Laptop suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 95
  • Views Views 19,503
@farmboy, yup its amd, will paste details below. i guess its costly coz its a "tablet" and maybe i got a slightly high-end config, regular laptop might be cheaper. Dell's models certainly are also great price/performance, especially since they have core 2 duo and nvidia video :)

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-58 CPU
64-bit, dual core, 65nm, 1 MB cache, 1.9 GHz
AMD-V virtualisation support in the BIOS
2 GB DDR2 667 Mhz PC2-5300 RAM
160 GB 5400 RPM Hard Disk
LightScribe 8x dual layer DVD writer
12.1 inch touchscreen LCD 1280 x 800 WXGA
nVidia "onboard" GeForce Go 6150
Built-in Webcam, Mic and Altec Lansing Speakers
Bluetooth 2.0 EDR and Broadcom 4321 802.11 a/b/g wireless
Fingerprint Reader - AuthenTec AES 1610

my alternate choice would have been a dell inspiron 1520 with high-performance options which brings the cost to Rs 80k...

I don't have ne HD display at my place... nor will I be buying in the near future... cable wallah kuch khas nahin dikhata!! :PJust got a SMS from Dell telling me they'll call me shortly.

also let us know how you go about paying for and confirming receipt of payment, and what is the delivery timeframe promised...

as for me i might have to buy a warranty from Dell india for my laptop! i made a mistake and the warranty on it is applicable only in the US :o

is it even possible to purchase a local warranty for something bought abroad?

well the ownership is now in my name on an indian address. that's why the laptop has no warranty at the moment. if i transfer the ownership back to a US address, it gets back a three year long warranty. Dell has a real weird system. dell rep confirmed that the laptop still has a 3 year long warranty as long as it is being taken in by their US division.

@uthfull- whats the exact config you chose? and what colour? pink? :pi would personally choose red or blue. looks totally cool. :cool:black/grey/silver if using for business.

well the ownership is now in my name on an indian address. that's why the laptop has no warranty at the moment. if i transfer the ownership back to a US address, it gets back a three year long warranty.

Dell has a real weird system. dell rep confirmed that the laptop still has a 3 year long warranty as long as it is being taken in by their US division.

Hello,

Let me inform you that about 3 years back I bought a Dell lattitude C610 notebook from a shop in Chandigarh .
They told me that the system was registered in the USA so I thought that the warranty was not valid in India.

However,I thought of contacting Dell via email and ask them what can be done .

To my pleasant surprise they transfered my original Dell US tag number to India without any difficulty and the warranty became valid here in India .What you have to do is just fill up the online tag transfer form giving details of the original owner.

Interestingly as a result of the warranty transfer to India I got all the faulty parts of the system replaced including the LCD which was giving me trouble.

Although Dell is my preferred brand but the fact that they take 2-3 or more weeks to deliver the notebook from Malaysia to India resulted in my choosing HP notebooks.

So Im thinking of buying a readily available 17 inch HP Pavilion dv 9507 tx notebook instead of waiting endlessly for XPS or Inspiron to arrive here.

I wonder if Dell realises that this system is impacting their sales in India or not .

Dont know when Dell will realise that people would rather prefer Dell outlets in India with readily available notebooks rather than wait endlessly for notebooks to arrive .

Has anyone experience of HP after sales customer service ?Even they say they have next business on site service !

Regards,

Farmboy

What you have to do is just fill up the online tag transfer form giving details of the original owner.

i have done that already. the point is that the original owned bought a local warranty which they claim is only valid in the US... the ownership is in my name on an indian address and the new tag has no warranty associated with it atm.

Back