Google Nexus S Updates

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 206
  • Views Views 38,679
What is Paul's r2 rom? who is paul?

must be some custom mod developer?

i have no idea. :) google it.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

the link posted above highlights a comment from a visitor on that video. youtube makes it too hard to locate that highlighted comment for some weird reason!

battery life is similar to what i got from the N1. works fine if data is disabled. goes down rapidly if data is on with sync on. have not traveled around much to see how good the offline maps are. but then it is not a feature of the phone (or android 2.3) it is a feature of google maps 5!touchscreen works great. but then i do not have the zagg on it yet. i used my N1 with zagg except for the initial week or so. so this is expected. but it is pretty cool. still won't say it's as smooth as the touch on my wife's ipod touch. it's getting pretty close. definitely. camera is 5mp. pretty much the same quality as the one i had in N1. not much change there. but photos look nice because of the slightly bigger display. so sort of a placebo effect. and then no zagg again!

Nokia Maps offer very accurate driving directions. I used it in my Nokia 5800. I am finding difficulty in searching a place in google maps. Some places are not displayed.Also i feel touch sensitivity is reduced in 2.2 compared to 2.1 Even other Galaxy S users have reported. In your case too, most of the battery power is eaten by big screen and then if you are surfing on Wifi then :icry:I have used scratchgard on my earlier phones and i am satisfied with it. Heard Zagg from you and searched on ebay. It costs some 1.4K to cover display. Is touch sensitivity reduce once screen protector is installed?Do you think scratchgard is ok compared to zagg? I can buy 4 sguards for 1 zagg :happy:

Nokia has offline maps. and i am not sure if you have used them outside the city areas into villages and mmm jungles. :Pi used google maps on my way to sariska and it was hellishly accurate. i could predict the patli galli i had to take based on the map on the phone. :Dbut then, that's my opnion. zagg does reduces the sensitivity of the display. it also ruins all the fun with a high quality display. but without it, i am pretty much avoiding using the phone while i am out with dirty hands :| and that is not something i can do for a long time. it fell down in the car today. it was sort of frightening to clean the dust from the screen using my tee-shirt :| with zaggs i could use even a harsh cloth and there would be no worries. about scratchguard. i cannot really say. from what i have heard/read, most if not all of these companies buy the sheets from 3M. so technically they are practically the same thing. i used zaggs on my N1 because they shipped to india. i would probably order through them once again paying a pretty solid premium.

Thx for a quick reply. I have not tested Nokia maps in villages.Does Nexus S come with Gorilla glass? Samsung Galaxy s comes with it and i read its very strong and scratch resistant. Well i have not tested how strong it is.

i cannot find any information about that. google tech spec page does not say it. wikipedia page does not say it.

of course, even if it has the gorilla glass, i would not be conducting any tests on it :(

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

google maps navigation is not available in india.

you do get directions but no voice support. that is sort of annoying.

i tried using waze on my N1. very cool app. but it caused excessive heating on the device. so could not use it for long periods. it uses a crowdsourced map so it's not as detailed as google maps.

there are some other apps that are supposed to provide voice navigation probably using google maps. have not tried any other...

google maps of course are likely to be more up to date with more information about businesses as they are fetched from places database. Nokia does not have that advantage i would believe. and on a nokia, you would have to download updated maps on a regular interval using their crappy OVI software. i have used it once when i installed the freshly launched free map app on my wife's nokia. it was a frustrating experience. i am not sure how frequently nokia update their maps that are provided through OVI.

if you want to buy a stock android device and want faster official updates and do not care about warranty... GNS is a decent choice :D things would change drastically in the next month or so. CES and MWC would see launch of tons of new models with much better hardware specifications. google nexus s is going to be a generation (or 2) old within weeks! so that is another point to be taken into consideration.

Back