How to get connected to Internet through Dongles?

• Thread starter Thread starter appleofedin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 98
  • Views Views 16,698
so how does one login on that? manually? i mean i can invest in a good quality wireless router. i mean it works better as it would give me a wider coverage on the ground floor.

The Asus one I use, it allows you set the login credentials. One time job. Same is the case with TP-Link. But Asus seems to be more stable. The router does the job of dialing the modem.

The only time you'd need to do stuff manually (by connecting dongle to a laptop) is while figuring out dongle/router placement for max signal strength and speed. If you want to, that is.

Before I post the link, I must let you know of the risks involved.

1. Dongle
It may happen the seller ships you a slightly used piece. Happened with me. :(

2. Router
Asus + Huawei usually works out well. I don't see any problems there.

3. Network
I'm guessing the tata network is decent around your place? If not, and if rcom and MTS are bad, you're stuck with some not so useful equipment :p

i am guessing that the router would be usable with a dsl modem? i do plan to buy a decent router to replace my buffalo so it would be fine. as for the dongle... having it as a backup should be helpful in any circumstance!

i get pretty confused with all this mobile internet stuff.
i have few questions:

1. dongle is the device which takes in the sim card and let you access internet using 2G,3G,CDMA,EVDO connections etc,depending on whatever data plan is active on the SIM card? you just need to connect the dongle to the USB port of your laptop and dial the connection using their app.

2. do we have routers that support SIM cards directly? that is instead of putting a SIM in a dongle and then connecting it to router using USB slot of the router,we just put the SIM inside the SIM slot of router and it does the connecting part itself....or no,dongle is a must.

3.when we say unlocked dongle then it means any SIM can be used in it and they are not operator locked?

4.do unlocked dongles support all types of connection?2G,3G,CDMA,EVDO ETC? or do we need different dongles for CDMA and GRPS connection?2G,3G and 4G are GPRS connection types,right?

5. out of all the operators in india which are the CDMA operators and which are GPRS? and is BSNL EVDO a CDMA, because i think their mobile network works on GPRS.

6. more closer you are to the tower of the operator higher the speed you will get,right?

7.how does one find out which operators are there in the vicinity?

8. what are some good unlocked dongles supporting all operators?

9.what are some good routers supporting dongles?

10.dongles are not for 24*7 use?

11. what does @x720 mean by "CDMA data plans are different from dongle data plans."

12. so instead of purchasing a locked dongle from the operator, one should always get an unlocked dongle and a SIM card of the operator he wants to use,activate data plan on it and use it.

Back