Hayai Broadband Launch Today (October 26 2011)

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1,199
  • Views Views 189,770
Status
Not open for further replies.
60 hours a month or 2 hours a day downtime is ridiculous at any speed. Who is your current ISP that you set such low standards?
BSNL. I have lived with 10-15 days continuous downtime a month sometimes. 2 hours/day downtime was once standard in my area. I had a cheap connection with another ISP as a backup which I used whenever BSNL went down. Now I use EDGE and/or 3G as a backup/secondary connection. I still get random frequent disconnections with my NIB-1 connection.

That was with NIB-1 though, NIB-2 connections in my area have better uptime.

BSNL. I have lived with 10-15 days continuous downtime a month sometimes. 2 hours/day downtime was once standard in my area. I had a cheap connection with another ISP as a backup which I used whenever BSNL went down. Now I use EDGE and/or 3G as a backup/secondary connection. I still get random frequent disconnections with my NIB-1 connection.

That was with NIB-1 though, NIB-2 connections in my area have better uptime.

Please....please...dont set such expectations.... elepton may have his reasons for such low expectations.....but it would disappoint most of us waiting for Hayai for a really long time.....

downtime of 60 hrs a month is simply unacceptable even for a dirt cheap connection. I screw my cablewallas brains out if the net is down for more than 15 mins. Btw im on fivenet with an avg downtime for 3-5 hrs /mnth and ppl here screw his sorry ass for that :pA downtime of anything more than 2-3 hrs a month and hayai wud flop big time. Considering that MG is a perfectionist kinda guy i doubt he wud take any downtime lightly :)

It depends on who is conducting the installation. If it's an actual Hayai-owned network where we've purchased the assets of some cable operator, then we may charge some nominal fee of like Rs500 as you've mentioned. In the case that we have not purchased the cable operator and you're receiving our services through them, then I would guess that they will levy whatever charge they levy already.

As for upgrades, I have considered a few scenarios. Obviously it's better from our side if we do charge the Rs600, but, maybe it should depend on the upgrade.

If it's a forced upgrade (we have to rip out the existing copper because it's too problematic), then no charge should be applied.
If it's an optional upgrade, then the charge should be applied.

Then there's also the question of the length of time the person has been a customer. For example, an upgrade after 2 years (assuming the copper lasted that long) should probably attract a charge whereas an upgrade after 2 months probably should not.

I know, this seems like reverse logic to "penalize" loyal customers but I think it's reasonable in the respect that any other product would have a warranty period such that if the product goes defective after say 6 months, it gets replaced at no charge, but if it goes defective after 3 years then it's outside the warranty period and a charge would be levied etc etc. Besides, who knows what we'll be offering 2 years from now.

What do you all think? What sounds fair to you?
MG to tell u frankly I am 100% disappointed with ur plans. I did not imagine that u would even imagine for copper cabling. Any how let me make my point

1)I am 100% sure that installing copper line will not cost u Rs500 r Rs600
2)ok let us imagine that ur giving by copper means, better u charge them Rs1100 for installation and make up to that u upgrade to fiber as soon as possible(may be before 3 months) and make then compulsorily up gradation to fiber for free of charge.
3) As u had mentioned that if the customer is 2 yrs old n he is going upgradation, do to him for free(I would not be ready to pay again Rs1100 again, I am not a fool, people r not fools) u should eliminate this idea from ur mind.

u know copper sucks. U have been telling that u dont want to restrict speed, so better make to fiber connection to ur customers as soon as possible, so customers happy, for u less headache etc.....I have been a big suffer of broadband in INDIA. When I told my college that i am quitting as Game Administrator post in 1 game due to no proper connection, Every 1 laughed at me bcz i was the 1 who quited in this reason. Bcz of this sucking broadband I have suffered works loosing around 3k per month from that game.

Hope u dont follow other ISP foot steps. Keep always fiber as main priority

I am using a addon in firefox which refreshes hayai dot in homepage every 5 sec. :D
Sorry for going offtopic, but it will be helpful if you do the same on tech blogs. We tech blogger will be thankful to your for your kind help :P

MG to tell u frankly I am 100% disappointed with ur plans. I did not imagine that u would even imagine for copper cabling. Any how let me make my point

I'm not happy about it either, but it's being done out of necessity.

1)I am 100% sure that installing copper line will not cost u Rs500 r Rs600
2)ok let us imagine that ur giving by copper means, better u charge them Rs1100 for installation and make up to that u upgrade to fiber as soon as possible(may be before 3 months) and make then compulsorily up gradation to fiber for free of charge.
3) As u had mentioned that if the customer is 2 yrs old n he is going upgradation, do to him for free(I would not be ready to pay again Rs1100 again, I am not a fool, people r not fools) u should eliminate this idea from ur mind.

1. It won't. That's why we're not charging that much for the copper option. We consider them to be different products. As such, the Rs550 infrastructure charge is only for the fiber and for copper will be something less, maybe around Rs200 or so (waiting for my numbers!!)
2. Maybe we should give consumers the option to do what they wish. Within 3 months would be a very difficult promise to keep for every single customer, though. We think 12 or less for a significant percentage (say 75%) would be a better bet.
3. Fair enough, but I pose this question to you: if you'd purchased the iPhone 3G 2 years ago, would you be getting a free upgrade to iPhone 4? I somehow think not.

u know copper sucks. U have been telling that u dont want to restrict speed, so better make to fiber connection to ur customers as soon as possible, so customers happy, for u less headache etc.....I have been a big suffer of broadband in INDIA. When I told my college that i am quitting as Game Administrator post in 1 game due to no proper connection, Every 1 laughed at me bcz i was the 1 who quited in this reason. Bcz of this sucking broadband I have suffered works loosing around 3k per month from that game.

Hope u dont follow other ISP foot steps. Keep always fiber as main priority

I know copper sucks, however we've basically been forced to compromise in areas we don't yet have fiber directly available to us by using copper until said fiber does become available.

Fiber *IS* and always has been our main priority.

We are not building any copper at all, just buying up and buying out as many networks and as much fiber as we can. But, most of these networks have copper going in to the subscriber's house, so we have to start with that and have the copper replaced with fiber as soon as humanly possible. If the copper parts do happen to be in good enough condition (not many of them), I'm happy to let them sit there until they die while we build the fiber side-by-side so that customers have the option of fiber or copper for some time until we do rip out the copper.

perhaps you would consider including a plan, that is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back