Windows Phone 8 Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 142
  • Views Views 23,586
^Thats what I meant - both Maemo & Meego were unfinished jobs. A more honest attempt to see them through may have helped. Atleast Samsung gave Bada a bigger run.

well bada is/was samsung's backup plan in case google went rogue for them. for Nokia, meego was plan a. in fact, it was plan a, b, c, d, e... idiots went for the plan f.

well bada is/was samsung's backup plan in case google went rogue for them. for Nokia, meego was plan a. in fact, it was plan a, b, c, d, e... idiots went for the plan f.
because that's what was ready for end consumer, meego wasn't ready for end/dumb users

you cant expect Nokia to keep developing meego/maemo for another 2-3 years, before they launch their new line of devices ? and loose their market share

i am glad they didn't go android

Nokia N9:Released (29, September 2011)Nokia Lumia 800:Nokia Lumia 800 (codenamed 'Sea Ray') is a Windows Phone 7-OS powered smartphone, first unveiled on 26 October 2011 at the Nokia World 2011 event.1. Nokia launched N9 before they launched Lumia 800. 2. They had worked on Meego for several years while they only worked on WP devices for around a year to bring the first smartphone. 3. If they had stayed focused on Meego without diverting all their attention to WP, N9 could have launched faster. And more devices would have been out powered by it today. 4. Nokia would not have to wait for Tango to launch budget segment devices because Meego would have worked on less powerful hardware. 5. All current models of Lumia series would not get Windows Phone 8. Everyone buying a Nokia Lumia smartphone today is looking at a device with no future. Which company is stupid enough to reveal a fact like this while they are struggling to compete against the competition? 6. Symbian development community would have switched to Meego considering it was an open platform on the same lines as Symbian. Windows Phone is a totally different ballgame being as locked as iOS. You really have no clue about what you are talking about. MeeGo was ready for launch before Nokia could launch their Windows Phone devices. They killed a perfectly fine mobile platform just because their CEO was on the payroll of Microsoft.Nokia has lost enough market share with the stupidity that we have seen in the last two years. There are tons of people who wanted to buy a N9 but Nokia did not even bother to launch it here.as for meego not ready for dumb users... i can safely say meego user interface is simpler to understand than windows phone. check out the videos of meego to see what i am saying.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFqK5JfiDJs&feature=plcpthere are just three screens to manage. one has the app shortcuts. second is for the app itself. third is the multi-tasking view. i do not see how that is harder than windows phone from any angle. this UI is probably the simplest one out there in the market even today.

I would agree with most of the above, except that with Windows, a lot of the work would have been done by Microsoft as compared to Meego, which would have required lot more from Nokia itself. So to compare the timelines, is a bit unfair.

1. Nokia launched N9 before they launched Lumia 800.
As i said, MeeGo was not ready; nor is it ready atm; there are not much app developers (compare it to windows phone) for it & had almost no apps when it 800 launched.
2. They had worked on Meego for several years while they only worked on WP devices for around a year to bring the first smartphone.
they worked for serveral years on maemo and not meego ! if they had stayed with maemo 6 they had some chance, but they went with intel and messed it entirely
3. If they had stayed focused on Meego without diverting all their attention to WP, N9 could have launched faster. And more devices would have been out powered by it today.
diverting attention ? you mean it takes a couple of engineers to design/launch ?
as i said it wasnt ready and nokia doesnt release tons of devices without a proper OS, go and look at maemo
4. Nokia would not have to wait for Tango to launch budget segment devices because Meego would have worked on less powerful hardware.
and u think meego would have worked at 256mb ? lol , you think there is 100$ difference between 512 and 256mb ram ?
5. All current models of Lumia series would not get Windows Phone 8. Everyone buying a Nokia Lumia smartphone today is looking at a device with no future. Which company is stupid enough to reveal a fact like this while they are struggling to compete against the competition?
Nokia didnt reveal ! microsoft did, atleast it doesnt lie like android manufacturers about updates and never deliver or deliver after the hardware is obselete
nor its like Apple, which keeps os version same but disables features which wont work on old gen; the same is done by windows but they are not lieing
also they havent revealed everything will be backported to 7.8, there are much more things to come
6. Symbian development community would have switched to Meego considering it was an open platform on the same lines as Symbian. Windows Phone is a totally different ballgame being as locked as iOS.
Symbian development community lol, where did they take Symbian ?
again, meego will take another 2-3 years to be production ready
You really have no clue about what you are talking about. MeeGo was ready for launch before Nokia could launch their Windows Phone devices. They killed a perfectly fine mobile platform just because their CEO was on the payroll of Microsoft.
Ya, your the admin here; you know everything, we are just dumb users !
Ready doesnt mean ready for end users ! its not killed it got a pr1.3 update a couple of days back; they never told they are killing meego.

you can live in your own bubble and keep thinking nokia/microsoft are evil, but both did what they could

As i said, MeeGo was not ready; nor is it ready atm; there are not much app developers (compare it to windows phone) for it & had almost no apps when it 800 launched.

