BSNL 3G: Suggest Me... Huawei K4505 (or) Huawei UMG1831?

• Thread starter Thread starter vmsanandh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 193
  • Views Views 67,738
ok i have a question a bit out of topic.... i ordered a UMG1831 on eBay... yet to get it..... my question is .... i have a Dual Core machine running Asus P5GC/MX 1333 motherboard..... i have a cabinet which has two front USB ports... and 3/4 more USB ports at the rear .. what i want to know is that is my Front USB ports 2.0 compliant.... coz 1831 requires 2.0... all my flash drives Digicam and even my Nokia 5233 gets connected via that front port... but still wanna confirm as i think attaching data card in the rear ports wud result in weak signal coz my PC is against a wall....

Do you have motherboard diagram? If yes, see if the front bus is 2.0 compliant.

If not, Open Device Manager, under USB Controllers you should see one of the entries say Enhanced Host Controller if you have USB 2.0.

ok i have a question a bit out of topic.... i ordered a UMG1831 on eBay... yet to get it.....

my question is .... i have a Dual Core machine running Asus P5GC/MX 1333 motherboard..... i have a cabinet which has two front USB ports... and 3/4 more USB ports at the rear .. what i want to know is that is my Front USB ports 2.0 compliant.... coz 1831 requires 2.0... all my flash drives Digicam and even my Nokia 5233 gets connected via that front port... but still wanna confirm as i think attaching data card in the rear ports wud result in weak signal coz my PC is against a wall....

Since you are having Dual core ( not very old ) system, mostly all your ports will be 2.0.

The front ports are connected to the Motherboard through wires which may sometimes pick up noises. The rear ports are directly soldered on the Motherboard itself.

For data cards always advisable to use rear port, to avoid the doubt but with a Ferrite filtered USB cable. It enables the data card, to place at a convenient place and more importantly orientation may be adjusted towards tower, to get better signal strength. These are not possible, if you connect the card directly to the port.

So the question of against the wall solved.

Do you have motherboard diagram? If yes, see if the front bus is 2.0 compliant.

If not, Open Device Manager, under USB Controllers you should see one of the entries say Enhanced Host Controller if you have USB 2.0.

http://www.grinshare.com/

Thats the SS of my Device manager.... Enhanced is there.. but for the rear or front cant say.....

Since you are having Dual core ( not very old ) system, mostly all your ports will be 2.0.

The front ports are connected to the Motherboard through wires which may sometimes pick up noises. The rear ports are directly soldered on the Motherboard itself.

For data cards always advisable to use rear port, to avoid the doubt but with a Ferrite filtered USB cable. It enables the data card, to place at a convenient place and more importantly orientation may be adjusted towards tower, to get better signal strength. These are not possible, if you connect the card directly to the port.

So the question of against the wall solved.

i am also thinking of getting USB extension cable in case i dont get good speed... btw any idea how much one can cost... i saw some at ebay costing arnd 120 bucks.. are they good enough??

by the way another query was that i am currently on Dataone 750 UL ... and i had paid advance rental.. so its upto june.... so any process by which i can combine the speeds of the Datacard and the Dataone connection without using any Hub/Router...?? is it possible by any S/W may be....

UMG1831 is bit bulkier... so is K4505... I don't know if somebody would've tested top speeds 21 Mbps in India..buy from a place where you have replacement guarantee. I got a faulty piece and got it replaced...

i am also thinking of getting USB extension cable in case i dont get good speed... btw any idea how much one can cost... i saw some at ebay costing arnd 120 bucks.. are they good enough??

Don't buy extension cables (whitish, translucent) that are made in China. It'll not work. I wasted money buying it. Go for a branded one.

by the way another query was that i am currently on Dataone 750 UL ... and i had paid advance rental.. so its upto june.... so any process by which i can combine the speeds of the Datacard and the Dataone connection without using any Hub/Router...?? is it possible by any S/W may be....

You can use the two connections together (by a load-balancing software) but cannot combine it. That means if you get 2Mbps in dataone and 3Mbps in 3G, you cannot make it a single 5Mbps connection, as both will have different IP address and different routing.

I am using this kind of cable for the past 11 months for EVDO and 3G data cards, without any problem.

Here in Chennai it costs 70 ~ 90.

I am using this kind of cable for the past 11 months for EVDO and 3G data cards, without any problem.

I purchased the same thing for 150 bucks.....tried to use with my umg 1831 ...but it all went for a waste..... tried many times to connect .... but sad .... didnt work :( :cry:

hey thanks a lot for the pic ramli7.... my concept is now much more clear.... will get one from Chandni Chowk (IT paradise of kolkata) :) ... these online sellers are daylight robbers.... asking for 400 bucks for ferrite filter cable...

I had bought the same cable. Bought 3 cables, none worked on any of my 3G cards. Though Windows detected something, it said "Device Unrecognized". The same for my pen drives. Later, I removed the filter, connected the internal wires properly and somehow made it to work.

hey thanks a lot for the pic ramli7.... my concept is now much more clear.... will get one from Chandni Chowk (IT paradise of kolkata) :) ... these online sellers are daylight robbers.... asking for 400 bucks for ferrite filter cable...
once you have bought it, pls update here if it works properly. thanks.

Back