Excitel Fiber Announced!

It's a matter of uptime vs latency, Tata offers higher uptime whereas Airtel offers lower latencies. I've seen more outages on Airtel than Tata. But nowadays I'm seeing better latency on Tata for some locations.

If you are getting 25mbps to US, Europe and no packet loss it is ok. Even ACT and such is worse sometimes in speeds. I think Tata backend has more such problems versus Airtel
I don't know why but packet loss has never been a problem for me (lucky me I guess ;)). Even I don't mind 20+ megs cause I don't use international servers that much but won't mind extra speed (if feasible of course).

Having Power backup at 1 Central Location is feasible and all LCOs usually are having it, but when not using FTTH technology, you need to have power backup not only at central location but throughout your entire network (in at least few locations along the way) and this is usually difficult to achieve in the environment in which LCO operates... messy and unstructured areas.

FTTH guarantees that power and weather related issues will be minimal, or close to zero.

I suggest to give it a try on Excitel Fiber when it becomes available in your area.
How can I know if my area is having the Excitel Fiber now?

How can I know I won't face Power Backup issue?

Work on proper map of Excitel Fiber coverage is already in progress, but will take time to make it right. Maybe by end of Jan we can have it publicly available.

The roll-out is happening every day and we are adding more and more localities, but still it's much slower than desired :)

@philip marlowe Can you tell me.

1. Excitel Fiber will be of What kind of NAT?

2. If I send you the locality name? will you be able to tell me when is Excitel Fiber (1gbps) is going to be available?

3. If I install the Excitel Fiber Wire Now (which LCO provides for 3,500 Rs + Plan Price with 100Mbps max right now). That will be the same setup for the Excitel Fiber (1gbps) or there will be something different?

I don't want to face multiple expensive of installation.

4. Do you still have Packet Loss Issue with Excitel? (@Sushubh @Aakash Malhotra are also facing Packet Loss issue)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having Power backup at 1 Central Location is feasible and all LCOs usually are having it, but when not using FTTH technology, you need to have power backup not only at central location but throughout your entire network (in at least few locations along the way) and this is usually difficult to achieve in the environment in which LCO operates... messy and unstructured areas.

FTTH guarantees that power and weather related issues will be minimal, or close to zero.

I suggest to give it a try on Excitel Fiber when it becomes available in your area.

What is the meaning of Weather Related issues?

The heavy weather in India is creating lots of troubles for any wired and on the ground infrastructure. Thunders are damaging active equipment on the streets, water is flooding boxes with active equipment and again damaging it. While raining it's more difficult to repair any such damage. The heavy temperatures are also causing active devices to hang, or even burn

With FTTH all the infra on the streets is passive - no active equipment to be damaged and therefore less chance of interruptions due to rain/thunders/heat.

Back