Airtel BB Down for the last 5 days.

Thanks for the clarification. Anyways, let me see if they do offer an alternative. I am happy to stick with this Nokia.

Also, I am not sure if their current OLTs are Chinese given the squeeze on telecom imports, especially core network equipment. Must ask the next time I speak to a technician...they may call me about the upgraded speed.

@Chip please update us when you have that 1 Gig working. I want some speedtests from you with specific servers. I hope you'll share them 😅

@nishantt6969 I agree with you on the performance of Nokia ONUs but it is your misconception that Nokia ONUs work better with their OLTs because almost all Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent OLTs have a feature called multi-vendor ONU connect that ensures interoperability and there's no difference in service quality.

Almost all OLTs can work with different ONUs. I use Huawei ONU with Netlink OLT. The only edge case I've heard is with Alphion ONUs, they only work with their OLTs.

Having same OLT network helps a lot. For example the major fiber ISP in nepal uses Nokia backend network with nokia switches. Also they use nokia OLTs, Nokia ONU's, Nokia Mesh routers etc. They recently announced that they'll start implementing 10G (XGS PON) to their customer side from next week. By which they'll provide higher than 1 Gig plans in the coming days. Man I mean till last year their max plan was 100 Mbps now they're talking about 2 Gig & above symmetrical. Also the company announced they'll be testing 25G PON also to further upgrade the network. Now I want to shift there 😁.

@Lolita_Magnum why can't ISP's like Excitel don't use XGPON (10G). Does Airtel, Jio use XGPON to the customer side? Also how it's possible for Nepal ISP's to just ramp up from max 100 Mbps to now 1 Gbps (In few months) & even higher speeds than 1 Gig in the coming days? I'm jealous from my friends living there 🥵.

@havoc lets drop the plan of going mumbai, we go nepal instead, btw Im planning a trip to nepal for a long time but covid failed everytime.
@WieldyBinkie Its about ecosystem. If every equipment is of same company, it will ultimately offer you much more performance. My point was not about compatibility of ONTs, it was about performance.

@havoc yeah bro sure but remember that I am prepared to be disappointed like I was the last time around around Aug/Sept '21. :) So I don't have very high expectations. Let's see since Airtel is crowing about supporting 1 gig in my residential area. As for Nepal...way to go. If 25 G was introduced here Airtel and others price it at 50K a month or something. :rolleyes: Typical Indian providers can't get their story straight and keep aiming for the stars...e.g. 4G & 5G.

I digress but let me tell you I would not get over 20 Mbps at this time last year from Jio at my home and now it's >60 inside the house and sometimes even 80 when I step outside. Good work there but more to be done IMO. I think they'll throttle 4G and offer 5G as the new premium service with high charges naturally. $$ matters after all.

Also how it's possible for Nepal ISP's to just ramp up from max 100 Mbps to now 1 Gbps (In few months) & even higher speeds than 1 Gig in the coming days? I'm jealous from my friends living there 🥵.

The priorities of that country and its people are apparently different from our country and our people. Regurgitating bile on social media platforms/ watching boiling videos on cheap mobile phones does not require even 5 Mbps.

1. The biggest reason for not choosing XGPON is probably cost, while it's true XGPON and GPON can co-exist there is an added burden of maintenance and line quality at times when a lot of customer end equipment is ancient. New technologies in the commercial or even corporate sector for the matter take a very long time to introduce new things GPON is 2003 while XGPON is 2010.
  2. The second biggest reason why Nepal is having such connectivity is due to its broadband penetration, we don't even have half of that.
  3. For a very long time before Jio came, telecoms just learned to co-exist with each other (kind of like American ISPs) and jacked off all over the customers. Telecom competition ie, real healthy competition, not the literal mayhem BS Jio has been doing has allowed Nepal to have better infrastructure across its country in a short period of time.
  4. Jio's main concern initially with their infra was wireless broadband, and ever since then it has been very obvious they have treated Broadband as its adopted child.
  5. But again, you need to understand that Nepal in contrast to India is a very small country and so is its population. Just a few years ago, airtel used to skimp on data on broadband so much and so did other players.
  6. A very huge population in India is illiterate when it comes to the latest technology or even the internet, while it has changed now up to a good extent it still needs a very long time to stabilize in a way where people can make a sound decisions.
  7. Most Indians are very happy with their 30Mbps Jio and will be ready to wait forever for 300GB VOD to download than pay more.
  8. Lastly, just because some is providing Gigabit internet does not necessarily mean, you will get Gigabit around the world, at best it will probably be to their nearest NODE. Since Nepal does not have any direct access to the Sea, they don't have any direct connection and most ISP there borrow from Indian ISPs, most notably Airtel and Tata.
  9. The ISPs you are mentioning in your post peers heavily with airtel and most only accept a minimum of 12 months contract with them and have obscure T&C with concerns to FUP.

I digress but let me tell you I would not get over 20 Mbps at this time last year from Jio at my home and now it's >60 inside the house and sometimes even 80 when I step outside.

I saw those speeds last year, indoors. Both Jio and Airtel did 80 on my iPhone, without CA enabled at the time. That performance only lasted a few weeks for me. Now, I get about 5-15 from either Jio or Airtel. Do not know what exactly happened.

Back