Windows Phone had zero apps when it was launched. You cannot create an app store without launching the platform first. And to get the developers interested, you need to have a solid platform with a sizable userbase. You do not get it with a brand new platform. Nokia picked Windows Phone as an excuse to get around this limitation and we can all see how successful it has turned out for them.

they worked for serveral years on maemo and not meego ! if they had stayed with maemo 6 they had some chance, but they went with intel and messed it entirely

From what I see, MeeGo on N9 looked fantastic. And they ditched Intel by moving to Windows Phone. It messed up the whole ecosystem. And Intel had to switch their loyalties to Google Android. Messing the whole situation for both Nokia AND Intel.

diverting attention ? you mean it takes a couple of engineers to design/launch ?
as i said it wasnt ready and nokia doesnt release tons of devices without a proper OS, go and look at maemo

You think Nokia just has a couple of engineers working on Windows Phone platform just because Microsoft developers the software? Really? Have you noticed how many specialized apps Nokia has to develop THEMSELVES for Windows Phone? And they literally gave one of the most important one Nokia Maps with Navigation to Microsoft. They lost the exclusivity to their own Maps. They paid around 9 billion for Navteq. Microsoft got all that and more for just USD 1 billion.

and u think meego would have worked at 256mb ? lol , you think there is 100$ difference between 512 and 256mb ram ?

Windows Phone has limited options for Nokia. MeeGo was totally under their control and I can safely say they would have been launching many more models compared to what they have done with Lumia running Windows Phone. They have probably launched more Symbian based devices in the past year than WP based devices.

Nokia didnt reveal ! microsoft did, atleast it doesnt lie like android manufacturers about updates and never deliver or deliver after the hardware is obselete
nor its like Apple, which keeps os version same but disables features which wont work on old gen; the same is done by windows but they are not lieing
also they havent revealed everything will be backported to 7.8, there are much more things to come

Exactly my point. Nokia is getting nothing from Microsoft. 250 million dollars per quarter? Microsoft is squeezing everything out of Nokia. Microsoft butt****ed Nokia by announcing that Windows Phone 7.x devices would not get updated to Windows Phone 8. They needed to make Windows Phone 8 look good. Windows Phone 7 is just an experiment for them and Nokia is a guinea pig.

Symbian development community lol, where did they take Symbian ?
again, meego will take another 2-3 years to be production ready

From what I have heard and Agantuk would confirm this fact, Symbian still is the most capable mobile platform out there. Apple iOS and Windows Phone have nothing on Symbian. Android is somewhere close with the kind of apps that are available on Symbian. I have never owned a Symbian device so I am not in a position to say much but almost all the interesting apps that we see on current generation platforms have been available for Symbian for a long time now.

Ya, your the admin here; you know everything, we are just dumb users !
Ready doesnt mean ready for end users ! its not killed it got a pr1.3 update a couple of days back; they never told they are killing meego.
you can live in your own bubble and keep thinking nokia/microsoft are evil, but both did what they could

really? You are going to play this card on me? Do I behave even like an admin on the forum? If you want to argue, argue. I would stop responding when I have nothing to add to the argument. I do not use my admin privileges when I am losing in a discussion.

I am not living in a bubble. I am living in a world where Android is kicking ass. And competitors are responding with lawsuits and not innovating products. Windows Phone is a locked platform which restricts what you can do with the phone that you paid for. In a way, it is much worse than what Windows Mobile was which was at least a much open platform not locked to a single source for software installations. Nokia today is worth less than USD 10 billion. This is less than what Google paid for Motorola Mobility. Nokia is probably worth less on paper than what their patents can fetch in an open market today.

as for the pr1.3 update. nokia claims 1000 enhancements. but talks about literally nothing. it is more of a bug fix update than a feature update. bug fixes are not enhancements. i am yet to see any blog post highlighting any major new features in the latest meego update. also, in case you have not read, the development team working on meego at nokia has left the company. just hours after pr1.3 was released.

Windows Phone Update History | Windows Phone OS Versions | Windows Phone 7
We think even great software can always get better. That's why we periodically release Windows Phone software updates to add new features you've asked for and to maximize your phone's performance.

Below is a summary of what we've included in each update so far. The update number refers to the Windows Phone operating system (OS) version. The updates are listed in reverse chronological order (the most recent is listed first).

Because updates are cumulative, when you install the latest update, you'll also get all the previous updates if your phone doesn't have them already. Only updates that apply to your phone will be downloaded and installed.

When it's available, we'll also pass along software from phone manufacturers that improves the performance of specific phone models. If you have questions about what's included in a phone manufacturer update, contact your phone manufacturer.

To learn how to install updates, check if there's an update available for you to download, and determine which version of Windows Phone you have now, see Phone updates FAQ.
Update 7.10.8773.98

Messaging. Adds new messaging capabilities to your phone. You can now attach multiple pictures, videos, audio notes, and ringtones to text messages.

Other quality improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

This update is not available in all markets or for all phones.

I got this upgrade after forcing upgrade for my Omnia W, as it was not showing upgrade available by default on Zune application.

Back