Laptop suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter uthfull
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 95
  • Views Views 19,503
@itsme: i paid rs 60k for it. and ya you cant expect to do good gaming on a laptop you might need to drop the resolution/settings etc. if you want 256mb geforce 8600 get the Dell 1420 or 1520 whichever has it. I think 1520 also has option of getting a 7200 rpm HDD and a WSXGA screen at 1680x1050 :)

Thanks Guys, 1420 is having T5k series processor, but Im looking for T7k. (Blindly believing that T7k is more powerful than T5k lol... ). Im not a hardcore gamer, though occasionally love to try my luck in some RPGs/Strategy games (RCT3 is my fav..). My primary requirement is to run some architectural softwares and 3D Max. 128MB graphics card will work fine for all softwares which I use, though will take some time to render some maps. Im only concerned about the future when the latest versions of these software will need a min 256 configuration. it will be difficult to upgrade at that time. I know that its gonna be like that and at one point I may be forced to upgrade, but would like to keep things as it is for some time. I think HP/compaq is having some options in my budget. Will check it out.

if you want to do graphics then avoid HP/compaq, their screens are low-resolution. go for a Dell 1520 or 1720 model :)

@vishalrao:
Well I placed the order last night and got a sms from them this morning. They tried to call me up but couldn't get through due to the airtel network. So finally I had to call them up. The CCR was quite courteous. He asked for my mobile number and then informed me who my dedicated account manager was and told me that he would call me within a few minutes time. After a while the designated guy called and asked me if I wanted some change in the configuration to which I refused. I asked him about the final amount to be paid again and it was the same as that displayed on their website.

I asked him about the payment. He gave me three options : Credit card, cheque or demand draft. I forgot to ask about cash but I will try and enquire from him when I can. As for me, I'm paying by cheque. He would be sending a guy to my place for the collection of the cheque. 100% of the amount needs to be paid in advance.

As soon as I finished talking to him he sent me an email asking for my confirmation to place the order and the deliviery address. The email included an attached copy of the quotation. After I sent him a reply confirming my order he called up again. I pestered him to include some goodies and he promised to include a free "rainbow mouse" and that he might add an antivirus package or something. In short, don't expect them to give you any further gifts or something this diwali. :P

@viralbug:
Base System

[UW507] Intel(R) Core(TM)2Duo Processor T7300
[BRM-048] 2.0 GHz, 4MB Cache, 800 MHz FSB
[DX476] Label (Dual Core & Intel Wireless)

Operating System

[FOS-I501] Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Premium - with AERO experience
[NX325] System Driver DVD Kit (Vista)
[UX567] Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Software Driver
[DMN-065] Added performance for entertainment and movie making. Features the new 3D Aero
[DMN-066] graphics interface. Includes Windows Media Centre functionality,
[DMN-067] Movie Maker, advanced photo features and DVD authoring. 2GB+ RAM recommended.
[MU829] Dell(TM) Wireless 355 Bluetooth Module
[XM544] Dell(TM) PC-Restore
[DMN-025] PC Restore will occupy some HDD capacity.
[DMN-026] The capacity varies with preloaded material and operating environment.

Dell Services: Hardware Maintenance

[WXTX111-IN] 1-Year Limited Warranty (Next Business Day Service - parts & labour)
[WXPH311-IN] 1 Year Telephone Technical Support (9am To 6pm, Monday - Friday)
[SRVCINTI-1] Regional Support Within Asia Pacific Countries for Notebooks with 1 Yr NBD

Dell Services: Installation

[IXPS0101-CL] Basic System Installation
Freight Charges

[FRT790-INSP] Inspiron(TM) Handling & Insurance Charges (India)
Delivery & Freight Charges

[FRT02/790-INSP] Inspiron(TM) Delivery Charges (India)

