Laptop suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 95
  • Views Views 19,503
uthfull, there are some differences between xps/inspiron (vostro not sure)... for example in xps m1330 you only have option of 5400rpm HDD and nvidia 8400 not 8600. in inspiron (cant remember 14 or 15 inch) you can choose nvidia 8600 and a 7200 rpm HDD.also some of the inspiron models you can pick higher resolution for your screen for example 1440x900 instead of 1280x800 i believe...just browse around the site you'll find out.

dont go for vostro.. its for small biz.. some warranty and added care are cumpulsory with it.. and not much graphics... dont ever look into vostro :D and regarding xps... adding to vishal's post.. i feel xps is real sexy laptop compared to inspiron but yeah having just the 8400 is a bummer...

@viralbug:I think I'll settle for the inspiron now... want a coloured laptop :P@vishalrao:I browsed thru the site... I think the Inspiron 1520 model with a lil customiztion n a lil colour wud do...@DigitialDude:Ya I tried to customize vostro according to my own needs n it turned out to be more expensive that the othersThanks guys, then its decided!! I'll be goin in for a Dell... 1520 Inspiron.Any ideas about the colour now :pBlue, White or plain Black?

i like black, gray or silver myself :)you didnt mention your budget (prices in first post under 60k) but you can get a mean 1520 machine for Rs 80k...c2d 2 ghz 4mb cache, 2gb ram, 200gb 7200 rpm HDD, nvdia 8600, WSXGA LCD (1680x1050)... drool...and damn the HP laptop site is unavailable today, wanted to check out their models for my uncle...

Vishal I'm getting the config you just mentioned apart from the 200gb hdd n wsxga screen. I'm leaving the standard options there and I comfortably get a system just under 60k

nice, congrats! pls post your ordering and delivery time experience here when you can :)im interesting in knowing what the payment methods are and how they work exactly... need to know this for possible 2 purchases (for sis and uncle) from Dell heh

Well I just placed my order. They say they'll be contacting me within 1 business day.The only stupid part is that entering a fax number is mandatory. Since I don't have a fax machine, I just entered my mobile number to place the order. They're not accepting orders online. They also give you the option for tax exemption but say that the delivery would take 5 more days.One tip, its better to customize the promotional offers, like I did to get a cheaper deal. Customizing a normal model would prove costly I guess.I'll keep you updated.

Hi All,

One thing which all of you people seem to be missing is the High Defination port like HDMI or DVI .

I would have gone for Inspiron 1520 but then I realised it has no HDMI or DVI port .
I had a talk with Dell Bangalore office also and they told me thay Dell has no 14.1 inch or 15.4 inch model with HDMI and s video.I feel both are neccessary .Dell XPS 1330 has HDMI but no s video.

The HDMI or DVI port may not sound important today but later on when one wishes to connect to LCD or plasma TVs or monitors,only then he realises that High Defination Multimedia Interface is required for connecting laptop to these High Def displays.

So I have shortlisted HP Pavilion dv9507 tx which has good specifications with HDMI port and fingerprint reader .However the display is 17 inches .

Following are the specifications of this model :
HP Pavilion dv9507TX Notebook PC*-* Product Specifications*

It is available in India and price is around 67K and weight is around three and a half kgs.

I would have preferred a notebook with similar specifications but a smaller display.

Something like the following model which is not available in India :
HP Pavilion dv6519TX Notebook PC*-* Product Specifications*

Im not aware of any HP Indian notebook model with screen smaller than 17 inch along with HDMI port .

If some one has info on other HP notebook models which have smallers displays than 17 inch as well HDMI port then please let me know .

Incidently,the portion mentioning the various HP Pavilion models on HP India website is not working but Ive informed the webmaster.Let's see when it is rectified.

Regards,

Farmboy

good point. very few people will want to connect hdmi display to a notebook i guess tho. most tvs accept svideo anyways. HP is the second choice after Dell. i have bought an hp pavilion 12.1 inch tablet pc tx1302au model myself just 3 weeks ago for 60k :)

good point. very few people will want to connect hdmi display to a notebook i guess tho. most tvs accept svideo anyways. HP is the second choice after Dell. i have bought an hp pavilion 12.1 inch tablet pc tx1302au model myself just 3 weeks ago for 60k :)

Hello,

I suppose hp pavilion tx 1302au is an AMD model ?

Still so costly ?

Are AMD models better than Intel ones ?

How has been your experience with this model so far ?What about HP customer care ?

Back