3g mobile or data card - which one is better?

Shinjan Saha

I am presently using vodafone 3g in my Nokia phone. I use the phone as modem in my laptop to use skype frequently.Whenever I use skype, my phone gets heated up very much. So I called up nokia care and they said it is normal with 3g and it will not affect the phone.But I think it also affects the phone's longevity and battery life also.Could you please give me suggestion if it would be better to buy a 3g dongle instead of using the phone as modem?

If the mobile u using is an expensive one then go for a 3g dongle for sure.

righto. mobile devices tend to go hot when used as modems. and that would shorten their life. so it is safer to go for a dongle.

Depends on how frequently you use your 3g net. I only use that as a backup, so occassional heating doesnt matter. but if you plan to use that as your primary connection then better buy a dongle

Thank you all for your valuable suggestion.Yes I use my phone as the primary connection. So I will buy a dongle going by your suggestion.I am thinking of buying Huawei E353 3g modem which gives speed upto 21.6 mbps.What do you people think?

dongles also have high power to capture signals ( i am putting in very simple words) compared to mobile phones.

i am talking of signal strengths ...Like a sim with a mobile will give you 2 signal bars...but same sim with same location with dongle can give you 4 signal bars.

I know I will not get that much speed. But I will have the provision...Do you think I should go with a dongle with 14.4 mbps speed?

go with one which supports ussd codes so that u can check balance when req.

Back