Jio Fiber New Bronze Plan 30Mbps performance with streaming HD/4K

• Thread starter Thread starter zervinb
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 37
  • Views Views 39,745
there's a youtube video showing 4k on tv and 4k on tv+laptop. 2 4k stream is laggy but 1 4k and 2 1080p is fine.
Netflix streams 4k at 15.6Mbps but on YouTube under stats for ners I have seen connections rate of 50 to 60Mbps. Having said that last year I had Airtel Vfiber with 40Mbps and I never faced any issues or buffering on 4k.

Connection rate doesn’t equal to actual bitrate of the file on YouTube lol.

WEGqUpD.jpeg

I think this video will be helpful for people researching on this topic.

Source

The reviewer explains that one 4K stream works along with two 1080p streams simultaneously. However, two simultaneous 4K streams stutter. These are 4K YouTube streams though. Not sure if Netflix 4K behaves the same way, especially if the stream includes Dolby Vision metadata.

checking video stream via youtube is pointless.... why? all major ISP have direct peer to google/google services so it is technically local stream with full 1gig pipe. so yotube and google service will have no issue running high res video on multiple hd streams. look at linus video for how netflix works.

So I'm doing some testing of my own. I'm currently still on the old Bronze plan till Saturday. Ran a 4K Dolby Vision video. Clicked the info button to check the video stream. It started at about 11Mbps and went upto 16 Mbps. However I'm guessing that this value may go up a little depending on the content.

Next, I tried an Ultra HD HDR video on Amazon Prime. Now the info button doesn't work here. So, with the video running, I ran a speed test simultaneously on my mobile. Reached a speed of about 75Mbps, meaning the video stream was using around 15-20Mbps. Now I know this is a little unscientific, but still it gives a rough idea that Ultra HD HDR on Amazon Prime shouldn't be a problem on 30Mbps.

This is not correct way to test. Streaming doesn't utilise the bandwidth equal to video bitrate continuously. It will buffer initially during which it will use very high internet bandwidth, then the video will play from the buffer, then it again starts to download video to add to the buffer, spiking internet use and so on. You can't monitor network to see video bitrate. At best you can find average bitrate of the video by accurately determining how much data the app used during the full video stream. But even that will not give you peak bitrate of the variable bitrate video that streaming sites use.

Yea I understand that my testing is unscientific, but I'm guessing that on the 30Mbps plan, a 4K video may take a little time to initially buffer and start, but once it starts I don't think it should buffer in between, assuming that there is nothing else streaming simultaneously.

Checked a 4K Dolby Vision video on Hotstar (Togo, the only such video I could find on the platform). On checking video performance (this is present in the video quality menu), it shows that the video has buffered approx 45-50 seconds ahead, but it was using about 50Mbps of network speed. Surprisingly a simultaneous speed test showed almost 80-85Mbps, so not exactly sure what's happening.

Back