the same) 1) While watching some channels like Sony or Sub through Fav (20 channels selection) it comes out of Fav sequence and I have to press Fav button again.2) It takes long time to switchover channels and even 10-20 Sec for all channels having Active services.3) HDD sound can be heard at night even if the STB if off (using remote).4) Channel program listing gone wrong for most of the channels. Like in Sony if it shows Comedy Circus then actual program is something else.

I am facing other problems in TS+ (I wonder if anyone else facing the same)

1) While watching some channels like Sony or Sub through Fav (20 channels selection) it comes out of Fav sequence and I have to press Fav button again.

I faced this problem almost from day 1. I was advised to cancel the favourite list and reprogram the favourites. This solved the problem.

1) While watching some channels like Sony or Sub through Fav (20 channels selection) it comes out of Fav sequence and I have to press Fav button again.
2) It takes long time to switchover channels and even 10-20 Sec for all channels having Active services.
3) HDD sound can be heard at night even if the STB if off (using remote).
4) Channel program listing gone wrong for most of the channels. Like in Sony if it shows Comedy Circus then actual program is something else.
1. Looks like some software defect
2. After new channel is selected, the channel data is passed through HDD for buffering, hence channel change in PVR STB's is slight more then normal STB. But 10-20 sec is still too much
3. At night during quiet environment HDD sound could be heard compared to noisy day. If you turn off STB by Remote, then STB just goes to standby and many processes (including PVR) are working. Hence HDD is also ON and sound could be heard. If you haven't scheduled or not intending to record anything at night, its better to swicth OFF STB by MAINS (it would also save electric bill :) )
4. Tata Sky should have verified EPG info from broadcaster before broadcasting to users, as it is important in PVR

1. Looks like some software defect
2. After new channel is selected, the channel data is passed through HDD for buffering, hence channel change in PVR STB's is slight more then normal STB. But 10-20 sec is still too much
3. At night during quiet environment HDD sound could be heard compared to noisy day. If you turn off STB by Remote, then STB just goes to standby and many processes (including PVR) are working. Hence HDD is also ON and sound could be heard. If you haven't scheduled or not intending to record anything at night, its better to swicth OFF STB by MAINS (it would also save electric bill :) )
4. Tata Sky should have verified EPG info from broadcaster before broadcasting to users, as it is important in PVR

STB progrm must ensure that hard disc is switched off in standby mode; if record function is programmed the disc can be started with a warm up period. Or as in pcs/laptops hibernation can be provided. Mains off is ideal no doubt, but if late night programs are to be recorded, the STB must be in standby (and TV mains off). Fortunately, if the STB is in standby mode, even after power failure, it gets back into standby mode and records the program. (of course there must be power when the program is aired).
I will send a suggestion mail to TS to switch off the disc in standby mode!

STB progrm must ensure that hard disc is switched off in standby mode; if record function is programmed the disc can be started with a warm up period. Or as in pcs/laptops hibernation can be provided. Mains off is ideal no doubt, but if late night programs are to be recorded, the STB must be in standby (and TV mains off). Fortunately, if the STB is in standby mode, even after power failure, it gets back into standby mode and records the program. (of course there must be power when the program is aired).
I will send a suggestion mail to TS to switch off the disc in standby mode!
You are right, but as currently TS+ STB may not function like that, so I suggested to turn off by MAINS to avoid HDD power usage & noise.
STB on which I am working in UK does exactly as you said :happy: (Though earlier it behaved like TS+ STB)

You are right, but as currently TS+ STB may not function like that, so I suggested to turn off by MAINS to avoid HDD power usage & noise.
STB on which I am working in UK does exactly as you said :happy: (Though earlier it behaved like TS+ STB)

Yes, you are right. I do switch off the STB during nights and even in day time when there is nothing to watch. But during switching on, patience is really stretched as it takes a considerable time - to switch on, to get the favourites and the EPG loaded.

In the standard stb, power consumption was 18w (one tuner) in standby and 20w while working. In the PVR stb, the values are 28 watts during standby (for two tuners) and 56 watts for normal operation. Hence I thought that the discs were switched off during standby. If my logic is correct, the disc must be off in standby mode.

Back