How to sideload apps on Reliance Jio Fiber Android set-top box?

• Thread starter Thread starter Evilbrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 278
  • Views Views 137,126

Evilbrain

ISP
Airtel
Got my STB today, tried to install jio tv apk but it seems like the box is locked or whatever i am not able to enable the "unknown sources" thing in the settings.

@bigman91 how did you do it ? Have found found out the “app installer” ? What error are you getting ?

@SG_curiosity no jiotv app is not working as shown In the pic.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 i think it might be 64bit apk. Try this version which worked for me. 18.4.armeabi-v7
xQq7jRL.jpg

Upvote 0
@ponnitheunreal - Thank you for that info. Visited Kodi.tv/download and downloaded ARMV7A (32 bit ) application and was able to install successfully. Also tested few files encoded in AVC/HEVC and plays without any hiccup.
Another thing to be noted is that files play even without internet connection on kodi (obvious). The standard default player on Jio viewed via Jio photos is basically like plex which requires access to internet for videos to play.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 welcome bruh... yes Kodi is awesome and Kodi with Plex is like rainbow sprinkle on Malted milk ice cream from a local ice cream chain (Amadora ice cream) here in Chennai

Upvote 0
@ponnitheunreal - HaHa.. Heard about it, there's one here in Blore as well I guess. Always used Plex on my PS4 and PC to watch high quality films on TV but the thought of both devices running kinda bothered me. This new STB seems like a gud alternative if it manages to play high bitrate files as well.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 the beauty of Plex is it can run on raspberry pie. I used to direct play on android box but it was tedious. My android tv couldn’t transcode truehd / dts on Kodi so I was planning to buy roku streaming stick which the least inexpensive 4khdr player. But today since I found this out I’m in cloud 9. Saved me a lot and now I’ll buy raspberry pie and hook up a external drive with all movies and enjoy it. The awesome Plex makes it feel good with nice ui and meta data makes us feel like our own Netflix lol.
btw which stb have you received ? One with tuner ? I think others without tuners Seems to have problem.

Upvote 0
@bigman91 yes the live tv connecter is called tuner which tunes to particular frequency to pass through broadcast to stb which decodes to tv for viewing.
I’m not sure why but people without tuner aren’t able to find the app installer. Maybe they don’t know how to find or it’s not available. Seems jio has lots of mysteries.

Upvote 0

Back