Item included in the System

[BRM-005] 1 ExpressCard Slot, (DOES NOT SUPPORT PCMCIA CARDS)
[MM281] Dell(TM) Support Center 1.0
[NR373] Regulatory Label
[FP915] Shipping Mod with Powercord
[2K159] Mod Specs Info (India)
[NX186] Dell(TM) Support
[BMC-011] 8-in-1 media card reader
[R0078] TV-out Cable
[NP091] Dell(TM) Media Direct
[DMN-048] Approx. 2.0GB of HDD space will be allocated to Dell Media Direct.
[BNC-010] Integrated 10/100 Fast Ethernet
[UW833] Internal 56K Modem
[TH797] RJ-11 Modem cable (AP)
[PM334] Dell(TM) Keyboard with Touchpad (English)
[PU575] Dell(TM) Travel Remote Control
[DK903] Noise Isolation Ear Buds

Display

[UX291] 15.4" Widescreen WXGA (1280x800) Display with TrueLife (TM)
Color Kits

[UX299] Midnight Blue Color with Microsatin Finish and camera

Memory

[XD717] 2GB (2 X 1024MB) 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

Audio Solution

[GM519] Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio Software

Video Card

[WW684] NVIDIA(R) GeForce(TM) 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR2 dedicated graphic memory
[UW304] Base Assembly (Discrete)

Floppy Drive

[BFD-008] No Floppy Drive

Hard Drives

[MY607] 160GB SATA Hard Drive

Internal Optical Drive

[WR168] Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Combination Drive with dual layer write capabilities
[XM387] Roxio Creator 9.0

Security Software

[CM132] McAfee(R) Security Center(TM) – 30 days trial

Wireless Network Solution

[TP270] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945 Dual Band 802.11a/g 54Mbps Wireless Mini Card

Adapter

[RH778] 90W AC Adapter

Primary Battery

[KU845] 9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Carry Case

[UF546] DELL Large Nylon Case
[RU500] Shipment Box for Case

Remark

[RMK-001] Discount is only valid if the corresponding upgraded item is selected above.
[RMK-002] Limited time promotional offer only. No further discounts apply.

I chose BLUE!

@farmboy:
There's no HD content provided by the cabewallahs I believe. And I personally don't think one would just buy a HD display to simply connect it with a PC or a player to watch movies or play games using a console.

Till now they have been quite prompt with the service. Lets hope they live upto what they promise.

Estimated time for delivery that he's given me is 3 weeks... WITHIN 3 WEEKS. He says after he receives the payment he'll forward the order to Singapore.

Finally...
TOTAL PRICE : Rs 58,220
E-VALUE CODE : Q541103N

Tip : If you're buying a dell system, its advisable to check for the system you want throughout the website and customize it from different pages. You can get variations in the final price depending upon from where your customiztion process orginated. I got my system for 58000 but if I configure it from another page on the DELL website it comes to around 64000.

congrats on your new system.... s e x y config :yahoo:and NO you cant pay by cash.... for the same amount I got my current Inspiron for far low config 1.5 yrs b4 :(tech obsolescence rate suxx :D

:happy: thanks pal... I could've gotten a XPS which is advertised on the website for almost the same amount... But somehow I feel I have a better system... what am I missing... the shock absorber?And yes... for the same amount, no other brand was offering this configuration in India.And I personally don't find the HP Entertainmet series too exciting. The only added feature they have is a fingerprint reader. I dunno whats the hype.

nice! within 3 weeks? that would make me bite my fingernails waiting for it :)ya credit card, DD is not what i prefer. glad to hear you can pay by cheque, thats what i'll do for any Dell purchases, probably their 24inch LCD hehe :)

3 weeks is the biggest problem!! I can't wait a day now that i've placed the order!!!But going by their record, it shud not take more than 15 days.Same here... somewhow a crossed cheque makes me feel all secure! :P

great config for 58k! and nice colour too. :thumbsup:btw did you bargain? i think they reduce the cost a bit if you bargain on the phone. and maybe you could have got more warranty. Dell's warranty really rocks.

Back