Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,768
Status
Not open for further replies.
umm.. speed here reflects the quantity of data flowing into ur computer per second..i know its like comparing oranges to apples but you can visualize it in the form of water being fed into your house by a pipe..when your speed increases the size/width of the pipe increases bringing in more water per second but the speed at which water was flowing remains constant..similarly there is certain time that data packets need to travel over the network..even in best case scenario without any congestion, there is a certain inherent latency of each network which cant be beaten irrespective of the speed of the connection.

latency would vary with type pf network..for eg dial up versus fiber..fiber would be better..but when u already have a fiber connection and opt a faster speed on the same network, ur latency would not necessarily improve..

yes ok..i didn't expect the ping to disappear completely,but just have a noticable improvement over the existing lag i experience..expecting the ping to be less than 150 seems unrealistic now..i'l request a few of the people to post their speed test results from serversin the us when connections start getting enabled..lets see

ok, but i'm thinking if i get 0.8mbps from my 2mbps connection,i should get much higher speed with 20mbps! that could reduce the lag..and i did the math,
speed of light=3*10^8m/s
distance=10000miles(say) =16100km=16100000m
so time @ speed of light =16100000(m)/300000000(m/s) =53ms ....what am i missing here??

Lots. It just doesn't happen like that because we're not simply talking about putting a cable from one computer to another and that's the end of it.

Oh, and I almost forgot: the ping is a ROUND TRIP, so you need to double 53ms. As such ~106ms is absolutely minimum for that distance.

has anyone got their connection working?? coz i'm dying to see the speedtest and pingtest results!!

No, but I will let everyone know when we're at the installation site so that you can expect a video or two and some speedtest results. I'm waiting for word from the installation team.

yes,when i am told that ping cannot improve because of the 'physics' of it. Moreover the distance covered underseas IS a somewhat straight path with min interuptions in between,since i picked a server on the coastline. And filters are put between the distance to maintain and improve the quality of the signal upon degradation

Straight-ish.

^ its not fiber through and through. After the point of termination at the landing sites its mostly copper etc in which case its more about electrical signals and the concept of resistance comes in. U can't calculate that too at the speed of light. Also there is QoS and congestion along the route.

These days there is very little copper involved anywhere in core networks, it's all silicon. But the routers have to figure stuff out, it's not just blindly forwarding packets.

you can get such speeds/pings no doubt..not a big deal. You just have to invest a little bit on an under sea cable like what the stock brokers did on us-europe route.

Even then they only shaved off something like 6ms.

yes ok..i didn't expect the ping to disappear completely,but just have a noticable improvement over the existing lag i experience..expecting the ping to be less than 150 seems unrealistic now..i'l request a few of the people to post their speed test results from serversin the us when connections start getting enabled..lets see

They will.

ok, but i'm thinking if i get 0.8mbps from my 2mbps connection,i should get much higher speed with 20mbps! that could reduce the lag..and i did the math,
speed of light=3*10^8m/s
distance=10000miles(say) =16100km=16100000m
so time @ speed of light =16100000(m)/300000000(m/s) =53ms ....what am i missing here??

Hi vitueso, ping time is for total round path, means you should add the return distance also(Totally over 28,000KM which means ping is around 97ms) and the routers present in the exchange and in the path will also induce some lag, so at the best you can get around 180ms lag to USA.

Sir mgcarley,

wen r we getting this service to start in delhi - south delhi.......???

Twitter

@mgcarley : Can you please confirm about availability in Wadala East ( bhakti park, next to IMAX Cinema ) I am desperate to shift to a better ISP. My order numbers are : 49, 52 ( Ordered both copper and Fibre and willing to settle for whatever is available ) I have to renew my existing connection on 5th Nov, so please let me know before that if possible. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back